Re: Extra lnf's broken

  • backlash_de
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 31, 2002
      --- In pcgen@y..., "pjak" <pjak@y...> wrote:
      > Oh yes. And Kunststoff is just as gorgeous as I remembered it.
      >
      > /Jonas

      Yeah, Kunststoff is great - I used it from the moment I first saw it.

      I've actually considered to ask if we could use this LaF as default
      and ship with pcgen since it's a really small jar. Well, I did not
      ask, because small personal preferences like that have a tendency of
      creating bigger waves than one would like ...

      ... and with the majority of PCGen users being Java Cracks there's no
      need to simplify the use of this wonderful LaF ... ;-)

      Kinson
    • Emily Smirle
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 31, 2002
        What with everyone blathering on about Kunststoff, I find myself curious:

        What is Kunststoff? Is it a skin set, or a programming plugin to allow
        skinning?

        Is it freeware/open source?

        If so, where do we actually *download* it? The Kunststoff website was
        remarcably uninformative...

        --
        "Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total
        oblivion. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 31, 2002
          Well the 'How do I install Java' part is in there... but it's only a
          quick summary... the others, well if people need to know those, here's
          the tech support I give them;

          Cast:
          ME as Super Tech!
          Lucy USER as L-USER
          GEROGE as disgruntled husband

          ME: Yes Ma'am. I see. Well, let me ask you this, do you still have the
          boxes the computer came in?
          L-USER:Yes I think so. *background yelling* George do we still have the
          boxes the computer came in?
          GEORGE:Yes SHUT up I'm, watching Football woman
          L-USER:Yes we do. Should I get them?
          ME:Yes Ma'am Please do.
          L-USER:Okay, just a minute.
          *waiting patiently to the sounds of football in the background and the
          occasional cheer or hiss. Minutes pass as Super Tech reads the Sunday
          comics*
          L-USER:Okay, I have them! *sound of triumph in L-USER's voice*
          ME:Good. Now here's the easy part for you. I want you to put the
          computer back in the box EXACTLY as you found it and return it to the
          store. You're defective and shouldn't use a computer.
          *pause of silence while L-USER digests the information*
          L-USER:Right, so the computer is broken, okay, we'll take it back to the
          store we got it from. Thank you!
          ME:*sighs heavily* Yes Ma'am, you do that. Have a day.
          L-USER:Oh thank you, you have a nice day too!
          ME*Mutters - I didn't say nice*

          This actually happened to me... after an HOUR of troubleshooting the
          problem, (They didn't follow the SIMPLE COLOR CODED PICTURE directions
          given) they didn't hook up the mouse, and after spending 20 minutes
          getting that hooked up, the remaining time was spent getting the rest
          hooked up. Once it was all hooked up, she hit the button and, surprise,
          oh surprise, it didn't come on. It wasn't plugged into the wall. The
          power cable I kept describing as "The Really thick black cord, looks
          very similar to a refrigerator plug? That's the power cord. Make sure
          it's plugged in before you try to turn the computer on"

          About this time I decided they were too stupid to have a computer.
          Everyone around me agreed (well I was shift supervisor, and they were
          all sheep, so they would have agreed if I said the moon was made of
          marshmallow), the night Call center Manager was laughing so hard she
          almost pee'd herself and didn't say one word when I told her to take the
          computer back because SHE was defective... the night call center manager
          had to run our of the room she was laughing hysterically.. I think she
          bolted for the bathroom at that one...

          And this was all for 1.99$ a minute... sigh.

          Mynex

          - #1 Evil Assistant to the PCGen Code Monkeys
          - List files & Documentation Silverback
          - RPG Reviews Editor & Reviewer

          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 31, 2002
            --- In pcgen@y..., Emily Smirle <smirle4498@r...> wrote:
            > What is Kunststoff? Is it a skin set, or a programming plugin to
            allow
            > skinning?

            Neither. It's a pluggable java look and feel.
            http://java.sun.com/products/jfc/jaccess-1.2.2/doc/pluggable.html

            > Is it freeware/open source?

            Yep, it's LGPL.
            http://www.incors.org/licence.php3

            > If so, where do we actually *download* it? The Kunststoff website
            was
            > remarcably uninformative...

            Try this:
            http://www.incors.org/kunststoff-2_0_1.zip

            Install it by extracting kunststoff.jar into your jre/lib/ext
            directory and putting Kinson's swing.properties into your jre/lib
            directory.

            /Jonas
          • mark_hulsman
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 31, 2002
              > Well the 'How do I install Java' part is in there... but it's only a
              > quick summary... the others, well if people need to know those,
              here's
              > the tech support I give them;
              >
              > Cast:
              > ME as Super Tech!
              > Lucy USER as L-USER
              > GEROGE as disgruntled husband

              Wow, thats the worst call I've ever heard about :) I did have one
              involving my friends compuer that had the tech support guys laughing
              that hard though. He brought his computer back after christmas break
              and it wouldn't work. He turned it on and the little DOS cursor
              flashed in the upper left corner of the screen and that was all it
              did. So he figured it got bounced around and something came loose
              while he was driving. So he called tech support and they had him
              unplug every thing from the mother board one piece at a time. He
              started with his modem and video cards then hard drives and even his
              RAM until he had unplugged everything except his keyboard and
              processor. It still did nothing when he tried to boot up, except
              while his RAM was not in it beaped and then did nothing. So they ahd
              him replug everything in one piece at a time testing each time to see
              if it would work, and it still didn't. Then all of a sudden my
              friend got an idea, he switched his keyboard back to the original
              half broken one that he was using before. It booted up perfectly.
              For some reason the keyboard he got from someone wouldn't allow his
              computer to boot, it was a Chinese made keyboard, but it had and
              identical layout to any other American keyboard. That keyboard also
              worked perfectly in every single computer we tried it in too, except
              for his :)
            • backlash_de
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 31, 2002
                --- In pcgen@y..., Emily Smirle <smirle4498@r...> wrote:
                > The Kunststoff website was remarcably uninformative...

                LOL

                You know, I just love the way you express yourself ...

                Kinson
              • Emily Smirle
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 31, 2002
                  backlash_de wrote:

                  > --- In pcgen@y..., Emily Smirle <smirle4498@r...> wrote:
                  >
                  >>The Kunststoff website was remarcably uninformative...
                  >>

                  > LOL
                  >
                  > You know, I just love the way you express yourself ...

                  :) My family has a long tradition of the dramatic understatement. Also
                  deadpan humour.

                  Besides, it seemed more polite than what I was thinking about their
                  webdev team... <censored>
                  --
                  "Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total
                  oblivion. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and
                  through me. And when it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to
                  see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing.
                  Only I will remain." - www.goats.com
                • cyberfunkr
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 31, 2002
                    --- In pcgen@y..., Mynex <mynex3@c...> wrote:
                    <snip>
                    > Well the 'How do I install Java' part is in there... but it's only a
                    > quick summary... the others, well if people need to know those,
                    here's
                    > the tech support I give them;
                    >
                    > Cast:
                    > ME as Super Tech!
                    > Lucy USER as L-USER
                    > GEORGE as disgruntled husband
                    </snip>

                    Gawd I remember those days well. Except our boss, tightwad that he
                    was, didn't realize you could charge for phone tech support.

                    I still have a few 'mementos' from those years.
                    -> A perfectly normal looking Intel PII that will silently fry any
                    motherboard you put it in.
                    -> A magnet that will 'clean up any Windows installation' or 'remove
                    viruses (viri)' instantly.
                    -> A video card that the L-USER installed the second MB of memory
                    backwards. Well it WAS a video card, now it's a board with a blackened
                    bubbling mass and a few chips. "... Well, after the smoke started
                    coming out I turned off the computer. Ever since then it never booted
                    up."
                    and my favorite...
                    -> A note (left with our receptionist while I was at lunch)
                    proclaiming that a customer was having a good day. His system booted
                    up with no errors for a whole week and he wouldn't be killing himself.

                    Makes me long for those days again sometimes.

                    /Cyberfunkr