RE: [pcgen] Mac

  • Mynex
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 31 10:22 PM
      PCGen works on Macs as it stands... if you have java 1.3 installed all
      you have to do is double click on the pcgen.jar to start it up. :)

      Mynex

      - #1 Evil Assistant to the PCGen Code Monkeys
      - List files & Documentation Silverback
      - RPG Reviews Editor & Reviewer

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2002
        e_kazee:

        On Saturday, Aug 31, 2002, at 22:22 US/Pacific, Mynex wrote:

        >> From: e_kazee [mailto:e_kazee@...]
        >>
        >> Where can I get a version of PCGen for the Mac? It would be of a
        >> great help and I can not find where to go. Thank you.
        >
        > PCGen works on Macs as it stands... if you have java 1.3 installed all
        > you have to do is double click on the pcgen.jar to start it up. :)
        >
        > Mynex

        Or the pcgen.sh - best if you have multiple users and you lock down the
        Applications Folder (you can never trust what some user will do to
        _YOUR_ system). Or you wish to use a different web browser for preview
        because IE doesn't work right!

        Thank you for the mutiuser support!

        ---
        Kent Behrends
        BEHR Consulting
        http://www.bci.com
      • zachslists
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 20, 2002
          --- In pcgen@y..., Kent Behrends <Kent@B...> wrote:
          > e_kazee:
          >
          > On Saturday, Aug 31, 2002, at 22:22 US/Pacific, Mynex wrote:
          > >
          > >> From: e_kazee [mailto:e_kazee@y...]
          > >>
          > >> Where can I get a version of PCGen for the Mac? It would be of a
          > >> great help and I can not find where to go. Thank you.
          > >
          > > PCGen works on Macs as it stands... if you have java 1.3 installed all
          > > you have to do is double click on the pcgen.jar to start it up. :)
          > >
          > > Mynex
          >
          > Or the pcgen.sh - best if you have multiple users and you lock down the
          > Applications Folder (you can never trust what some user will do to
          > _YOUR_ system). Or you wish to use a different web browser for preview
          > because IE doesn't work right!
          >
          > Thank you for the mutiuser support!

          Oh, and make sure you extract the .zip file with some program OTHER
          than Stuffit Expander. I know it's the standard (de)compression tool
          for Macs, but the lateste version *still* has a problem with
          rfilenames over 32 characters (which wasn't a problem when OS 9 was
          out, since it didn't support names longer than that). But some PCGen
          lst files have *very* long filenames, and Stuffit Expander truncates
          them, which will cause PCGen to malfunction. Try OpenUp instead:
          <http://download.com.com/3000-2254-8630745.html?tag=lst-0-1>.

          - Z a c h
        • Ian Dale
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 20, 2002
            --- In pcgen@y..., "zachslists" <zachslists@y...> wrote:
            > --- In pcgen@y..., Kent Behrends <Kent@B...> wrote:
            > > e_kazee:

            > > > PCGen works on Macs as it stands... if you have java 1.3
            installed all
            > > > you have to do is double click on the pcgen.jar to start it
            up. :)

            > > > Mynex
            > >
            > > Or the pcgen.sh - best if you have multiple users and you lock
            down the
            > > Applications Folder (you can never trust what some user will do
            > > _YOUR_ system). Or you wish to use a different web browser for
            preview
            > > because IE doesn't work right!
            > >
            > > Thank you for the mutiuser support!
            >
            > Oh, and make sure you extract the .zip file with some program OTHER
            > than Stuffit Expander. I know it's the standard (de)compression
            tool
            > for Macs, but the lateste version *still* has a problem with
            > rfilenames over 32 characters (which wasn't a problem when OS 9 was
            > out, since it didn't support names longer than that). But some
            PCGen
            > lst files have *very* long filenames, and Stuffit Expander truncates
            > them, which will cause PCGen to malfunction. Try OpenUp instead:
            > <http://download.com.com/3000-2254-8630745.html?tag=lst-0-1>.
            >

            > - Z a c h

            Or do what I do, and use the OS X disk image that's posted in the OS-
            specific directory
            (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pcgen/files/Alternate%20PCGen%
            20Releases/). Then you don't have to worry about anything. The
            filenames are preserved since it's an image, and the JAR has a
            wrapper so it seems like a normal application. :)

            -Ian