New user w/ question

  • kkoelle
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2002
      Hello, I'm returning to D&D and picking up 3rd edition after being a
      1st edition vet. My friends and I are going to play an online game
      using OpenRPG, and are creating characters with PCGen. Anyway, enough
      fluff - on to the problem.

      When one of my players creates characters, he can use them just fine,
      but when he sends me the .pcg files, I am unable to open them. Here's
      the error I get:
      Error: 0.0
      Method: parseExperienceLine
      Line:EXPERIENCE:0:0

      Anyone able to help with what the solution to this might be? I was
      originally able to open his files, and I could open the files from my
      other player, but suddenly last weekend I started getting this error
      with player #1's characters.

      Thanks in advance for any help!

      Lord Karl
    • klinejon
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2002
        Assuming you've already checked the obvious (you are both running identical versions and he can still open his own character without the error), I'd take a look and make sure you are both loading the same sources, and then check the 'Preferences' settings to see if something (like enforce pre-reqs) is different. That's a stab in the dark, but should be easy enough to check. Also, are these first level characters, or has he filled out the current / next level XP entries on the 'Class' tab?

        You might also want to upload the character here -- if some of us get the same error, it might help track it down. And if none of us get it, then we'll know the problem is specific to your install.

        --- In pcgen@y..., "kkoelle" <kkoelle@k...> wrote:
        > Hello, I'm returning to D&D and picking up 3rd edition after being a
        > 1st edition vet. My friends and I are going to play an online game
        > using OpenRPG, and are creating characters with PCGen. Anyway, enough
        > fluff - on to the problem.
        >
        > When one of my players creates characters, he can use them just fine,
        > but when he sends me the .pcg files, I am unable to open them. Here's
        > the error I get:
        > Error: 0.0
        > Method: parseExperienceLine
        > Line:EXPERIENCE:0:0
        >
        > Anyone able to help with what the solution to this might be? I was
        > originally able to open his files, and I could open the files from my
        > other player, but suddenly last weekend I started getting this error
        > with player #1's characters.
        >
        > Thanks in advance for any help!
        >
        > Lord Karl
      • kkoelle
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 5, 2002
          Jon, I have checked things you mentioned - they are all identical and
          seemingly correct. Same version, he can open the file, same sources
          (already fixed that one), preferences the same...
          They are first level characters, yes.
          The file is uploaded, and is Fragnos.pcg.

          Any further assistance would be greatly appreciated.

          Karl

          --- In pcgen@y..., "klinejon" <jkline@a...> wrote:
          > Assuming you've already checked the obvious (you are both running
          identical versions and he can still open his own character without the
          error), I'd take a look and make sure you are both loading the same
          sources, and then check the 'Preferences' settings to see if something
          (like enforce pre-reqs) is different. That's a stab in the dark, but
          should be easy enough to check. Also, are these first level
          characters, or has he filled out the current / next level XP entries
          on the 'Class' tab?

          > You might also want to upload the character here -- if some of us
          get the same error, it might help track it down. And if none of us
          get it, then we'll know the problem is specific to your install.

          > --- In pcgen@y..., "kkoelle" <kkoelle@k...> wrote:
          > > Hello, I'm returning to D&D and picking up 3rd edition after being
          > > 1st edition vet. My friends and I are going to play an online
          game
          > > using OpenRPG, and are creating characters with PCGen. Anyway,
          enough
          > > fluff - on to the problem.
          > >
          > > When one of my players creates characters, he can use them just
          fine,
          > > but when he sends me the .pcg files, I am unable to open them.
          Here's
          > > the error I get:
          > > Error: 0.0
          > > Method: parseExperienceLine
          > > Line:EXPERIENCE:0:0
          > >
          > > Anyone able to help with what the solution to this might be? I
          was
          > > originally able to open his files, and I could open the files from
          my
          > > other player, but suddenly last weekend I started getting this
          error
          > > with player #1's characters.
          > >
          > > Thanks in advance for any help!
          > >
          > > Lord Karl
        • Felipe F. Diniz
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 6, 2002
            Karl,

            I've just downloaded your PCG file and it worked just fine for me. I
            am using the base 4.1.4. I noticed your player is using 4.1.3. Why
            don't you both upgrade to 4.1.4? If you upgrade, do a clean install,
            to get rid of some old install problems...

            Felipe Diniz

            --- In pcgen@y..., "kkoelle" <kkoelle@k...> wrote:
            > Jon, I have checked things you mentioned - they are all identical
            and
            > seemingly correct. Same version, he can open the file, same
            sources
            > (already fixed that one), preferences the same...
            > They are first level characters, yes.
            > The file is uploaded, and is Fragnos.pcg.
            >
            > Any further assistance would be greatly appreciated.
            >
            > Karl
          • klinejon
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 6, 2002
              Downloaded the .pcg file, and it opens fine for me (running a build from last week sometime...). The best I can suggest, since I can't reproduce the error, is to start with a clean install, loading only the sources you need, and see what happens. Most of the wierd stuff I run into anymore is related to custom sources.

              --- In pcgen@y..., "kkoelle" <kkoelle@k...> wrote:
              > Jon, I have checked things you mentioned - they are all identical and
              > seemingly correct. Same version, he can open the file, same sources
              > (already fixed that one), preferences the same...
              > They are first level characters, yes.
              > The file is uploaded, and is Fragnos.pcg.
              >
              > Any further assistance would be greatly appreciated.
              >
              > Karl
              *SNIP*