Re: [pcgen] Re: [TIR] Monk Damage Reduction

  • Drew Bernat
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 29, 2002
      On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, merton_monk wrote:

      > -Bryan
      >
      > p.s. I wonder if being an 'outsider' will prove to be more of a
      > disadvantage???

      From my campaign:

      "Is he an evil outsider?"

      "Well, he was one of the loners in evil kindergarten..."

      Drew

      --
      Drew Bernat __ ____
      abernat@... | | |
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 30, 2002
        Let's go by the Numbers: A BONUS only works if something has been DEFINEd,
        albiet some things like CHECKS and BAB are hardcode-defined for a character.

        BONUS:DR|+1|x will ONLY work if there is a DR:#/+1 You can use
        BONUS:DR|string|# till you are blue, and it won't do anything unless it
        matches up with a DR:<num>/string. The strings have to match exactly. And
        that is how it is SUPPOSED to be. It's a BONUS, not a definition of Damage
        Reduction.

        It looks like the Monk is missing that, along with the Transform to
        Outsider, which I may be able to do now. Going to look into that this
        weekend. In the mean time, Monks should have DR:20/+1 tag for those of you
        wanting to fix it at home.

        The other Feat bit, with a BONUS:DR|+WIS|2*COUNT[FEATTYPE=Tattoo] is not the
        way I think you want to go about it, unless there is a DR:num/+WIS, if the
        WIS will even be substituted in a DR tag, which I doubt.

        Chief LST Chimp
        Strange Monkey
        MM Race Dragon
      • jeff.kelly@t-online.de
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 30, 2002
          > Let's go by the Numbers: A BONUS only works if something has been DEFINEd,
          > albiet some things like CHECKS and BAB are hardcode-defined for a
          character.

          > BONUS:DR|+1|x will ONLY work if there is a DR:#/+1 You can use
          > BONUS:DR|string|# till you are blue, and it won't do anything unless it
          > matches up with a DR:<num>/string. The strings have to match exactly.
          And
          > that is how it is SUPPOSED to be. It's a BONUS, not a definition of
          Damage
          > Reduction.

          This obviously means that in the current setup Feats like the crab tattoo of
          the tattooed monk class or some epic feats won't work correctly in pcgen
          since they grant DR to classes which don't have the DR Tag. Should I file a
          FREQ for this?

          > The other Feat bit, with a BONUS:DR|+WIS|2*COUNT[FEATTYPE=Tattoo] is not
          the
          > way I think you want to go about it, unless there is a DR:num/+WIS, if the
          > WIS will even be substituted in a DR tag, which I doubt.

          See above. There are feats which calculate DR based on stats or the number
          of tattoos worn or... It is no great deal but when you get WotCs ok to
          integrate their source material into pcgen you will most probably have to
          change this.

          Regards

          Christian
        • merton_monk
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 30, 2002
            --- In pcgen@y..., jeff.kelly@t... wrote:

            > > Let's go by the Numbers: A BONUS only works if something has
            been DEFINEd,
            > > albiet some things like CHECKS and BAB are hardcode-defined for a
            > character.
            > >
            > > BONUS:DR|+1|x will ONLY work if there is a DR:#/+1 You can use
            > > BONUS:DR|string|# till you are blue, and it won't do anything
            unless it
            > > matches up with a DR:<num>/string. The strings have to match
            exactly.
            > And
            > > that is how it is SUPPOSED to be. It's a BONUS, not a
            definition of
            > Damage
            > > Reduction.
            >
            > This obviously means that in the current setup Feats like the crab
            tattoo of
            > the tattooed monk class or some epic feats won't work correctly in
            pcgen
            > since they grant DR to classes which don't have the DR Tag. Should
            I file a
            > FREQ for this?

            The tatoo monk or Feat itself could have DR:+1|0 and BONUS:DR|+1|10
            to guarantee that the +1 DR is increased by 10. If another feat or
            class has DR:+1|10 the BONUS will bump the value to 20. You just
            need to have a DR:+1|x *anywhere* on the character for the BONUS: to
            kick in.

            -Bryan
          • Paul Grosse
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 2, 2002
              <snip>
              It looks like the Monk is missing that, along with the Transform to
              Outsider, which I may be able to do now. Going to look into that this
              weekend. In the mean time, Monks should have DR:20/+1 tag for those
              of you
              wanting to fix it at home.

              The other Feat bit, with a BONUS:DR|+WIS|2*COUNT[FEATTYPE=Tattoo] is
              not the
              way I think you want to go about it, unless there is a DR:num/+WIS, if
              the
              WIS will even be substituted in a DR tag, which I doubt.

              Chief LST Chimp
              Strange Monkey
              MM Race Dragon
              </snip>

              Tir, also note that the type is "Native Outsider" as opposed to
              "Outsider" which then clarifies that the being can be raised from the
              dean on the Prime Material plane.

              Paul Grosse
              MSN Messenger: Nylanfs@...
              ICQ: 14397299
              AO: Nylan
              Various forums: Nylan (or Nylanfs)

              "The Earth is just too small and fragile a basket for the human race
              to keep all it's eggs in." - Robert Heinlein

              P.S. Sorry for replying to all these old messages, I'm going through
              all the email over the long weekend
            • Tir Gwaith
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 2, 2002
                > Tir, also note that the type is "Native Outsider" as opposed to
                > "Outsider" which then clarifies that the being can be raised from the
                > dean on the Prime Material plane.

                Hm.. I think you are remembering a bit of FR - the SRD and the PHB mention
                nothing about "Native"

                And it says nothing about raising from the dead. Which pretty much leaves
                that bit up to the DM (either it stays as the race originally, or no raising
                whatsoever since the character is an outsider.)

                Chief LST Chimp
                Strange Monkey
                MM Race Dragon
              • gsbingl
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 2, 2002
                  If we're talking about the Monk's outsider status from the Perfect
                  Self class feature, it was errata'd with the following:

                  "Unlike other outsiders, the monk can still be brought back from the
                  dead."

                  Byngl

                  --- In pcgen@y..., "Tir Gwaith" <thoron-tir-gwaith@l...> wrote:
                  > > Tir, also note that the type is "Native Outsider" as opposed to
                  > > "Outsider" which then clarifies that the being can be raised from
                  the
                  > > dean on the Prime Material plane.
                  >

                  > Hm.. I think you are remembering a bit of FR - the SRD and the PHB
                  mention
                  > nothing about "Native"
                  >
                  > And it says nothing about raising from the dead. Which pretty much
                  leaves
                  > that bit up to the DM (either it stays as the race originally, or
                  no raising
                  > whatsoever since the character is an outsider.)
                  >
                  > Tir Gwaith
                  > Soul Reaper Silverback and List File Silverback
                  > Chief LST Chimp
                  > Strange Monkey
                  > MM Race Dragon
                • Tir Gwaith
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 2, 2002
                    Still doesn't do anything to display in PCGen. I'll check the Template I'm
                    applying tho.

                    Chief LST Chimp
                    Strange Monkey
                    MM Race Dragon
                    > If we're talking about the Monk's outsider status from the Perfect
                    > Self class feature, it was errata'd with the following:
                    >
                    > "Unlike other outsiders, the monk can still be brought back from the
                    > dead."
                    >
                    > Byngl
                  • Keith Davies
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 3, 2002
                      On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 06:02:06PM -0600, Tir Gwaith wrote:
                      > > Tir, also note that the type is "Native Outsider" as opposed to
                      > > "Outsider" which then clarifies that the being can be raised from the
                      > > dean on the Prime Material plane.
                      >

                      > Hm.. I think you are remembering a bit of FR - the SRD and the PHB mention
                      > nothing about "Native"
                      >
                      > And it says nothing about raising from the dead. Which pretty much leaves
                      > that bit up to the DM (either it stays as the race originally, or no raising
                      > whatsoever since the character is an outsider.)

                      Under the circumstances, and given that the character is a monk and has
                      achieved 'perfection', I'd rule that on death he goes straight to
                      Nirvana -- no raising possible. It's probably part of the reason they
                      made him an Outsider. He is considered a 'native Outsider' because
                      banishment sends him back to his home plane -- the Prime Material -- and
                      thus doesn't really work.

                      Keith
                      --
                      Keith Davies