RE: [pcgen] Mac

  • Mynex
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 31, 2002
      PCGen works on Macs as it stands... if you have java 1.3 installed all
      you have to do is double click on the pcgen.jar to start it up. :)

      Mynex

      - #1 Evil Assistant to the PCGen Code Monkeys
      - List files & Documentation Silverback
      - RPG Reviews Editor & Reviewer

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2002
        e_kazee:

        On Saturday, Aug 31, 2002, at 22:22 US/Pacific, Mynex wrote:

        >> From: e_kazee [mailto:e_kazee@...]
        >>
        >> Where can I get a version of PCGen for the Mac? It would be of a
        >> great help and I can not find where to go. Thank you.
        >
        > PCGen works on Macs as it stands... if you have java 1.3 installed all
        > you have to do is double click on the pcgen.jar to start it up. :)
        >
        > Mynex

        Or the pcgen.sh - best if you have multiple users and you lock down the
        Applications Folder (you can never trust what some user will do to
        _YOUR_ system). Or you wish to use a different web browser for preview
        because IE doesn't work right!

        Thank you for the mutiuser support!

        ---
        Kent Behrends
        BEHR Consulting
        http://www.bci.com
      • zachslists
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 20, 2002
          --- In pcgen@y..., Kent Behrends <Kent@B...> wrote:
          > e_kazee:
          >
          > On Saturday, Aug 31, 2002, at 22:22 US/Pacific, Mynex wrote:
          > >
          > >> From: e_kazee [mailto:e_kazee@y...]
          > >>
          > >> Where can I get a version of PCGen for the Mac? It would be of a
          > >> great help and I can not find where to go. Thank you.
          > >
          > > PCGen works on Macs as it stands... if you have java 1.3 installed all
          > > you have to do is double click on the pcgen.jar to start it up. :)
          > >
          > > Mynex
          >
          > Or the pcgen.sh - best if you have multiple users and you lock down the
          > Applications Folder (you can never trust what some user will do to
          > _YOUR_ system). Or you wish to use a different web browser for preview
          > because IE doesn't work right!
          >
          > Thank you for the mutiuser support!

          Oh, and make sure you extract the .zip file with some program OTHER
          than Stuffit Expander. I know it's the standard (de)compression tool
          for Macs, but the lateste version *still* has a problem with
          rfilenames over 32 characters (which wasn't a problem when OS 9 was
          out, since it didn't support names longer than that). But some PCGen
          lst files have *very* long filenames, and Stuffit Expander truncates
          them, which will cause PCGen to malfunction. Try OpenUp instead:
          <http://download.com.com/3000-2254-8630745.html?tag=lst-0-1>.

          - Z a c h
        • Ian Dale
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 20, 2002
            --- In pcgen@y..., "zachslists" <zachslists@y...> wrote:
            > --- In pcgen@y..., Kent Behrends <Kent@B...> wrote:
            > > e_kazee:

            > > > PCGen works on Macs as it stands... if you have java 1.3
            installed all
            > > > you have to do is double click on the pcgen.jar to start it
            up. :)

            > > > Mynex
            > >
            > > Or the pcgen.sh - best if you have multiple users and you lock
            down the
            > > Applications Folder (you can never trust what some user will do
            > > _YOUR_ system). Or you wish to use a different web browser for
            preview
            > > because IE doesn't work right!
            > >
            > > Thank you for the mutiuser support!
            >
            > Oh, and make sure you extract the .zip file with some program OTHER
            > than Stuffit Expander. I know it's the standard (de)compression
            tool
            > for Macs, but the lateste version *still* has a problem with
            > rfilenames over 32 characters (which wasn't a problem when OS 9 was
            > out, since it didn't support names longer than that). But some
            PCGen
            > lst files have *very* long filenames, and Stuffit Expander truncates
            > them, which will cause PCGen to malfunction. Try OpenUp instead:
            > <http://download.com.com/3000-2254-8630745.html?tag=lst-0-1>.
            >

            > - Z a c h

            Or do what I do, and use the OS X disk image that's posted in the OS-
            specific directory
            (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pcgen/files/Alternate%20PCGen%
            20Releases/). Then you don't have to worry about anything. The
            filenames are preserved since it's an image, and the JAR has a
            wrapper so it seems like a normal application. :)

            -Ian