Re: [pcgen] Install help needed

  • James Dempsey
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 1, 2002
      Hi Scott,

      Which of the zip files did you download? Generally it is recommended that
      you get all 3 and extract them into the same directory. It sounds like you
      might have only downloaded the first one.

      James Dempsey
      JDempsey@...
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 1, 2002
        Nope. I downloaded all three into the same directory. That's how I
        was able to access the documents that clued me in to the fact that I
        was doing something wrong...

        Please help.

        Scott

        --- In pcgen@y..., "James Dempsey" <jdempsey@a...> wrote:
        > Hi Scott,
        >
        > Which of the zip files did you download? Generally it is recommended
        that
        > you get all 3 and extract them into the same directory. It sounds
        like you
        > might have only downloaded the first one.
        >

        > Cheers,
        > James Dempsey
        > JDempsey@a...

      • Stuart Updegrave
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 1, 2002
          You say you downloaded all three into the same directory. Did you
          actually extract them as well? What OS? Into a clean directory?

          If you did extract, you need to ensure that you preserved directory
          structure in the extraction. If you didn't, none of the data files
          will be in their proper places.

          If you extracted correctly you should have the following files and
          folders in your root folder (assuming v.4.1.1):

          /characters
          /data
          /docs
          /lib
          /system
          /templates
          filter.ini
          options.ini
          pcgen.bat
          pcgen.jar
          pcgen.sh

          If you still have problems, please send as detailed repro steps as
          possible.

        • scott_c_nolan
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 1, 2002
            Well, there you have me. It seems to be a catch-22. I did this two
            ways, and neither worked. Let me elaborate:

            I am running Windows ME.

            Method One -

            1) I downloaded all three zip files into a folder called "PCGEN".
            2) I extracted all three zip files into folders with the names
            "PCGEN411_part1of3", "PCGEN411_part2of3" & "PCGEN411_part3of3".
            3) I went into "PCGEN411_part1of3", and clicked on PCGEN.jar.
            4) The program opened, but no list of sources.

            Method Two -

            1) I downloaded all three zip files into a folder called "PCGEN".
            2) I extracted all three zip files into folders with the names
            "PCGEN411_part1of3", "PCGEN411_part2of3" & "PCGEN411_part3of3".
            3) I moved the contents of all three folders into the main "PCGEN"
            folder. (In this method, I did have all the files and folders you
            mention in one folder.)
            4) I clicked on PCGen.jar, but got an error message, saying it could
            not find a file in the folder "PCGEN411_part3of3".

            So method two demonstrates that the program wants me to leave it
            spread across three folders, no?

            Now you know what I know.

            Can you offer any help?

            Thanks,

            Scott

            --- In pcgen@y..., "Stuart Updegrave" <stuart@m...> wrote:

            > You say you downloaded all three into the same directory. Did you
            > actually extract them as well? What OS? Into a clean directory?
            >
            > If you did extract, you need to ensure that you preserved directory
            > structure in the extraction. If you didn't, none of the data files
            > will be in their proper places.
            >
            > If you extracted correctly you should have the following files and
            > folders in your root folder (assuming v.4.1.1):
            >
            > /characters
            > /data
            > /docs
            > /lib
            > /system
            > /templates
            > filter.ini
            > options.ini
            > pcgen.bat
            > pcgen.jar
            > pcgen.sh
            >
            > If you still have problems, please send as detailed repro steps as
            > possible.

          • Ian Dale
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 1, 2002
              Unzip each ZIP into your "PCGEN" directory, and it should work....
              (Though moving should work as well, but maybe something got
              missed....)

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 1, 2002
                > From: scott_c_nolan [mailto:nolan@...]
                >

                > Method One -
                >
                > 1) I downloaded all three zip files into a folder called "PCGEN".
                > 2) I extracted all three zip files into folders with the names
                > [...]
                >
                > Method Two -
                >
                > 1) I downloaded all three zip files into a folder called "PCGEN".
                > 2) I extracted all three zip files into folders with the names
                > "PCGEN411_part1of3", "PCGEN411_part2of3" & "PCGEN411_part3of3".
                > > [...]

                You should override the default extraction path at time of unzip. I
                personally have a /download/ directory where I store all d/l'ed
                versions, then create version-specific folders for extraction. Thus,
                v4.1.1 is extracted to \pcgen\4.1.1\.

                This is what works for me. Not saying it will work for you. Howerver,
                I do encourage you to extract all into the same target folder to start
                with.

                Good luck, Scott.

                cheers,
                ~stuart
              • scott_c_nolan
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 1, 2002
                  Okay. Don't know -why- that worked, but it did. Thank you.

                  Scott

                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 1, 2002
                    --- In pcgen@y..., "scott_c_nolan" <nolan@e...> wrote:
                    > Okay. Don't know -why- that worked, but it did. Thank you.
                    >
                    > Scott

                    As long as it works, right? :) (I would have thought that your method
                    #2 would have worked, but all I can figure is that either something
                    got missed, or else somehow some path information got saved in the
                    files when they got unzipped.)

                    -Ian
                  • James Dempsey
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 1, 2002
                      The error was probably from the options.ini file which was created when the
                      jar file from method #1 was started. It would still have references to the
                      old location. If that was deleted, I reckon method #2 would have worked.

                      James Dempsey
                      JDempsey@...
                      PCGEN Code Monkey