Multiple Versions

  • Dave Echelberger
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 2, 2002
      I'm a relitive newbie at PCGen.
      Can I run multiple versions in different directories without causing
      a conflict?
      I want to run v3.0 so I can use all the non-SRD, but have the ability
      to use the latest so I can stay on top of the PCGen movement.

      Thanks,
      Dave
      cossack@...
    • Jason Pargeter
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2002
        The *idea* here if I am reading the mood correctly, is to NOT use
        material that hasn't been approved. We are all waiting patiently for
        the kinks to get worked out, and until that time, I for one am not
        using any non-SRD material within PCGen.

        my two cents.

        Jason
        --- In pcgen@y..., "Dave Echelberger" <cossack@s...> wrote:
        > I'm a relitive newbie at PCGen.
        > Can I run multiple versions in different directories without
        causing
        > a conflict?
        > I want to run v3.0 so I can use all the non-SRD, but have the
        ability
        > to use the latest so I can stay on top of the PCGen movement.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Dave
        > cossack@s...
      • Matthew Franco
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 2, 2002
          yes

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 2, 2002
            Did I say USE? I meant that I want to have an archival copy of
            previously released material and would never ever ever actualy RUN
            the software. Cross my heart and hope to die.

            Now, could anyone else level with me and tell me if I can run

            --- In pcgen@y..., "Jason Pargeter" <jpargeter@h...> wrote:
            > The *idea* here if I am reading the mood correctly, is to NOT use
            > material that hasn't been approved. We are all waiting patiently
            for
            > the kinks to get worked out, and until that time, I for one am not
            > using any non-SRD material within PCGen.
            >
            > my two cents.
            >
            > Jason
            > --- In pcgen@y..., "Dave Echelberger" <cossack@s...> wrote:
            > > I'm a relitive newbie at PCGen.
            > > Can I run multiple versions in different directories without
            > causing
            > > a conflict?
            > > I want to run v3.0 so I can use all the non-SRD, but have the
            > ability
            > > to use the latest so I can stay on top of the PCGen movement.
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > > Dave
            > > cossack@s...
          • Sussenberger, John
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 2, 2002
              Yeah, you can, I do it all the time.

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 2, 2002
                > From: Dave Echelberger [mailto:cossack@...]
                >
                > Now, could anyone else level with me and tell me if I can run
                > multiple versions in different directories without causing a
                conflict?

                You should be able to run multiple versions in different directories
                without conflict.

                If you do have a conflict, you should probably note it here, as this
                is common behavior.
              • Keith Davies
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 2, 2002
                  On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 06:31:40PM +0000, Dave Echelberger wrote:
                  > Did I say USE? I meant that I want to have an archival copy of
                  > previously released material and would never ever ever actualy RUN
                  > the software. Cross my heart and hope to die.
                  >
                  > Now, could anyone else level with me and tell me if I can run
                  > multiple versions in different directories without causing a conflict?

                  Shouldn't be a problem at all. Each gets its own copy of the sources
                  and makes reference to directories based under the base directory, so
                  there should be no chance of getting things confused. The only
                  libraries and whatnot shared are those in the Java installation, so go
                  for it.

                  If you're at all concerned, back up the one you're not using at the
                  moment -- copy it out of the way, zip the directory and delete it,
                  whatever -- and you'll be perfectly, completely, and utterly safe from
                  one version of the program monkeying with files from the other. The
                  software doesn't use the Windows registry or anything and the
                  configuration and preference information is stored in the same directory
                  as pcgen.jar, so there's no chance of contamination that way.

                  That's the long answer. The short answer is "yeah, it's safe". I do it
                  all the time.

                  Keith
                  --
                  Keith Davies
                  keith.davies@...

                  PCGen: <reaper/>, smartass
                • Martijn Verburg (DSLWN)
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 2, 2002
                    Hi all,

                    Karianna here (the thread groans ;p). OK, the user's Q was fine (although
                    we try to actively discourage usage of old versions, we're not going to get
                    draconian about it!!),

                    If he could just post back saying that the advice received has worked, we'll
                    consider this thread closed, otherwise I'm happy for people to post
                    technical replies 8-).

                    I don't want other people coming in and flaming him for it 8-)

                    Karianna

                    PCGEN Mod