Source Materials

  • chillysalinsbane
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 22, 2002
      I posted this on Sourceforge forums too, but I think I'll get an
      answer here a little quicker. In versions before 3.0.0 there were
      tons and tons of source materials, and in 3.0.0 there's barely
      any, where'd they go? how can I get my hands on them?
    • Sussenberger, John
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 22, 2002
        The production release 3.0.0 has only the source files that worked well.
        Also WOTC asked us to remove their non SRD material (see
        www.opengamingfoundation.org for material in the SRD) and become OGL
        compliant before they will consider giving us permission to put their
        non-SRD material in.

        It is the publishers right to ask us to remove any of their material.

        Thanks,

        John Sussenberger

        I posted this on Sourceforge forums too, but I think I'll get an
        answer here a little quicker. In versions before 3.0.0 there were
        tons and tons of source materials, and in 3.0.0 there's barely
        any, where'd they go? how can I get my hands on them?
        <snip>
      • jsigmon_2000
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 25, 2003
          I just downloaded PCGen earlier this week, so I am very new to this.
          I was wonderig if some one could tell me how I get List files for
          3rd Edition?
        • ethan_stoddart
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 25, 2003
            They're included with the program. Listed Under Wizards of the Coast,
            either add the PHB, DMG and MM _or_ the SRD and you have 3rd hit load
            and away you go with 3rd ed.

            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "jsigmon_2000" <jeremysigmon@c...>
            wrote:
            > I just downloaded PCGen earlier this week, so I am very new to
            this.
            > I was wonderig if some one could tell me how I get List files for
            > 3rd Edition?
          • Joe Medica
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 27, 2003
              Being a newbie as well, I have a question about this:

              I loaded these files, but the Deities information from teh PHB seems to be
              missing. Is there a file out there for this?

              Thanks,

              Joe

              --- ethan_stoddart <keig0009@...> wrote:
              > They're included with the program. Listed Under Wizards of the Coast,
              > either add the PHB, DMG and MM _or_ the SRD and you have 3rd hit load
              > and away you go with 3rd ed.
              >
              > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "jsigmon_2000" <jeremysigmon@c...>
              > wrote:
              > > I just downloaded PCGen earlier this week, so I am very new to
              > this.
              > > I was wonderig if some one could tell me how I get List files for
              > > 3rd Edition?

              http://sbc.yahoo.com
            • Jonathan M. Thompson
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 27, 2003
                Deities from the PHB are not open content and therefore not included.
                You can always add them yourself if you want them in the program.

                Jonathan M. Thompson
                President, Battlefield Press, Inc.(http://www.battlefieldpress.com)
                jthompson@... / AIM - GreyLnsman
                Luftwaffe 1946 Role Playing Game - Available August 2003

                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 27, 2003
                  OK, I guess I thgought they would be. My mistake. Is there an easy rule
                  for what is and is not part of the OGC?

                  Thanks,

                  Joe
                  --- "Jonathan M. Thompson" <jthompson@...> wrote:
                  > Deities from the PHB are not open content and therefore not included.
                  > You can always add them yourself if you want them in the program.
                  >
                  > Jonathan M. Thompson
                  > President, Battlefield Press, Inc.(http://www.battlefieldpress.com)
                  > jthompson@... / AIM - GreyLnsman
                  > Luftwaffe 1946 Role Playing Game - Available August 2003

                  http://sbc.yahoo.com
                • Paul M. Lambert
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 27, 2003
                    On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, Joe Medica wrote:

                    > OK, I guess I thgought they would be. My mistake. Is there an easy rule
                    > for what is and is not part of the OGC?
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    >
                    > Joe

                    A rule? No. However, anything with a name that is capitalized is
                    typically not OGC.

                    The easiest way to tell is to try to separate the PHB/DMG/MM in your
                    head from the SRD. That's how I do it. The SRD (System Reference
                    Document) is a collection of the open gaming content released by Wizards
                    of the Coast. For all intents and purposes, one can treat the
                    PHB/DMG/MM as being _based_ on the SRD. If that works better in your
                    head, go for it, it sure helps me! ;-)

                    Anyway, if you go get the SRD and look through it, you'll see all the
                    differences. Nothing included with PCGen is based on the PHB/DMG/MM
                    books; it's all from the SRD. The additional stuff will be available
                    for a small fee from Code Monkey Publishing in a few weeks, hopefully.

                    Hope that helps!

                    --Paul M. Lambert
                  • Paul Grosse
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 30, 2003
                      <snip>
                      OK, I guess I thought they would be. My mistake. Is there an easy
                      rule
                      for what is and is not part of the OGC?

                      Thanks,

                      Joe
                      </snip>

                      Hehehehehe easy and OGC in same sentence.

                      Paul "Yes that Paul" Grosse
                      PCGen OGL Gibbon
                      ICQ: 14397299
                      AO: Nylan
                      Various forums: Nylan (or Nylanfs)

                      "The Earth is just too small and fragile a basket for the human race
                      to keep all it's eggs in." - Robert Heinlein
                    • Emily Smirle
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 30, 2003
                        > OK, I guess I thought they would be. My mistake. Is there an easy
                        > rule for what is and is not part of the OGC?
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        >
                        > Joe

                        Yes: if it's in the System Reference Document at
                        www.opengamingfoundation.org, it's Open Game Content.

                        If it's not, it ain't.

                        Voilla!
                        --
                        Emily Smirle (jerril) Beware, for my Axe
                        GMGen Princess will cut you off at the knees.
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 30, 2003
                          On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Emily Smirle wrote:

                          > > OK, I guess I thought they would be. My mistake. Is there an easy
                          > > rule for what is and is not part of the OGC?
                          >
                          > Yes: if it's in the System Reference Document at
                          > www.opengamingfoundation.org, it's Open Game Content.
                          >
                          > If it's not, it ain't.
                          >
                          > Voilla!

                          Does this mean that PC Gen won't support Level Adjustment?

                          -- Rob Bowell
                        • Martijn Verburg (DSLWN)
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 30, 2003
                            Once it fully enters the SRD yes.

                            TM SB

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 1, 2003
                              On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Martijn Verburg (DSLWN) wrote:

                              > Once it fully enters the SRD yes.

                              Is Level Adjustment expected to be put in the SRD?

                              When will support for it be removed from the program?

                              -- Rob Bowell
                            • Tir Gwaith
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 1, 2003
                                Level Adjustment is OGC. Wizards can't really close it, except for the
                                description of what it means. There are Level Adjustments given on the 2
                                OGC monsters Wizards released at the back of the MM2.

                                We won't be doing any Level Adjustments for Wizard's monsters until such
                                time as they put that information into the SRD. Quite likely with the RSRD
                                or SRD3.5 or whatever they end up calling it.

                                Tir Gwaith
                                PCGen Data SB and BoD
                              • merton_monk
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 1, 2003
                                  --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Rob Bowell <bowell@r...> wrote:
                                  > On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Martijn Verburg (DSLWN) wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > Once it fully enters the SRD yes.
                                  >
                                  > Is Level Adjustment expected to be put in the SRD?
                                  >
                                  > When will support for it be removed from the program?

                                  I'm entering this debate kind of late.... I'm guessing from
                                  Karianna's statements that Level Adjustment is not in the SRD. I'm
                                  fairly certain that, if this is the case, that CMP has permission for
                                  it. So that means we have some wiggle room, but we still need to
                                  take a look at this issue at a Board of Director's meeting to decide
                                  how to handle it going forward.

                                  -Bryan

                                  > -- Rob Bowell
                                • merton_monk
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 1, 2003
                                    Oh - never mind my last post then. Thanks for the explanation,
                                    Tir! :)

                                    -Bryan

                                    --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Tir Gwaith" <thoron-tir-gwaith@l...>
                                    wrote:
                                    > Level Adjustment is OGC. Wizards can't really close it, except for
                                    the
                                    > description of what it means. There are Level Adjustments given on
                                    the 2
                                    > OGC monsters Wizards released at the back of the MM2.
                                    >
                                    > We won't be doing any Level Adjustments for Wizard's monsters until
                                    such
                                    > time as they put that information into the SRD. Quite likely with
                                    the RSRD
                                    > or SRD3.5 or whatever they end up calling it.
                                    >
                                    > Tir Gwaith
                                    > PCGen Data SB and BoD
                                  • Smith, Andrew
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jul 1, 2003
                                      Just in case anyone was wondering, Level Adjustments and some basic info on playing monsters as characters will be in the new SRD. While it's never been closed, it hasn't really been supported with OGC either. Now you can all get back to making your lizardfolk monks.

                                      Andy Smith
                                      Publishing/Licensing
                                      Wizards of the Coast, Inc.

                                      wrote:
                                      > Level Adjustment is OGC. Wizards can't really close it, except for
                                      the
                                      > description of what it means. There are Level Adjustments given on
                                      the 2
                                      > OGC monsters Wizards released at the back of the MM2.
                                      >
                                      > We won't be doing any Level Adjustments for Wizard's monsters until
                                      such
                                      > time as they put that information into the SRD. Quite likely with
                                      the RSRD
                                      > or SRD3.5 or whatever they end up calling it.
                                      >
                                      > Tir Gwaith
                                      > PCGen Data SB and BoD

                                    • John Sussenberger
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jul 1, 2003
                                        Just to throw myself into the fray (so to speak), there are a lot of publishers that are using the Level Adjustment mechanic and calling it something else. Check out B@stards and Bloodlines by Green Ronin (I think) as an example.

                                        So there is a precendent on this already.

                                        merton_monk <merton_monk@...> wrote:
                                        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Rob Bowell <bowell@r...> wrote:
                                        > On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Martijn Verburg (DSLWN) wrote:
                                        >
                                        > > Once it fully enters the SRD yes.
                                        >
                                        > Is Level Adjustment expected to be put in the SRD?
                                        >
                                        > When will support for it be removed from the program?

                                        I'm entering this debate kind of late.... I'm guessing from
                                        Karianna's statements that Level Adjustment is not in the SRD. I'm
                                        fairly certain that, if this is the case, that CMP has permission for
                                        it. So that means we have some wiggle room, but we still need to
                                        take a look at this issue at a Board of Director's meeting to decide
                                        how to handle it going forward.

                                        -Bryan

                                        > -- Rob Bowell

                                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor