[[DOC] Damage Reduction

  • jeff.kelly@t-online.de
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 29, 2002
      Hi Folks.

      Is there a way to make damage reduction show up on the character sheets
      exports?
      My Monk has DR 10/1 and it would be nice if i would see it anzwhere on
      the output sheet

      regards

      christian
    • Barak
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 29, 2002
        If you're using a standard sheet it's already there... Above the armor
        calculations.

        Barak
        Output Sheet Chimp
        LST Gibbon

      • jeff.kelly@t-online.de
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 29, 2002
          Barak schrieb:
          > If you're using a standard sheet it's already there...
          > Above the armor
          > calculations.

          Yes I know.
          The problem is that the DR Value does not show up in the sheet. There
          is a field "Damage Reduction" there but even if you have DR (like a
          monk of level 20) the field stays empty. So instead of 10/+1 it shows
          nothing.

          Regards

          Christian
        • Barak
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 29, 2002
            Well, the token seems to be working fine.

            I created an 11th level barbarian and his damage reduction shows as it
            should.

            I just found your problem... There is no damage reduction tag for a 20th
            level monk (or any level monk for that matter) in the phbclasses.lst, so
            of course it doesn't show up on the sheet.

            I've flagged this for Tir to look at. It could be an oversight or it
            could be that DR for a monk is not in the SRD (I've lost my link to it
            so I can't check right away). Tir will be able to tell us.

            Barak
            Output Sheet Chimp
            LST Gibbon

            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 29, 2002
              Barak schrieb:

              > I just found your problem... There is no damage reduction
              > tag for a 20th
              > level monk (or any level monk for that matter) in the
              > phbclasses.lst, so
              > of course it doesn't show up on the sheet.

              Even if i add DR with a feat? I have a feat with
              BONUS:DR|+WIS|2*Count[FEATTYPE+Tattoo] in my feat.lst file and even
              then it won't show up. (It doesn't show up either when i just add
              BONUS:DR|+1|10 for that matter)

              > I've flagged this for Tir to look at. It could be an
              > oversight or it
              > could be that DR for a monk is not in the SRD (I've lost
              > my link to it
              > so I can't check right away).

              I hope its okay to quote from the SRD
              The SRD states: "At 20th level, a monk is forevermore treated as an
              outsider rather than as a humanoid. Additionally, the monk gains damage
              reduction 20/+1"

              Regards

              Christian
            • Barak
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 29, 2002

                Hmm, that I don't know about. About all I can say at the moment is that
                if there is a DR tag in the class file it gets picked up and reported.
                :P

                We might need a code monkey to take a look and see what's happening with
                BONUS:DR.

                > I hope its okay to quote from the SRD
                > The SRD states: "At 20th level, a monk is forevermore treated
                > as an outsider rather than as a humanoid. Additionally, the
                > monk gains damage reduction 20/+1"

                It certainly seems there should be a DR tag for the monk then at 20th
                level.

                Obviously Merton hasn't hit 20th yet or Bryan would have noticed this.
                :)

                Barak
                Output Sheet Chimp
                LST Gibbon
              • merton_monk
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 29, 2002
                  Actually, Merton just hit 20th level last weekend. I just haven't
                  had time to update him yet. I've noticed this now, so it will get
                  fixed. :)

                  -Bryan

                  p.s. I wonder if being an 'outsider' will prove to be more of a
                  disadvantage???

                  --- In pcgen@y..., "Barak" <barak@v...> wrote:
> [...]
                • gsbingl
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 29, 2002
                    BONUS:DR|+1|10 should be the correct format, but without the DR:20/+1
                    tag on the monk, you won't see anything.

                    checking...

                    It seems that the + is getting stripped out of the DR when the bonus
                    is looked for.

                    This should work with the version you have:
                    Add DR:20/+1 to the monk's 20th level and then add BONUS:DR|1|10 to
                    your feat.
                    This has been fixed/changed in CVS and will be in the next autobuild.

                    Byngl

                  • Drew Bernat
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 29, 2002
                      On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, merton_monk wrote:

                      > -Bryan
                      >
                      > p.s. I wonder if being an 'outsider' will prove to be more of a
                      > disadvantage???

                      From my campaign:

                      "Is he an evil outsider?"

                      "Well, he was one of the loners in evil kindergarten..."

                      Drew

                      --
                      Drew Bernat __ ____
                      abernat@... | | |
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 30, 2002
                        Let's go by the Numbers: A BONUS only works if something has been DEFINEd,
                        albiet some things like CHECKS and BAB are hardcode-defined for a character.

                        BONUS:DR|+1|x will ONLY work if there is a DR:#/+1 You can use
                        BONUS:DR|string|# till you are blue, and it won't do anything unless it
                        matches up with a DR:<num>/string. The strings have to match exactly. And
                        that is how it is SUPPOSED to be. It's a BONUS, not a definition of Damage
                        Reduction.

                        It looks like the Monk is missing that, along with the Transform to
                        Outsider, which I may be able to do now. Going to look into that this
                        weekend. In the mean time, Monks should have DR:20/+1 tag for those of you
                        wanting to fix it at home.

                        The other Feat bit, with a BONUS:DR|+WIS|2*COUNT[FEATTYPE=Tattoo] is not the
                        way I think you want to go about it, unless there is a DR:num/+WIS, if the
                        WIS will even be substituted in a DR tag, which I doubt.

                        Chief LST Chimp
                        Strange Monkey
                        MM Race Dragon
                      • jeff.kelly@t-online.de
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 30, 2002
                          > Let's go by the Numbers: A BONUS only works if something has been DEFINEd,
                          > albiet some things like CHECKS and BAB are hardcode-defined for a
                          character.

                          > BONUS:DR|+1|x will ONLY work if there is a DR:#/+1 You can use
                          > BONUS:DR|string|# till you are blue, and it won't do anything unless it
                          > matches up with a DR:<num>/string. The strings have to match exactly.
                          And
                          > that is how it is SUPPOSED to be. It's a BONUS, not a definition of
                          Damage
                          > Reduction.

                          This obviously means that in the current setup Feats like the crab tattoo of
                          the tattooed monk class or some epic feats won't work correctly in pcgen
                          since they grant DR to classes which don't have the DR Tag. Should I file a
                          FREQ for this?

                          > The other Feat bit, with a BONUS:DR|+WIS|2*COUNT[FEATTYPE=Tattoo] is not
                          the
                          > way I think you want to go about it, unless there is a DR:num/+WIS, if the
                          > WIS will even be substituted in a DR tag, which I doubt.

                          See above. There are feats which calculate DR based on stats or the number
                          of tattoos worn or... It is no great deal but when you get WotCs ok to
                          integrate their source material into pcgen you will most probably have to
                          change this.

                          Regards

                          Christian
                        • merton_monk
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 30, 2002
                            --- In pcgen@y..., jeff.kelly@t... wrote:

                            > > Let's go by the Numbers: A BONUS only works if something has
                            been DEFINEd,
                            > > albiet some things like CHECKS and BAB are hardcode-defined for a
                            > character.
                            > >
                            > > BONUS:DR|+1|x will ONLY work if there is a DR:#/+1 You can use
                            > > BONUS:DR|string|# till you are blue, and it won't do anything
                            unless it
                            > > matches up with a DR:<num>/string. The strings have to match
                            exactly.
                            > And
                            > > that is how it is SUPPOSED to be. It's a BONUS, not a
                            definition of
                            > Damage
                            > > Reduction.
                            >
                            > This obviously means that in the current setup Feats like the crab
                            tattoo of
                            > the tattooed monk class or some epic feats won't work correctly in
                            pcgen
                            > since they grant DR to classes which don't have the DR Tag. Should
                            I file a
                            > FREQ for this?

                            The tatoo monk or Feat itself could have DR:+1|0 and BONUS:DR|+1|10
                            to guarantee that the +1 DR is increased by 10. If another feat or
                            class has DR:+1|10 the BONUS will bump the value to 20. You just
                            need to have a DR:+1|x *anywhere* on the character for the BONUS: to
                            kick in.

                            -Bryan
                          • Paul Grosse
                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 2, 2002
                              <snip>
                              It looks like the Monk is missing that, along with the Transform to
                              Outsider, which I may be able to do now. Going to look into that this
                              weekend. In the mean time, Monks should have DR:20/+1 tag for those
                              of you
                              wanting to fix it at home.

                              The other Feat bit, with a BONUS:DR|+WIS|2*COUNT[FEATTYPE=Tattoo] is
                              not the
                              way I think you want to go about it, unless there is a DR:num/+WIS, if
                              the
                              WIS will even be substituted in a DR tag, which I doubt.

                              Chief LST Chimp
                              Strange Monkey
                              MM Race Dragon
                              </snip>

                              Tir, also note that the type is "Native Outsider" as opposed to
                              "Outsider" which then clarifies that the being can be raised from the
                              dean on the Prime Material plane.

                              Paul Grosse
                              MSN Messenger: Nylanfs@...
                              ICQ: 14397299
                              AO: Nylan
                              Various forums: Nylan (or Nylanfs)

                              "The Earth is just too small and fragile a basket for the human race
                              to keep all it's eggs in." - Robert Heinlein

                              P.S. Sorry for replying to all these old messages, I'm going through
                              all the email over the long weekend
                            • Tir Gwaith
                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 2, 2002
                                > Tir, also note that the type is "Native Outsider" as opposed to
                                > "Outsider" which then clarifies that the being can be raised from the
                                > dean on the Prime Material plane.

                                Hm.. I think you are remembering a bit of FR - the SRD and the PHB mention
                                nothing about "Native"

                                And it says nothing about raising from the dead. Which pretty much leaves
                                that bit up to the DM (either it stays as the race originally, or no raising
                                whatsoever since the character is an outsider.)

                                Chief LST Chimp
                                Strange Monkey
                                MM Race Dragon
                              • gsbingl
                                Message 15 of 17 , Dec 2, 2002
                                  If we're talking about the Monk's outsider status from the Perfect
                                  Self class feature, it was errata'd with the following:

                                  "Unlike other outsiders, the monk can still be brought back from the
                                  dead."

                                  Byngl

                                  --- In pcgen@y..., "Tir Gwaith" <thoron-tir-gwaith@l...> wrote:
                                  > > Tir, also note that the type is "Native Outsider" as opposed to
                                  > > "Outsider" which then clarifies that the being can be raised from
                                  the
                                  > > dean on the Prime Material plane.
                                  >

                                  > Hm.. I think you are remembering a bit of FR - the SRD and the PHB
                                  mention
                                  > nothing about "Native"
                                  >
                                  > And it says nothing about raising from the dead. Which pretty much
                                  leaves
                                  > that bit up to the DM (either it stays as the race originally, or
                                  no raising
                                  > whatsoever since the character is an outsider.)
                                  >
                                  > Tir Gwaith
                                  > Soul Reaper Silverback and List File Silverback
                                  > Chief LST Chimp
                                  > Strange Monkey
                                  > MM Race Dragon
                                • Tir Gwaith
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Dec 2, 2002
                                    Still doesn't do anything to display in PCGen. I'll check the Template I'm
                                    applying tho.

                                    Chief LST Chimp
                                    Strange Monkey
                                    MM Race Dragon
                                    > If we're talking about the Monk's outsider status from the Perfect
                                    > Self class feature, it was errata'd with the following:
                                    >
                                    > "Unlike other outsiders, the monk can still be brought back from the
                                    > dead."
                                    >
                                    > Byngl
                                  • Keith Davies
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Dec 3, 2002
                                      On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 06:02:06PM -0600, Tir Gwaith wrote:
                                      > > Tir, also note that the type is "Native Outsider" as opposed to
                                      > > "Outsider" which then clarifies that the being can be raised from the
                                      > > dean on the Prime Material plane.
                                      >

                                      > Hm.. I think you are remembering a bit of FR - the SRD and the PHB mention
                                      > nothing about "Native"
                                      >
                                      > And it says nothing about raising from the dead. Which pretty much leaves
                                      > that bit up to the DM (either it stays as the race originally, or no raising
                                      > whatsoever since the character is an outsider.)

                                      Under the circumstances, and given that the character is a monk and has
                                      achieved 'perfection', I'd rule that on death he goes straight to
                                      Nirvana -- no raising possible. It's probably part of the reason they
                                      made him an Outsider. He is considered a 'native Outsider' because
                                      banishment sends him back to his home plane -- the Prime Material -- and
                                      thus doesn't really work.

                                      Keith
                                      --
                                      Keith Davies