Re: Multiple Versions

  • Jason Pargeter
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 2, 2002
      The *idea* here if I am reading the mood correctly, is to NOT use
      material that hasn't been approved. We are all waiting patiently for
      the kinks to get worked out, and until that time, I for one am not
      using any non-SRD material within PCGen.

      my two cents.

      Jason
      --- In pcgen@y..., "Dave Echelberger" <cossack@s...> wrote:
      > I'm a relitive newbie at PCGen.
      > Can I run multiple versions in different directories without
      causing
      > a conflict?
      > I want to run v3.0 so I can use all the non-SRD, but have the
      ability
      > to use the latest so I can stay on top of the PCGen movement.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Dave
      > cossack@s...
    • Matthew Franco
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2002
        yes

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 2, 2002
          Did I say USE? I meant that I want to have an archival copy of
          previously released material and would never ever ever actualy RUN
          the software. Cross my heart and hope to die.

          Now, could anyone else level with me and tell me if I can run

          --- In pcgen@y..., "Jason Pargeter" <jpargeter@h...> wrote:
          > The *idea* here if I am reading the mood correctly, is to NOT use
          > material that hasn't been approved. We are all waiting patiently
          for
          > the kinks to get worked out, and until that time, I for one am not
          > using any non-SRD material within PCGen.
          >
          > my two cents.
          >
          > Jason
          > --- In pcgen@y..., "Dave Echelberger" <cossack@s...> wrote:
          > > I'm a relitive newbie at PCGen.
          > > Can I run multiple versions in different directories without
          > causing
          > > a conflict?
          > > I want to run v3.0 so I can use all the non-SRD, but have the
          > ability
          > > to use the latest so I can stay on top of the PCGen movement.
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Dave
          > > cossack@s...
        • Sussenberger, John
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 2, 2002
            Yeah, you can, I do it all the time.

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 2, 2002
              > From: Dave Echelberger [mailto:cossack@...]
              >
              > Now, could anyone else level with me and tell me if I can run
              > multiple versions in different directories without causing a
              conflict?

              You should be able to run multiple versions in different directories
              without conflict.

              If you do have a conflict, you should probably note it here, as this
              is common behavior.
            • Keith Davies
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 2, 2002
                On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 06:31:40PM +0000, Dave Echelberger wrote:
                > Did I say USE? I meant that I want to have an archival copy of
                > previously released material and would never ever ever actualy RUN
                > the software. Cross my heart and hope to die.
                >
                > Now, could anyone else level with me and tell me if I can run
                > multiple versions in different directories without causing a conflict?

                Shouldn't be a problem at all. Each gets its own copy of the sources
                and makes reference to directories based under the base directory, so
                there should be no chance of getting things confused. The only
                libraries and whatnot shared are those in the Java installation, so go
                for it.

                If you're at all concerned, back up the one you're not using at the
                moment -- copy it out of the way, zip the directory and delete it,
                whatever -- and you'll be perfectly, completely, and utterly safe from
                one version of the program monkeying with files from the other. The
                software doesn't use the Windows registry or anything and the
                configuration and preference information is stored in the same directory
                as pcgen.jar, so there's no chance of contamination that way.

                That's the long answer. The short answer is "yeah, it's safe". I do it
                all the time.

                Keith
                --
                Keith Davies
                keith.davies@...

                PCGen: <reaper/>, smartass
              • Martijn Verburg (DSLWN)
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 2, 2002
                  Hi all,

                  Karianna here (the thread groans ;p). OK, the user's Q was fine (although
                  we try to actively discourage usage of old versions, we're not going to get
                  draconian about it!!),

                  If he could just post back saying that the advice received has worked, we'll
                  consider this thread closed, otherwise I'm happy for people to post
                  technical replies 8-).

                  I don't want other people coming in and flaming him for it 8-)

                  Karianna

                  PCGEN Mod