Re: [pcgen] Problem with loading existing chars into 3.1.0

  • Eric Beaudoin
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2002
      At 17:17 2002.08.31, cabryant3 wrote:
      >Trying to load existing char files into 3.1.0 version results in the
      >following error: "Error: Insufficient campaign information to load
      >character file Method: checkCampaignLine Line: CAMPAIGNS...."
      >the line is far too long to retype here. I tried to select setting
      >to load campaings with char and without loading. Same error. I've
      >trimmed down loaded source files to eliminate a couple that I didn't
      >need and because many files are no longer provided in the release.
      >
      >Anything I can do or do I need to recreate these char files yet
      >again? About the third time I will need to re-enter the ten char
      >files for my world.

      Here's a few thing you can try :

      1- Backup your old .pcg file

      2- Edit your .pcg with a text editor (notepad on windows, emacs on unix, etc.)

      3- The first line of the .pcg had a CAMPAIGNS: tag followed but the list of source files normally used for your PC. Delete everything after the ":" so that the line will only be CAMPAIGNS: with nothing that follow.

      4- Start PCGEN and load the source files you want/think you need.

      5- Open your PC.

      Now, you will probably see a lot of complains about skill/weapon prof./equipment/spell that are no longer available. You need to note the ones that were really used with your PC. All these complains have to do with missing sources so you may need to add more sources to get all of your PC back (you can use the lstconverter to convert old file to the new format but don't use the one with v3.1.0, it has a major bug).

      Even if you do not find all the sources, you should have a PC that can be opened and printed. We're sorry about the missing/changed sources but you must have already heard of the d20/OGL compliance stuff. If not, see <http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/future.php> and previous post for more info.

      Best

      √Čric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin
      <mailto:beaudoer@...>