Bows and ammo equip.

  • pcswear00
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2002
      I just realized that the in the equipping screen you which i just
      started to use a while back that if you equip a magical bow and
      magical arrow it doesnt give you all the damage bonuses is there a
      way to adjust this in the program so that say you have a mighty
      composite long bow +1 equipped both hands and an arrow +1 equipped
      that it will show the bonuses, all of them str, bow, and arrow in the
      damage.
    • Timothy J. Lanza
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2002
        At 10:40 AM 9/1/2002, "pcswear00" <pcswear00@...> wrote:
        >I just realized that the in the equipping screen you which i just
        >started to use a while back that if you equip a magical bow and
        >magical arrow it doesnt give you all the damage bonuses is there a
        >way to adjust this in the program so that say you have a mighty
        >composite long bow +1 equipped both hands and an arrow +1 equipped
        >that it will show the bonuses, all of them str, bow, and arrow in the
        >damage.

        Because you could carry different combinations of bows and arrows for different purposes, and mix them up in a variety of combinations, the arrow bonus is a situational/circumstantial bonus. PCGen only handles set, hard modifications, not ones which can change on the fly.

        I originally thought it should work the way you mention, but after much talking, it is consistent with the way the rest of PCGen functions.

        --
        Timothy J. Lanza
      • Eric Beaudoin
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 1, 2002
          At 11:48 2002.09.01, Timothy J. Lanza wrote:
          >At 10:40 AM 9/1/2002, "pcswear00" <pcswear00@...> wrote:
          >>I just realized that the in the equipping screen you which i just
          >>started to use a while back that if you equip a magical bow and
          >>magical arrow it doesnt give you all the damage bonuses is there a
          >>way to adjust this in the program so that say you have a mighty
          >>composite long bow +1 equipped both hands and an arrow +1 equipped
          >>that it will show the bonuses, all of them str, bow, and arrow in the
          >>damage.
          >
          >Because you could carry different combinations of bows and arrows for different purposes, and mix them up in a variety of combinations, the arrow bonus is a situational/circumstantial bonus. PCGen only handles set, hard modifications, not ones which can change on the fly.
          >
          >I originally thought it should work the way you mention, but after much talking, it is consistent with the way the rest of PCGen functions.

          Still, if you really want your bow to caculate all including the +1 from your arrow, you can customise yourself a "circonstance bonus" bow. You just create a mighty bow and than add another +1 over it. Give it a name such as "Mighty Bow with +1 Arrow" and this should do want you want (you probably want to give you circonstance bow a weight of 0 though). You will still see the normal stats for your bow and will have the bow with +1 arrows on another line.

          Hope this helps

          Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin
          <mailto:beaudoer@...>
        • dinthron
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 1, 2002
            I was thinking of possibly making bows/crossbows, etc. a container to
            hold one ammo item.

            What do people think about that?

            However, when equipping the (cross)bow, the code would need to add the
            "contained" bonuses. I don't think its currently setup to do so.

            --- In pcgen@y..., Eric Beaudoin <beaudoer@v...> wrote:
            > At 11:48 2002.09.01, Timothy J. Lanza wrote:
            > >At 10:40 AM 9/1/2002, "pcswear00" <pcswear00@y...> wrote:
            > >>I just realized that the in the equipping screen you which i just
            > >>started to use a while back that if you equip a magical bow and
            > >>magical arrow it doesnt give you all the damage bonuses is there a
            > >>way to adjust this in the program so that say you have a mighty
            > >>composite long bow +1 equipped both hands and an arrow +1 equipped
            > >>that it will show the bonuses, all of them str, bow, and arrow in the
            > >>damage.
            > >
            > >Because you could carry different combinations of bows and arrows
            for different purposes, and mix them up in a variety of combinations,
            the arrow bonus is a situational/circumstantial bonus. PCGen only
            handles set, hard modifications, not ones which can change on the fly.

            > >I originally thought it should work the way you mention, but after
            much talking, it is consistent with the way the rest of PCGen functions.

            > Still, if you really want your bow to caculate all including the +1
            from your arrow, you can customise yourself a "circonstance bonus"
            bow. You just create a mighty bow and than add another +1 over it.
            Give it a name such as "Mighty Bow with +1 Arrow" and this should do
            want you want (you probably want to give you circonstance bow a weight
            of 0 though). You will still see the normal stats for your bow and
            will have the bow with +1 arrows on another line.

            > Hope this helps

            > Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin
            > >> In space, no one can hear you sleep...
            > >> Camels to can climb trees (and sometime eat them)
            > <mailto:beaudoer@v...>
          • gsbingl
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 1, 2002
              --- In pcgen@y..., "dinthron" <dinthron@y...> wrote:
              > I was thinking of possibly making bows/crossbows, etc. a container
              > hold one ammo item.
              >
              > What do people think about that?

              Why limit it to only one ammo item? Wouldn't you want it to show all
              available usable ammo?

              > However, when equipping the (cross)bow, the code would need to add
              the
              > "contained" bonuses. I don't think its currently setup to do so.

              It wouldn't be the equipping code so much as the export code, but
              it's not set up to do it either.

              Byngl