Some thoughts

  • mocha@mcs.net
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 23, 2001
      I thought last night's fix did correct the Feats for the halfling
      Monk bug (actually, it was much larger than that - pun intended - it
      affected all Monks and even other classes).

      Last night's fix should have also addressed the total bonuses to hit
      not being correct on the charactersheet. I just created a 10th level
      wizard with an 18 Dex and weapon finesse on a dagger and the total
      bonus to hit came up correctly: +9 (+5 for wizard levels, +4 for dex).

      And yes - the readme.html is wrong about the order of the feats and
      skills - thanks for pointing that out! It does indeed set the bonus
      skills per level before the initial feats for the race. I should have
      used tags for everything so there wouldn't be any ambiguity.

      And what's the difference between ADD: and FEAT:? Simple - ADD is
      where you get to choose only 1 item from the list, and they don't
      have to be just feats (e.g. ADD:Favored Enemy for Rangers). You get
      everything listed after the FEAT: tag for free. ADD is more like
      CHOOSE - except with CHOOSE you can only choose from pre-defined
      lists if similar items whereas ADD you can only pick one item and the
      lists are more free-form (the items in the list don't have to exist
      anywhere else, unless you specify it's a list of FEATs).

      I'm glad so many people are enjoying PCGen. I'm also glad that a
      number of the people who have been in this group for a while can help
      answer questions! I'd like to be able to reply to everyone - however
      I'm getting so much that it's just not possible, so I'll have to rely
      somewhat on all of you to help answer each other's questions. I'll
      chime in as I have time, or if it's clear that only someone with the
      code in front of them can answer the question.

      Thanks again - and keep the bugs and comments and feedback coming!

      -Bryan
    • David E Cortijo
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 26, 2001
        Some thoughts/comments on recent suggestions:

        1) While the idea of allowing a REGION tag is intriguing, we need to make
        sure we add it in as an option, not a requirement. In my opinion, the
        best way to do something like that in the interim is to make a different
        race for each region you have (i.e. Human, Plains|Human, City|Human,
        Mountains - for example) with different automatic languanges or bonus
        language lists. Keep in mind that one of the racial benefits of humans is
        that they can choose any language as one of their bonus languages,
        regardless of their origins. I agree that the function is something to
        look into, but not until we can handle most (in not all) of the requests
        that have been sitting around since day one. Now, in the process of
        reading through even more emails, I found yet more support for the REGION
        tag. So, this is my solution that everyone should find acceptable. On
        the Main/Options tab, have a checkbox that says "Home Region
        Support." There could be a REGION.LST file with regions listed (by
        campaign world), similar to the CAMPAIGN.LST file, but with LANGAUTO,
        LANGBONUS, and FEAT tags. Feats and classes that are restricted by region
        would simply get the REGIONAL flag in their respective list files, so that
        every region wouldn't have to be listed for each feat (trust me, you DON'T
        want that in any case). REGIONAL items would look to the REGION.LST file
        for what regions are valid and only allow members of those regions to take
        the feat/class. For those of us with non-regional campaigns running, the
        "Home Region Support" box would remain unchecked, leaving my players free
        to take whatever feat they wanted (with my approval - I tend to be a very
        involved GM). That should leave everyone who plays FR happy with the
        following exception - I don't know if anyone has bothered to really read
        how regions work in Forgotten Realms (this is not to insult anyone, merely
        to bring up an important issue). Here is the text from the Forgotten
        Realms Guidelines:
        "Regional Feats: If you choose a home region preferred
        by your character race or class, you may select regional
        feats appropriate to that region. These feats represent the
        common sorts of things that people from that region learn.
        If you did not choose a character class preferred in your
        home region, you cannot begin play with one of those
        regional feats. You are still limited by the number of feats
        available to your character based upon class and race.
        You can acquire regional feats later in your adventuring
        career. With a few exceptions, any regional feats
        appropriate to your race or homeland that you dont select
        at 1st level are still available the next time you gain the
        ability to select a feat.
        You may even learn feats from a new region altogether,
        whether or not you belong to an encouraged class for that
        region. After 1st level, each 2 ranks in Knowledge (local)
        you have allow you to select feats from a single region
        (other than your home region, if applicable)."

        As you can see, Home Regions are not as cut and dry as they seem at a
        glance - they involve careful choices by the character in order to gain
        the regional feats associated with them. Unless class restrictions can be
        taken into account with the REGION logic, you only gain partial
        functionality of the Home Regions.

        2) The ZIP file support idea has been batted around for the past few weeks
        - people go back and forth on the issue as well (I know I have). I
        believe that the last consensus was to have fragmented LST files, but that
        the CAMPAIGN.LST file would remain for piecemeal campaigns that need to
        utilize information from the different files (to prevent duplication of
        information across LST files). However, Bryan has said he's going to hold
        of on such alterations to the program for a week or two while he works on
        other things within PCgen(like the conversion). It's my understanding
        that such a change would require quite a bit of reworking to PCgen as a
        program, so I honestly don't know how long it will be until this change is
        made, but I feel confident it will be.

        3) The magic items haven't been included in the main release for two
        primary reasons. First, magic items aren't fully supported yet (i.e. the
        program doesn't know what to do with a flaming burst +2 long sword (for
        cost, damage, or other features.)). Someone might sit down and code a
        magical item generator (maybe not even Bryan) which automatically
        calculates the cost of the weapon/armor/etc. Second, the way items
        currently work (as well as with the current LST file setup, where all the
        files load at once), the program takes three times as long to load when
        magic items are added to the files. There is also a bit of lag on the
        Items tag, which shouldn't be happening on my Athlon 650 - I was pretty
        vocal about all this when the files were first released.

        4) On the website front - Bryan and I have been discussing this. I sent
        him some pricing information for domain hosting and whatnot. He placed me
        at point for this project, but I'm glad to see we have other people
        enthusiastic about working on it. I planned to have a tutorial/character
        creation walkthrough, guidelines to using each LST file (separately, to
        prevent confusion) as well as the CSHEET output, screenshots where
        relevant, gaming-themed artwork - overall, the site can be pretty
        impressive with minimal work. The only hurdle I've found thusfar is the
        monetary cost, which can be reduced with advertising bars - though I'd
        prefer to do the site with no out-of-pocket expense to anyone. If people
        are willing to help with the site in any capacity, please email me
        privately with what field you can help with (artwork, tutorials, etc) so
        that we don't completely overload the egroups server.

        I think that's about it for now...

        Dave
      • Nigel Bennington
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 26, 2001
          A suggestion,
          Since Wizards have now started defining feats with commas in the names
          (e.g. Blindsight, 5-foot Radius) can we use some other character to separate
          the list of feats that are prerequisites for other feats, the pipe character
          would seem good to me, e.g. in feats.lst

          Rather than

          Spring Attack FEAT:Dodge,Mobility

          Use

          Spring Attack FEAT:Dodge|Mobility

          or even

          Spring Attack FEAT:Dodge;Mobility

          Cheers,

          Nigel.
        • Arcady
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 26, 2001
            I don't like the semicolon as it doesn't have a high visual
            presense.

            I prefer the pipe or even brackets.

            Here are some various options:

            FEATS:[Alertness][Scribe Scroll][Blindfight, 5 foot radius]
            FEATS:[Alertness].[Scribe Scroll].[Blindfight, 5 foot radius]
            FEATS:[Alertness;Scribe Scroll;Blindfight, 5 foot radius]
            FEATS:Alertness|Scribe Scroll|Blindfight, 5 foot radius
            FEATS:Alertness#Scribe Scroll#Blindfight, 5 foot radius
            FEATS:[Alertness]#[Scribe Scroll]#[Blindfight, 5 foot radius]
            FEATS:[Alertness]-[Scribe Scroll]-[Blindfight, 5 foot radius]
            FEATS:[Alertness]:[Scribe Scroll]:[Blindfight, 5 foot radius]
            FEATS:Alertness<->Scribe Scroll<->Blindfight, 5 foot radius

            In the end it needs to be something with a high visual
            presense that clearly distinguishes them with even a casual
            glance. But is not distracting.

            Some of my examples above do this. Some of them are
            distractions, and some of them completely fail to distinguish
            unless you stop and read.

            --- Nigel Bennington <nigel@...> wrote:
            > A suggestion,
            > Since Wizards have now started defining feats with commas
            > in the names
            > (e.g. Blindsight, 5-foot Radius) can we use some other
            > character to separate
            > the list of feats that are prerequisites for other feats,
            > the pipe character
            > would seem good to me, e.g. in feats.lst
            >
            > Rather than
            >
            > Spring Attack FEAT:Dodge,Mobility
            >
            > Use
            >
            > Spring Attack FEAT:Dodge|Mobility
            >
            > or even
            >
            > Spring Attack FEAT:Dodge;Mobility
            >

            > Cheers,
            >
            > Nigel.

            http://auctions.yahoo.com/
          • Erin
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 26, 2001
              How about "~"?  I don't think it's used for ANYTHING else, and it's as high a visual presence as "-"
              I don't like the semicolon as it doesn't have a high visual
              presense.

              I prefer the pipe or even brackets.

              Here are some various options:

              FEATS:[Alertness][Scribe Scroll][Blindfight, 5 foot radius]
              FEATS:[Alertness].[Scribe Scroll].[Blindfight, 5 foot radius]
              FEATS:[Alertness;Scribe Scroll;Blindfight, 5 foot radius]
              FEATS:Alertness|Scribe Scroll|Blindfight, 5 foot radius
              FEATS:Alertness#Scribe Scroll#Blindfight, 5 foot radius
              FEATS:[Alertness]#[Scribe Scroll]#[Blindfight, 5 foot radius]
              FEATS:[Alertness]-[Scribe Scroll]-[Blindfight, 5 foot radius]
              FEATS:[Alertness]:[Scribe Scroll]:[Blindfight, 5 foot radius]
              FEATS:Alertness<->Scribe Scroll<->Blindfight, 5 foot radius

              In the end it needs to be something with a high visual
              presense that clearly distinguishes them with even a casual
              glance. But is not distracting.

              Some of my examples above do this. Some of them are
              distractions, and some of them completely fail to distinguish
              unless you stop and read.

              --- Nigel Bennington <nigel@...> wrote:
              > A suggestion,
              >  Since Wizards have now started defining feats with commas
              > in the names
              > (e.g. Blindsight, 5-foot Radius) can we use some other
              > character to separate
              > the list of feats that are prerequisites for other feats,
              > the pipe character
              > would seem good to me, e.g. in feats.lst
              >
              > Rather than
              >
              > Spring Attack      FEAT:Dodge,Mobility
              >
              > Use
              >
              > Spring Attack      FEAT:Dodge|Mobility
              >
              > or even
              >
              > Spring Attack      FEAT:Dodge;Mobility
              >

              > Cheers,
              >
              > Nigel.

            • Rich Allen
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 26, 2001
                I'd vote for this one.

                > FEATS:[Alertness]-[Scribe Scroll]-[Blindfight, 5 foot radius]

                Rich
              • David Cortijo
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 26, 2001
                  In order to keep things uniform across list files, I would use the
                  pipeline-delimiter that's being used in all the other LST files and most
                  other entries right now. More that one character makes it tedious to add
                  each new entry.

                  Dave
                  > > FEATS:[Alertness]-[Scribe Scroll]-[Blindfight, 5 foot radius]
                  >

                  > Rich

                • Arcady
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 26, 2001
                    I'm not too keen on the pipeline myself as it isn't too visible by itself.

                    David Cortijo wrote:

                    > In order to keep things uniform across list files, I would use the
                    > pipeline-delimiter that's being used in all the other LST files and most
                    > other entries right now. More that one character makes it tedious to add
                    > each new entry.
                    >
                    > Dave

                  • David Cortijo
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 26, 2001
                      I agree that it's not visible unless you look for it, but why does it have
                      to be? Unless someone is using the LST files as a magazine and just reading
                      through it, the only real purpose for the delimiter is for the people adding
                      to/editing features in the LST files. Since we're specifically talking
                      about adding the PREFEAT: tag for prestige classes, I think the pipeline
                      works just fine - unless people have a real need to go in and edit all the
                      PREFEAT tags out there.

                      Dave
                      > I'm not too keen on the pipeline myself as it isn't too visible by itself.
                      >
                      > David Cortijo wrote:
                      >
                      > > In order to keep things uniform across list files, I would use the
                      > > pipeline-delimiter that's being used in all the other LST files and most
                      > > other entries right now. More that one character makes it tedious to
                      add
                      > > each new entry.
                      > >
                      > > Dave

                    • Arcady
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 26, 2001
                        Ah.

                        I was thinking we were talking about the output string of feats that
                        prints out to the character sheets.

                        This thing:

                        Armor Proficiency (light),Simple Weapon Proficiency,Armor Proficiency
                        (medium),Shield Proficiency,Dodge

                        On the output I want something clear.

                        I could care less about the lst files being readable. As long as they
                        are clean enough for PCGen to handle them they're good to go.

                        Also, the same seperators used on the Feats output should be used on the
                        special abilities output.

                      • mocha@mcs.net
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 27, 2001
                          As far as the LST file delimiters go, it has to be a single character
                          for coding reasons. In some cases I need two kind of delimiters (e.g.
                          BONUS:type|item,item,item|bonus). When outputting stuff (e.g.
                          csheet), I can make lists default to using the ; character, and for
                          some of the list-type tokens (like FEATLIST) you can specify what you
                          want between each item (e.g. |FEATLIST*| would result in Simple
                          Weapon Proficiency*Martial Weapon Proficiency). Currently both
                          |SPECIALLIST| and |FEATLIST| use , if nothing is specified. I should
                          probably default them to ;

                          -Bryan

                          --- In pcgen@y..., Arcady <arcady0@y...> wrote:
                          > Ah.
                          >
                          > I was thinking we were talking about the output string of feats
                          that
                          > prints out to the character sheets.
                          >
                          > This thing:
                          >
                          > Armor Proficiency (light),Simple Weapon Proficiency,Armor
                          Proficiency
                          > (medium),Shield Proficiency,Dodge
                          >

                          > On the output I want something clear.
                          >
                          > I could care less about the lst files being readable. As long as
                          they
                          > are clean enough for PCGen to handle them they're good to go.
                          >
                          > Also, the same seperators used on the Feats output should be used
                          on the
                          > special abilities output.
                          >

                          > David Cortijo wrote:
                          >
                          > > I agree that it's not visible unless you look for it, but why
                          does it have
                          > > to be? Unless someone is using the LST files as a magazine and
                          just
                          > > reading
                          > > through it, the only real purpose for the delimiter is for the
                          people
                          > > adding
                          > > to/editing features in the LST files. Since we're specifically
                          talking
                          > > about adding the PREFEAT: tag for prestige classes, I think the
                          pipeline
                          > > works just fine - unless people have a real need to go in and
                          edit all the
                          > > PREFEAT tags out there.
                          > >
                          > > Dave

                        • Arcady
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 27, 2001
                            ; ?

                            That's one of the hardest characters to see clearly.

                            Can you make it so we can have up to 3 characters in there?

                            Since ]-[ is the most visible option available I'd like to set my sheet
                            up for it.

                          • Lonestar
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 27, 2001
                              Hi everyone :)

                              I'm new to the list and I'd like to say that PCGen seems to be a great
                              program ;)
                              Anyways, when I tried to create my 3rd level wizard I found out that
                              PCgen sometimes behaves a little strange:

                              1. On the char sheet it says 1d40 damage for a Dagger
                              2. It says Armor class 13 (base +10, ability mod +4, armor check -3)
                              The char has str 10 and carries 42.5lbs, thats medium load. ok,
                              that gives a max dex bonus of +3, so AC is 13, but is there a way to have the
                              AC calculated only with the weight of items the char has equipped
                              (I mean ignoring the stuff he carries around in his backpack).
                              After all I don't imagine the chars always keep their backpacks on
                              during combat.
                              Wheres the difference between equipped and non-equipped items?
                              3. I can't delete additional spellbooks.
                              4. the known spells don't show on the char sheet
                              5. would it be possible to have a Masterwork switch for items that are
                              available in a masterwork version?

                              Lonestar
                            • David Cortijo
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 27, 2001
                                > I'm new to the list and I'd like to say that PCGen seems to be a great
                                > program ;)
                                > Anyways, when I tried to create my 3rd level wizard I found out that
                                > PCgen sometimes behaves a little strange:
                                >
                                > 1. On the char sheet it says 1d40 damage for a Dagger

                                I'm getting this problem with many weapons on the csheet (both .htm and
                                .html). For damages of d4, d6, and d8 increments, PCgen is added a zero to
                                the end of the damage die. This is a BIG problem - hopefully we can fix
                                this before my players actually believe that the Greatsword does 2d60
                                damage.

                                > 2. It says Armor class 13 (base +10, ability mod +4, armor check -3)
                                > The char has str 10 and carries 42.5lbs, thats medium load. ok,
                                > that gives a max dex bonus of +3, so AC is 13, but is there a way to
                                have the
                                > AC calculated only with the weight of items the char has equipped
                                > (I mean ignoring the stuff he carries around in his backpack).
                                > After all I don't imagine the chars always keep their backpacks on
                                > during combat.
                                > Wheres the difference between equipped and non-equipped items?

                                Currently, everything the character owns is considered carried (for all
                                purposes - including combat). Equipped items are used to determine to hit
                                bonuses and AC - equipping most other items doesn't do much right now.
                                Bryan is working on tweaking that so that you can determine just what you
                                are carrying. As an aside, I don't allow my players to do things like drop
                                their backpacks before combat - it's sort of difficult when surprised, and
                                makes it very easy for the Kobold Rogue lurking near by to come and snatch
                                it away.

                                > 3. I can't delete additional spellbooks.

                                This is a known bug/feature request that Bryan is working on as well.

                                > 4. the known spells don't show on the char sheet

                                I'm getting them to show. Try this again. If it's still not working, let
                                me know which sheet you're using. Make sure you've actually selected known
                                spells, and that you have the INT to cast them.

                                > 5. would it be possible to have a Masterwork switch for items that are
                                > available in a masterwork version?
                                >
                                > Lonestar

                                I believe that the "masterwork" modification is being considered along with
                                the rest of a complete magic item generator. However, I don't know all the
                                details on that (and, as the "Keeper O' The Features," if anyone would know
                                besides Bryan, it'd likely be me). It should be rather easy to add
                                masterwork items in by hand if you want to, but I don't believe that there
                                is a need for a separate masterwork switch right now, as the masterwork
                                quality could easily be added into the item generator.

                                Thanks for your suggestions - it seems you're on the same page with everyone
                                even though you're new. Feel free to send feature requests or bug reports
                                to the group whenever you find them. Also, if you're interested in seeing
                                what's in the works, go to the yahoogroups site
                                (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pcgen) and in the Files section there is a
                                directory called "new to do list" - that contains the running log of bug
                                reports and feature requests. It will give you an idea of what's in the
                                works, as well as possibly get your creative juices flowing for even more
                                ideas. Welcome to PCgen.

                                Dave
                              • Lonestar
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 27, 2001
                                  >> 2. It says Armor class 13 (base +10, ability mod +4, armor check -3)
                                  >> The char has str 10 and carries 42.5lbs, thats medium load. ok,
                                  >> that gives a max dex bonus of +3, so AC is 13, but is there a way to
                                  DC> have the
                                  >> AC calculated only with the weight of items the char has equipped
                                  >> (I mean ignoring the stuff he carries around in his backpack).
                                  >> After all I don't imagine the chars always keep their backpacks on
                                  >> during combat.
                                  >> Wheres the difference between equipped and non-equipped items?

                                  DC> Currently, everything the character owns is considered carried (for all
                                  DC> purposes - including combat). Equipped items are used to determine to hit
                                  DC> bonuses and AC - equipping most other items doesn't do much right now.
                                  DC> Bryan is working on tweaking that so that you can determine just what you
                                  DC> are carrying. As an aside, I don't allow my players to do things like drop
                                  DC> their backpacks before combat - it's sort of difficult when surprised, and
                                  DC> makes it very easy for the Kobold Rogue lurking near by to come and snatch
                                  DC> it away.
                                  It would also be nice to be able to assign items to "containers" (i.e.
                                  the saddle bags on the horse, the backpack, a belt pouch...)
                                  and concerning the Kobold Rogue...well, if they throw away their stuff
                                  I count it as a full action and if anything gets stolen, well, sh*t
                                  happens *evilDMgrin*

                                  >> 4. the known spells don't show on the char sheet

                                  DC> I'm getting them to show. Try this again. If it's still not working, let
                                  DC> me know which sheet you're using. Make sure you've actually selected known
                                  DC> spells, and that you have the INT to cast them.

                                  I used the csheet.htm that came with PCgen (release 25/01).
                                  The list of how many spells I know is there, but the spell list itself
                                  is missing. I can send you the created charsheet if you want to see it
                                  yourself... ;)

                                  DC> ideas. Welcome to PCgen.

                                  Thanks :)

                                  Lonestar
                                • Shane Harsch
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 28, 2001
                                    I know this isn't necessarily the place, but, quick release packs are not
                                    all that uncommon now and in a world where adventurers have matches,
                                    flashbangs, grenades, and napalm (player's handbook), quick release is not a
                                    big deal. Make it a move equivalent action, thus precluding a Full Attack or
                                    any other full round action. Let the repercussions of having their stuff
                                    stolen be the deterrant, if those little Kobolds can get in and grab it in
                                    the first place (attack of opportunity).

> [...]
                                    > besides Bryan, it'd likely be me). It should be rather easy to add
                                    > masterwork items in by hand if you want to, but I don't believe that there
                                    > is a need for a separate masterwork switch right now, as the masterwork
                                    > quality could easily be added into the item generator.
                                    >
                                    > Thanks for your suggestions - it seems you're on the same page with
                                    everyone
                                    > even though you're new. Feel free to send feature requests or bug reports
                                    > to the group whenever you find them. Also, if you're interested in seeing
                                    > what's in the works, go to the yahoogroups site
                                    > (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pcgen) and in the Files section there is a
                                    > directory called "new to do list" - that contains the running log of bug
                                    > reports and feature requests. It will give you an idea of what's in the
                                    > works, as well as possibly get your creative juices flowing for even more

                                  • Lonestar
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jan 29, 2001
                                      >>> 4. the known spells don't show on the char sheet

                                      DC>> I'm getting them to show. Try this again. If it's still not working, let
                                      DC>> me know which sheet you're using. Make sure you've actually selected known
                                      DC>> spells, and that you have the INT to cast them.

                                      L> I used the csheet.htm that came with PCgen (release 25/01).
                                      L> The list of how many spells I know is there, but the spell list itself
                                      L> is missing. I can send you the created charsheet if you want to see it
                                      L> yourself... ;)

                                      Oh well, stupid me ;)
                                      I just found out that I have to add additional spellbooks with the
                                      spells I have memorized.
                                      It would be great though if the spells the char actually knows also
                                      show on the charsheet and if all the additionaly spellbooks (sets)
                                      were printed on the sheet.

                                      Lonestar
                                    • mocha@mcs.net
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jan 29, 2001
                                        I uploaded a csheetspell.html file into the Converted LST items
                                        folder. That was before the Character Sheet folder was created, I
                                        should probably move it to there now. Anyway, it lists all the known
                                        and memorized spells along with a lot more details about the spells.

                                        -Bryan