[BUG?] PcGen predictably locking up computer.

  • shadowisgod
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 30, 2002
      Using Windows 98 SE (all updates), with latest Java 1.4.x.

      The problem is 75% of the time whenever I click the menu (for
      example, file menu to open a new character), the program causes the
      entire computer to either lock up and require a forced restart (using
      power button), or causes a massive amount of blue screens that
      require a Ctrl-Alt-Del restart.

      Also, about 50% of the time PCGen will lock up my system the same as
      above whenever I try to save my preferences, and also locks up every
      so often whenever I switch between tabs.

      Due to how badly it locks up I can't exactly use the console to see
      what's happening.

      I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling java again and again, I've
      run reg cleaners, file sweepers, trying to get rid of some old file
      or reference that could be causing it, but no luck.

      Could use any advice.
    • Emily Smirle
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 30, 2002
        shadowisgod wrote:
        > Using Windows 98 SE (all updates), with latest Java 1.4.x.

        <snip>

        When's the last time you did a complete reinstall of windows?
        If the answer is over 6 months, you may want to get a technician to help
        you with that... because java applications don't reach deep enough into
        the operating system to cause blue screens.
        rehashing a topic which has been rehashed into hash browns, and corned
        beef hash, eaten, excreted, composted, and sent in support of restoring
        central american rainforests." -- Rob Hines Jr.
      • Sage Sam
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2002
          > Using Windows 98 SE (all updates), with latest Java 1.4.x.

          That's what I'm on right now!

          > The problem is 75% of the time whenever I click the menu (for
          > example, file menu to open a new character), the program causes the
          > entire computer to either lock up and require a forced restart (using
          > power button), or causes a massive amount of blue screens that
          > require a Ctrl-Alt-Del restart.

          I've never had it cause a blue screen, but I have had the machine 'hang' for
          practical purposes. Basically what was happening was the program would
          go into a 'busy' state, change the cursor, and forever be flip-flopping
          between
          busy and ready. Try turning off the experimental wait cursor as the first
          thing
          you do when you start PCGen.

          Or, since you're having problems with the preferences menu also, you can try
          editing your options.ini -- look for pcgen.options.useExperimentalCursor
          and change it to false instead of true, i.e.

          pcgen.options.useExperimentalCursor=false

          Hopefully, this will make everything happy again.

          --Sage Sam
        • gildoggydogg
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 1, 2002
            This may also be a memory problem. Java is a memory hog, and if you
            have a low amount of memory or you have a bad memory stick this could
            be the cause.