Re: Install help needed

  • scott_c_nolan
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 1, 2002
      Well, there you have me. It seems to be a catch-22. I did this two
      ways, and neither worked. Let me elaborate:

      I am running Windows ME.

      Method One -

      1) I downloaded all three zip files into a folder called "PCGEN".
      2) I extracted all three zip files into folders with the names
      "PCGEN411_part1of3", "PCGEN411_part2of3" & "PCGEN411_part3of3".
      3) I went into "PCGEN411_part1of3", and clicked on PCGEN.jar.
      4) The program opened, but no list of sources.

      Method Two -

      1) I downloaded all three zip files into a folder called "PCGEN".
      2) I extracted all three zip files into folders with the names
      "PCGEN411_part1of3", "PCGEN411_part2of3" & "PCGEN411_part3of3".
      3) I moved the contents of all three folders into the main "PCGEN"
      folder. (In this method, I did have all the files and folders you
      mention in one folder.)
      4) I clicked on PCGen.jar, but got an error message, saying it could
      not find a file in the folder "PCGEN411_part3of3".

      So method two demonstrates that the program wants me to leave it
      spread across three folders, no?

      Now you know what I know.

      Can you offer any help?

      Thanks,

      Scott

      --- In pcgen@y..., "Stuart Updegrave" <stuart@m...> wrote:

      > You say you downloaded all three into the same directory. Did you
      > actually extract them as well? What OS? Into a clean directory?
      >
      > If you did extract, you need to ensure that you preserved directory
      > structure in the extraction. If you didn't, none of the data files
      > will be in their proper places.
      >
      > If you extracted correctly you should have the following files and
      > folders in your root folder (assuming v.4.1.1):
      >
      > /characters
      > /data
      > /docs
      > /lib
      > /system
      > /templates
      > filter.ini
      > options.ini
      > pcgen.bat
      > pcgen.jar
      > pcgen.sh
      >
      > If you still have problems, please send as detailed repro steps as
      > possible.

    • Ian Dale
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 1, 2002
        Unzip each ZIP into your "PCGEN" directory, and it should work....
        (Though moving should work as well, but maybe something got
        missed....)

      • Stuart Updegrave
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 1, 2002
          > From: scott_c_nolan [mailto:nolan@...]
          >

          > Method One -
          >
          > 1) I downloaded all three zip files into a folder called "PCGEN".
          > 2) I extracted all three zip files into folders with the names
          > [...]
          >
          > Method Two -
          >
          > 1) I downloaded all three zip files into a folder called "PCGEN".
          > 2) I extracted all three zip files into folders with the names
          > "PCGEN411_part1of3", "PCGEN411_part2of3" & "PCGEN411_part3of3".
          > > [...]

          You should override the default extraction path at time of unzip. I
          personally have a /download/ directory where I store all d/l'ed
          versions, then create version-specific folders for extraction. Thus,
          v4.1.1 is extracted to \pcgen\4.1.1\.

          This is what works for me. Not saying it will work for you. Howerver,
          I do encourage you to extract all into the same target folder to start
          with.

          Good luck, Scott.

          cheers,
          ~stuart
        • scott_c_nolan
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 1, 2002
            Okay. Don't know -why- that worked, but it did. Thank you.

            Scott

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 1, 2002
              --- In pcgen@y..., "scott_c_nolan" <nolan@e...> wrote:
              > Okay. Don't know -why- that worked, but it did. Thank you.
              >
              > Scott

              As long as it works, right? :) (I would have thought that your method
              #2 would have worked, but all I can figure is that either something
              got missed, or else somehow some path information got saved in the
              files when they got unzipped.)

              -Ian
            • James Dempsey
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 1, 2002
                The error was probably from the options.ini file which was created when the
                jar file from method #1 was started. It would still have references to the
                old location. If that was deleted, I reckon method #2 would have worked.

                James Dempsey
                JDempsey@...
                PCGEN Code Monkey