Re: About the conversion

  • mocha@mcs.net
    Message 1 of 9 , May 3, 2001
      --- In pcgen@y..., Kurt Wimmer <kwimmer@h...> wrote:

      > mocha@m... wrote:
      >
      > > see everything at once. Oh, and did I mention that all tables
      > > everywhere sort by clicking on the column header? ;)
      > >

      > What about using said tables for editing the information as well
      (from a
      > different set of tabs of course tho).

      In some cases you will be able to - like typing in how many ranks of
      a skill you want, or how many of an item you wish to purchase. Some
      fields are informational only (like the name of the class, the name
      of the feat, etc.). If you're looking for an app that can input new
      spells, equipment, etc. you'd need to look at PGEdit (Ernie's app),
      Excel or some other editor. One reason I chose ASCII formats for the
      lst files was so people could edit them using their favorite editor
      and I didn't have to support editing within my app. :)

      -Bryan

      > Kurt
    • Franco, Matthew E
      Message 2 of 9 , May 3, 2001
        Here is the message I am talking about

        From: mocha@m...
        Date: Thu Apr 5, 2001 1:30 pm
        Subject: Re: Is the source available?

        Interesting ideas. I do like the idea of having a PCGen API so
        people with too much time on their hands can put their own GUI's
        together. If I were to do that I would have to sit down and document
        my API, which is probably a good thing. Breaking my app into two
        segments - the GUI part and the non-GUI part means I could break it
        into two packages and if I, or someone else, come up with a better
        GUI, it can just be snapped into place. Thanks for your message, I'll
        definitely have to look into Python/Jython.

        -Bryan

        --- In pcgen@y..., Kurt Wimmer <kwimmer@h...> wrote:

        > First re: Python and Jython, I specifically mentioned TCL because
        Bryan

        Message 3 of 9 , May 3, 2001
          Is this in reference to the Skins?
          We're definitely breaking everything into 2 packages - core and gui
          with the idea being that anyone else could create their own gui and
          attach it to the core. It's a bit of a messy process because my code
          wasn't entirely clean in that manner since I hadn't really intended
          to put my app on the net when I first started writing it and I hadn't
          seriously considered going open source with it at that point
          either... so (adoping a Martha Stewart voice) separating them (core
          and gui as APIs) is a Good Thing. :)
          The core package is still in a state of flux, but at some point it
          should be in a place where others can use their favorite method to
          create a gui (as long as it can attach to a java package to use as
          the core classes - like Spell, Race, Feat, etc.)

          -Bryan

> [...]
          > > modified, so why not the .tcl files as well =) Then people can
          play
          > > with it and make their mods for PCGen from your GUI.
          > >
          > > Ahh yes, provide wrapped version so they don't need to DL tcl
          > seperatly,
          > > though that is a simple enough process, download the binary and
          > install
          > > it, done. Very small, few megs [2.5m/3m with
          itcl/itk/iwidgets].
          > > - this is mostly for those aside from Bryan who don't know about
          > > TCL/TK
          > > - of course, only need to DL and install tcl once
          > > - you can get TCL/TK etc for Mac/Win(X)/Linux/Unix(X) very
          easily,
          > > there are other ports around for various unix and win flavours
          > > ie: provide wrapped and non-wrapped versions...
          > >
          > > More questions on TCL? Email or post to comp.lang.tcl; everyone

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • House Gryphon
          Message 4 of 9 , May 3, 2001
            > together. If I were to do that I would have to sit down and document
            > my API, which is probably a good thing. Breaking my app into two

            I've already seem some JavaDoc comments in the code - if you make them
            comprehensive enough then generating API doco is as simple as pressing a
            button.

            - Sly