help with feat please

  • Ken Shilling
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 4, 2002
      Hello,

      I was wondering if someone out there could give me some advice about how to
      code a particular feat for my campaign.

      The feat is supposed to let you pick four knowledge skills and add them as
      class skills.

      All I have been able to come up with so far is:

      CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMEDTOCSKILL|Knowledge %|

      Now this is what I want, but how do I get it to let you pick four skills
      instead of one? I have spent a bit of time trying various things, none of
      which worked of course... ;-)

      Any help would be appreciated.

      Hygric.
    • Patryk Adamski
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 4, 2002
        > Hello,
        >
        > I was wondering if someone out there could give me some
        > advice about how to
        > code a particular feat for my campaign.
        [..]
        > CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMEDTOCSKILL|Knowledge %|
        [..]
        > Any help would be appreciated.

        Add4Knowledges[tab]TYPE:General[tab]CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMEDTOCSKILL|Knowledge
        %|4

        Copy'n'paste. Replace [tab] with tab sign.
        Notice two changes:
        - there is no space between Knowledge and % symbol,
        - there is |4 after Knowledge%

        Regards,
        Ruemere
        --
        Patryk email >> ruemere@...
        Adamski www >> www.ruemere.linart.pl
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 5, 2002
          > > I was wondering if someone out there could give me some
          > > advice about how to
          > > code a particular feat for my campaign.
          > [..]
          > > CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMEDTOCSKILL|Knowledge %|
          > [..]
          > > Any help would be appreciated.
          >
          > Add4Knowledges[tab]TYPE:General[tab]CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMEDTOCSKILL|Knowledge
          > %|4
          >
          > Copy'n'paste. Replace [tab] with tab sign.
          > Notice two changes:
          > - there is no space between Knowledge and % symbol,
          > - there is |4 after Knowledge%

          Thanks for the help Ruemere, but it still don't quite work right. The code
          you suggested gives a choice of 2 knowledge skills, which is twice as good
          as it was, but only half way to 4.

          Here is the entire code for this feat that I have now, in case something
          else is stuffing it around:

          Well Learned TYPE:General PRESTAT:1,INT=11 PRELEVELMAX:1
          DESC:You have been taught many things, either in formal education or by oral
          tradition. CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMEDTOCSKILL|Knowledge%|4

          Thanks in advance,
          Hygric.
        • Patryk Adamski
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 5, 2002
            Houston, Houston, it seems we have a bug in a CHOOSE tag.

            File:
            Any *feats.lst

            Line:
            CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMEDTOCSKILL|Knowledge%|4

            Bug (or is it missing feature?):
            It seems that CHOOSE tag does not recognize number (4) after the pipe
            and likes to assign allowed number of Knowledges randomly (between 1 and
            5 on my computer, though 2 is most common). Also,
            CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMEDTOCSKILL|TYPE:Knowledge|4 does not seem to work.

            Could any Docs/Core Monkey comment on this?

            Reference material included below .sig.
            --

            ---------------------------------------- reference material
            > > > I was wondering if someone out there could give me some
            > > > advice about how to
            > > > code a particular feat for my campaign.
            > > [..]
            > > > CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMEDTOCSKILL|Knowledge %|
            > > [..]
            > > > Any help would be appreciated.
            > >

            > Add4Knowledges[tab]TYPE:General[tab]CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMEDTOCSKILL
            > |Knowledge
            > > %|4
            > >
            > > Copy'n'paste. Replace [tab] with tab sign.
            > > Notice two changes:
            > > - there is no space between Knowledge and % symbol,
            > > - there is |4 after Knowledge%
            >
            > Thanks for the help Ruemere, but it still don't quite work
            > right. The code
            > you suggested gives a choice of 2 knowledge skills, which is
            > twice as good
            > as it was, but only half way to 4.
            >
            > Here is the entire code for this feat that I have now, in
            > case something
            > else is stuffing it around:
            >
            > Well Learned TYPE:General PRESTAT:1,INT=11
            > PRELEVELMAX:1
            > DESC:You have been taught many things, either in formal
            > education or by oral
            > tradition. CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMEDTOCSKILL|Knowledge%|4
          • Felipe F. Diniz
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 5, 2002
              I allows you to choose one skill for each Feat Slot you have. Looks
              like SKILLSNAMEDTOCSKILL does not allow you to set the number of
              choices....

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 5, 2002
                No, it does:

                Patryk, try this:

                CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=4|SKILLSNAMEDTOCSKILL|TYPE.Knowledge

                It worked here...

              • gsbingl
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 5, 2002
                  Well Learned
                  TYPE:General
                  PRESTAT:1,INT=11
                  PRELEVELMAX:1
                  DESC:You have been taught many things, either in formal education or
                  by oral tradition.
                  CHOOSE:SKILLSNAMEDTOCSKILL|TYPE.Knowledge
                  MULT:Y
                  COST:0.25

                  You need the MULT for the CHOOSE to work properly. The |4 at the end
                  isn't doing anything as 4 is not a skill name. It's TYPE. not TYPE:.
                  The number of choices showing up is the number of feats the character
                  has remaining. Setting the COST to something other than 1 will give
                  you "free" feats when you remove feats (already existing bug ticket),
                  so you need to watch for that.

                  Byngl

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 5, 2002
                    Thanks a lot, Felipe and Byngl.
                    Hope it will get fixed soon.

                    I've test your solutions, separately and together, they both work ok :)

                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 5, 2002
                      Good to know it worked. But i don't think it is a bug, so i don't
                      think it is going to be fixed. It just is not the way you thought it
                      should be. Maybe you could consider it a new feature. If you really
                      would like to see that working in PCGen, you should submit it on
                      sourceforge (there is a feature tracker there..)

                      Felipe Diniz

                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 5, 2002
                        > From: "Felipe F. Diniz" <fdiniz@...>
                        > Subject: Re: CHOOSE bug, RE: help with feat please
                        >
                        > No, it does:
                        >
                        > Patryk, try this:
                        >
                        > CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=4|SKILLSNAMEDTOCSKILL|TYPE.Knowledge

                        That one works great! Thanks for the help all. You just made one of my
                        players very happy. :-)

                        Hygric.