Skip to search.

Re: [pcgen] Re: [FREQ] Where did that number come from?!

  • Tir Gwaith
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 31, 2002
      > What a fascinating (terrifying?) notion. Why on G-d's green earth
      > would providing TOO DETAILED (whatever THAT means) a break down
      > violate anything???
      >
      > And PLEASE do not reply that answering that would violate anyting!
      >
      > TIA.

      If I tell you step by step HOW to create a character, from start to finish,
      THAT is too detailed according to d20stl and the d20 System Guide. For
      PCGen to do that (a walkthrough of sorts), PCGen would have to drop the d20
      License, something Bryan has decided we aren't going to do for the
      forseeable future. (Yes, Virginia, he can change his mind.) Now,
      ultimately Wizards determines when the terms of their licenses have been
      overstepped. If they view complete breakdown of skillpoints per level, and
      other such detail information as character creation or another violation of
      their license, then yes, it is too detailed.

      Chief LST Chimp
      Strange Monkey
      MM Race Dragon
    • merton_monk
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 31, 2002
        For most of the things calculated in PCGen you can get an exact
        listing. For BAB it would be adding |BONUS.COMBAT.BAB.LISTING| to an
        output sheet and then using that to export your character. For a
        skil it would be |BONUS.SKILL.<name-of-skill>.LISTING| (this won't
        include the ranks of the skill itself, just bonuses). For Initiative
        it would be |BONUS.COMBAT.INITIATIVE.LISTING|. You could even use
        |BONUS.VAR.TURN UNDEAD.LISTING| to get all the bonuses associated
        with the "TURN UNDEAD" variable defined for the classes that can turn
        undead. You can get a listing like this for anything involving a
        DEFINE: or a BONUS: tag in the data files - so look in the
        documentation if you want to see what all the possibilities are.

        There are no OGL or D20 restrictions with indicating what your
        bonuses are or giving a complete listing of them by category. People
        might get confused by the "interactivity" clause of the D20 license,
        but that's tied to random number generation, not a simple listing of
        values like this.

        -Bryan

        --- In pcgen@y..., "Patryk Adamski" <ruemere@p...> wrote:
        > > What a fascinating (terrifying?) notion. Why on G-d's green
        earth
        > > would providing TOO DETAILED (whatever THAT means) a break down
        > > violate anything???
        > >
        > > And PLEASE do not reply that answering that would violate anyting!
        > >
        > > TIA.
        >
        > Specifically, OGL license forbids usage of page numbers in source
        > listings, while chapter titles are allowed.
        > --
        > Patryk email >> ruemere@p...
        > Adamski www >> www.ruemere.linart.pl
        > " So he sat beside his sleeping wife, and he
        > listened to the ticking that was not in the
        > walls, " from Insomnia by Stephen King
      • Barak
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 31, 2002
          > skil it would be |BONUS.SKILL.<name-of-skill>.LISTING| (this won't

          Just tried this Bryan (4.1.3) and it's not working for skills... I haven't
          checked the others and I'm out of time at the moment, but I'll check them
          asap.

          Baral
          Output Sheet Chimp
          LST Gibbon
        • Brass Tilde
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 31, 2002
            > There are no OGL or D20 restrictions with indicating what your
            > bonuses are or giving a complete listing of them by category.
            > People might get confused by the "interactivity" clause of
            > the D20 license, but that's tied to random number generation,
            > not a simple listing of values like this.

            As I understand, the restriction is on listing what you *must* do for
            character generation, not what you *did* do.

            Brass
          • rogerhost
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 31, 2002
              Thanks for the speedy and informative reply, Bryan.

              This isn't quite what I had in mind, but would certainly work with a
              suitably formatted "debug" character sheet.

              Well, I've been putting it off, but perhaps it's time to delve into
              the wonderful world of formatting character sheets!

              Barak, is there something like this already in existance, or
              a "diagnostic" character sheet I could start from?

              -Roger

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 31, 2002
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 31, 2002
                  Just to add to thread. There is a FREQ or 2 in the Output sheets (which
                  Barak and his team are aware of that will deal with the full listing of how
                  an attack bonus is calculated etc). However an amount of coding work needs
                  to be done to complete this freq.

                  Karianna

                  TM