TAGS

  • Florian MARTIN
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2002
      is there a list of all TAGS available somewhere? Perhaps sorted by category? (i.e. FEAT
      TAGS, SKILL TAGS, CLASS TAGS etc...)?

      Florian MARTIN
      12, sq Jules Ferry, 95110 Sannois (FR)
      Phone: (+33) 06 73 48 28 19
    • Mynex
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2002
        My guess would be in the documentation. ;p

        Mynex
        - Code Monkey Publishing Co-Founder (www.codemonkeypublishing.com)
        - PCGen's #1 Evil Assistant
        - PCGen Data & Doc Silverback

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 2002
          Well, this is not entirely accurate the documentation is missing what I
          consider quite a lot in regards tags and formatting thereof. And he did
          say a list of ALL; the documentation is definitely NOT comprehensive.

          Without assistance from this mailing list or a good example in an
          already existing data file it is impossible to figure out how to
          accomplish many things just from the documentation alone.

          I think also, the request was for just a "list" rather then the multiple
          pages of tags with so many numerous examples and the like that you need
          to do a lot of scrolling up and down to scan the entire set of tags. I
          too often think it would be "handy" just to have a brief list for each
          category, all on one page in order to be allow a "quick glance" to find
          what is needed. (In that respect, I think the old table-format
          documentation was more useful)

          Speaking of this, there are also quite a few errors in the documentation
          regarding formatting of several tags and the data which follows, such as
          the example showing a pipe where in fact a comma is required, or
          omitting part of a tag that is necessary, or showing a equals sign where
          one needs to actually use a period, etc. I spent the holiday weekend
          creating all of the lst files for several new sourcebooks that I
          recently purchased and stumbled on a fair number of these errors; wish
          I'd been a bit less focused on what I was working on and actually taken
          the time to keep track of the errors and omissions that I found. I
          apologize for my lack of forethought in that I didn't keep track at all.
          :(

          Shawn A. Chesak
          http://www.stormkeep.net

        • Tir Gwaith
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 1, 2002
            > is there a list of all TAGS available somewhere? Perhaps sorted by
            category? (i.e. FEAT
            > TAGS, SKILL TAGS, CLASS TAGS etc...)?

            In the Docs, perhaps? Part 3 of every release...

            Chief LST Chimp
            Strange Monkey
            MM Race Dragon
          • merton_monk
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 1, 2002
              --- In pcgen@y..., "Shawn A. Chesak" <shawnchesak@s...> wrote:
              > Well, this is not entirely accurate the documentation is missing
              what I
              > consider quite a lot in regards tags and formatting thereof. And
              he did
              > say a list of ALL; the documentation is definitely NOT
              comprehensive.

              That was more true in the past - lately we've had a good crew of Doc
              Monkeys working to make sure that all the tags are accounted for and
              that they work as advertised. At this point in time I'm fairly
              certain that all (or at least 99.9% of them!) the tags are listed.
              For each file type (e.g. feats) there are 2 files you'd need to look
              in - 1 for the file type specifically (the feat file) and the global
              one.

              > Without assistance from this mailing list or a good example in an
              > already existing data file it is impossible to figure out how to
              > accomplish many things just from the documentation alone.

              Very true - I'm not sure I've ever read any documentation that
              explained everything fully enough. The data files themselves are a
              wonderful working example for just about all the tags, so you can
              see how the tag is actually used. Many tags have many variations
              available - not all of the variations are used in the datafiles, but
              at least a couple of examples should give you enough to start.

              > I think also, the request was for just a "list" rather then the
              multiple
              > pages of tags with so many numerous examples and the like that you
              need
              > to do a lot of scrolling up and down to scan the entire set of
              tags. I
              > too often think it would be "handy" just to have a brief list for
              each
              > category, all on one page in order to be allow a "quick glance" to
              find
              > what is needed. (In that respect, I think the old table-format
              > documentation was more useful)

              We're quickly approaching a point where I don't think many new
              significant tags will be required. Then it will be more appropriate
              to create a file which lists all the tags and tokens and can link
              you to a fuller description.

              > Speaking of this, there are also quite a few errors in the
              documentation
              > regarding formatting of several tags and the data which follows,
              such as
              > the example showing a pipe where in fact a comma is required, or
              > omitting part of a tag that is necessary, or showing a equals sign
              where
              > one needs to actually use a period, etc. I spent the holiday
              weekend
              > creating all of the lst files for several new sourcebooks that I
              > recently purchased and stumbled on a fair number of these errors;
              wish
              > I'd been a bit less focused on what I was working on and actually
              taken
              > the time to keep track of the errors and omissions that I found. I
              > apologize for my lack of forethought in that I didn't keep track
              at all.
              > :(

              Just saying "there are errors in the documentation!" is likely to
              hurt the feelings of the doc monkeys who have spent so much time and
              energy on vastly improving the condition of it. Code Monkeys should
              never be left to document what they write - that's not their
              strength, and who wants to do something they're not good at??? ;)
              As you note, it would be better to give a list of the errors so the
              Doc Monkeys know what needs fixing. I don't think anyone would
              maintain that the documentation is perfect, but the scope of it is
              big enough that if you don't know exactly what's in error, it's not
              worth spending much time looking through the haystack. If you or
              anyone else comes across something where you think the documentation
              is insufficient, wrong or entirely missing, let us know! The Doc
              Monkeys take great pride in their work, and they're happy to make it
              better. The Data Monkeys appreciate the greatly improved status of
              the documentation because that means training new data monkeys is
              even easier and less time consuming. The Code Monkeys are happy
              because they have to spend less time spelunking through the code to
              figure out how that tag 'really' works!

              So.... telling someone to look in the documentation isn't a bogus
              answer - if they don't find what they're looking for, then that
              alone tells us that maybe the documentation could use some TLC in
              that area.

              -Bryan

              > Shawn A. Chesak
              > http://www.stormkeep.net

            • Shawn A. Chesak
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 1, 2002
                Shawn A. Chesak
                http://www.stormkeep.net
                > We're quickly approaching a point where I don't think many new
                > significant tags will be required. Then it will be more appropriate
                > to create a file which lists all the tags and tokens and can link
                > you to a fuller description.

                That will be nice! BTW, I meant no slight in regards to this. I wasn't
                implying that this is what the doc's currently "should" have, but rather
                what I believe the original poster was looking for.

                > Just saying "there are errors in the documentation!" is likely to
                > hurt the feelings of the doc monkeys who have spent so much time and
                > energy on vastly improving the condition of it. Code Monkeys should
                > never be left to document what they write - that's not their
                > strength, and who wants to do something they're not good at??? ;)
                > As you note, it would be better to give a list of the errors so the
                > Doc Monkeys know what needs fixing. <snipped for brevity>

                Yes, I do apologize for not keeping track better of where I found
                mistakes. I've been a user of PCGen practically since the program was
                first made available to us over the internet. During this time I have
                always made an effort to post here any problems, errors, or what have
                you that I find in order to help the team of you (previously just the
                individual) working on it.

                As I see it, this wonderful program is a tremendous tool for myself and
                the players in my game and I'm extremely grateful for all of those who
                work so hard to make it available for us. Because I can't consistently
                devote any portion of time to projects such as this, I have not
                volunteered my time to directly help y'all -- letting you know through
                this list about any problems I find is what I consider the little bit
                that I CAN do to help.

                And I will agree, the documentation is very comprehensive (just not 100
                percent complete...yet). But then, this can be also said regarding the
                program itself, as y'all are continuously working on, fixing, tweaking
                and improving upon it. Though this can occasionally create some
                complications or confusion for users, I'd say that it's a good thing,
                eh? ;-)