What's your favorite purchase method for stat generation?

  • Bryan McRoberts
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 2000
      Do most people start out with all stats being one number (say 9) and you
      have
      a certain amount of points to 'spend'? Each stat above 9 costs a
      certain amount
      to buy, and each stat below 9 adds to your point pool to spend on other
      stats.
      Would people like me to have just one method of point purchase, or should I
      allow for some variation? I'm just curious as to everyone's ideas. Thanks!

      -Bryan
    • Arcady
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 31, 2000
        I'd say just use the method in the DMG.

        Start with base 8 and add points as per the cost scale they give on
        page 20.

        08 0
        09 1
        10 2
        11 3
        12 4
        13 5
        14 6
        15 8
        16 10
        17 13
        18 16

        But then let them enter how many points they get to spend somewhere,
        or have it track how many points they used.

        The DMG recommends the scale of 25 points for average games. 28 for
        tough ones, and 32 for high powered ones. I there was a 22 scale for
        weak games as well. And maybe one above 32. But here I think the best
        method would be to just record how many points they used.