Install help needed

  • scott_c_nolan
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 1, 2002
      Hi. I've just downloaded PCGen and I'm afraid I'm already confused.
      I've updated my Java, as suggested, and opened the program. I don't
      see the tree of source companies the walkthrough mentions. I also
      note that I am supposed to "install" PCGEN, but don't see how to do that.

      Clearly, this is a failure to comprehend on my part, but could someone
      nontheless clue me in to what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.

      Scott
    • James Dempsey
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 1, 2002
        Hi Scott,

        Which of the zip files did you download? Generally it is recommended that
        you get all 3 and extract them into the same directory. It sounds like you
        might have only downloaded the first one.

        James Dempsey
        JDempsey@...
        > Hi. I've just downloaded PCGen and I'm afraid I'm already confused.
        > I've updated my Java, as suggested, and opened the program. I don't
        > see the tree of source companies the walkthrough mentions. I also
        > note that I am supposed to "install" PCGEN, but don't see how to do that.
        >
        > Clearly, this is a failure to comprehend on my part, but could someone
        > nontheless clue me in to what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.
        >
        > Scott
      • scott_c_nolan
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 1, 2002
          Nope. I downloaded all three into the same directory. That's how I
          was able to access the documents that clued me in to the fact that I
          was doing something wrong...

          Please help.

          Scott

          --- In pcgen@y..., "James Dempsey" <jdempsey@a...> wrote:
          > Hi Scott,
          >
          > Which of the zip files did you download? Generally it is recommended
          that
          > you get all 3 and extract them into the same directory. It sounds
          like you
          > might have only downloaded the first one.
          >

          > Cheers,
          > James Dempsey
          > JDempsey@a...

        • Stuart Updegrave
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 1, 2002
            You say you downloaded all three into the same directory. Did you
            actually extract them as well? What OS? Into a clean directory?

            If you did extract, you need to ensure that you preserved directory
            structure in the extraction. If you didn't, none of the data files
            will be in their proper places.

            If you extracted correctly you should have the following files and
            folders in your root folder (assuming v.4.1.1):

            /characters
            /data
            /docs
            /lib
            /system
            /templates
            filter.ini
            options.ini
            pcgen.bat
            pcgen.jar
            pcgen.sh

            If you still have problems, please send as detailed repro steps as
            possible.

          • scott_c_nolan
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 1, 2002
              Well, there you have me. It seems to be a catch-22. I did this two
              ways, and neither worked. Let me elaborate:

              I am running Windows ME.

              Method One -

              1) I downloaded all three zip files into a folder called "PCGEN".
              2) I extracted all three zip files into folders with the names
              "PCGEN411_part1of3", "PCGEN411_part2of3" & "PCGEN411_part3of3".
              3) I went into "PCGEN411_part1of3", and clicked on PCGEN.jar.
              4) The program opened, but no list of sources.

              Method Two -

              1) I downloaded all three zip files into a folder called "PCGEN".
              2) I extracted all three zip files into folders with the names
              "PCGEN411_part1of3", "PCGEN411_part2of3" & "PCGEN411_part3of3".
              3) I moved the contents of all three folders into the main "PCGEN"
              folder. (In this method, I did have all the files and folders you
              mention in one folder.)
              4) I clicked on PCGen.jar, but got an error message, saying it could
              not find a file in the folder "PCGEN411_part3of3".

              So method two demonstrates that the program wants me to leave it
              spread across three folders, no?

              Now you know what I know.

              Can you offer any help?

              Thanks,

              Scott

              --- In pcgen@y..., "Stuart Updegrave" <stuart@m...> wrote:

              > You say you downloaded all three into the same directory. Did you
              > actually extract them as well? What OS? Into a clean directory?
              >
              > If you did extract, you need to ensure that you preserved directory
              > structure in the extraction. If you didn't, none of the data files
              > will be in their proper places.
              >
              > If you extracted correctly you should have the following files and
              > folders in your root folder (assuming v.4.1.1):
              >
              > /characters
              > /data
              > /docs
              > /lib
              > /system
              > /templates
              > filter.ini
              > options.ini
              > pcgen.bat
              > pcgen.jar
              > pcgen.sh
              >
              > If you still have problems, please send as detailed repro steps as
              > possible.

            • Ian Dale
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 1, 2002
                Unzip each ZIP into your "PCGEN" directory, and it should work....
                (Though moving should work as well, but maybe something got
                missed....)

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 1, 2002
                  > From: scott_c_nolan [mailto:nolan@...]
                  >

                  > Method One -
                  >
                  > 1) I downloaded all three zip files into a folder called "PCGEN".
                  > 2) I extracted all three zip files into folders with the names
                  > [...]
                  >
                  > Method Two -
                  >
                  > 1) I downloaded all three zip files into a folder called "PCGEN".
                  > 2) I extracted all three zip files into folders with the names
                  > "PCGEN411_part1of3", "PCGEN411_part2of3" & "PCGEN411_part3of3".
                  > > [...]

                  You should override the default extraction path at time of unzip. I
                  personally have a /download/ directory where I store all d/l'ed
                  versions, then create version-specific folders for extraction. Thus,
                  v4.1.1 is extracted to \pcgen\4.1.1\.

                  This is what works for me. Not saying it will work for you. Howerver,
                  I do encourage you to extract all into the same target folder to start
                  with.

                  Good luck, Scott.

                  cheers,
                  ~stuart
                • scott_c_nolan
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 1, 2002
                    Okay. Don't know -why- that worked, but it did. Thank you.

                    Scott

                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 1, 2002
                      --- In pcgen@y..., "scott_c_nolan" <nolan@e...> wrote:
                      > Okay. Don't know -why- that worked, but it did. Thank you.
                      >
                      > Scott

                      As long as it works, right? :) (I would have thought that your method
                      #2 would have worked, but all I can figure is that either something
                      got missed, or else somehow some path information got saved in the
                      files when they got unzipped.)

                      -Ian
                    • James Dempsey
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 1, 2002
                        The error was probably from the options.ini file which was created when the
                        jar file from method #1 was started. It would still have references to the
                        old location. If that was deleted, I reckon method #2 would have worked.

                        James Dempsey
                        JDempsey@...
                        PCGEN Code Monkey