I'm new and computer illiterate.

  • Jimmbish
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31, 2002
      I'm new to the pcgen and I am computer illiterate. I need to know how
      to load the pcc file that i made. And i made need halp beyond that
      too. So any help from anyone would be very helpful.
    • aspxpert
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 31, 2002
        well, in the spirit of providing helpful help... ;-)

        your PCC file goes anywhere under the data directory that is under
        the directory you installed pcgen into. i chose to make a unique
        folder for my campaign files.

        you can read about the layout for PCC (and the different types of
        LST) files in the online help. and, of course, there are a bevy of
        sample (well, actual) PCC and LST files from which to choose.

        anyhow, once you drop the PCC file into the directory, you'll
        probably need to exit and restart PCGEN to get it noticed. then
        you'll have to dig down through the tree-view of source files to
        select and load it. its location in the tree is completely dependent
        on what you put into the PCC file in the first place.

        hope that helps...

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 31, 2002
          What happens if u put everything into ur pcc???

          --- In pcgen@y..., "aspxpert" <aspxpert@y...> wrote:
          > well, in the spirit of providing helpful help... ;-)
          >
          > your PCC file goes anywhere under the data directory that is under
          > the directory you installed pcgen into. i chose to make a unique
          > folder for my campaign files.
          >
          > you can read about the layout for PCC (and the different types of
          > LST) files in the online help. and, of course, there are a bevy of
          > sample (well, actual) PCC and LST files from which to choose.
          >
          > anyhow, once you drop the PCC file into the directory, you'll
          > probably need to exit and restart PCGEN to get it noticed. then
          > you'll have to dig down through the tree-view of source files to
          > select and load it. its location in the tree is completely
          dependent
          > on what you put into the PCC file in the first place.
          >
          > hope that helps...
          >

          > --- In pcgen@y..., "Jimmbish" <jimmbish@y...> wrote:
          > > I'm new to the pcgen and I am computer illiterate. I need to know
          > how
          > > to load the pcc file that i made. And i made need halp beyond
          that
          > > too. So any help from anyone would be very helpful.
        • merton_monk
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 31, 2002
            --- In pcgen@y..., "Jimmbish" <jimmbish@y...> wrote:
            > What happens if u put everything into ur pcc???

            You need to have certain lines in your pcc file in addition to having
            it in a subdirectory of data. e.g.
            GAME:DnD
            this means that your source will show up in the list of sources if
            you're in DnD Mode (which you probably are as everyone defaults to
            that mode)
            CAMPAIGN:some text
            This "some text" is description of the campaign that will show up in
            the source tab.
            TYPE:something.else
            This defines what categories your source will show up in.
            RANK:10
            The rank determines the order (1 goes first, 2 goes second, etc.)

            Then you'll have tags like
            CLASS:myclass.lst
            where myclass.lst is a file containing info on all the classes and is
            in the same directory as your pcc file. CLASS: tells PCGen to load
            that file and use the class parser. Same for the other tags like
            FEAT: SPELL: SKILL: etc.

            -Bryan