Re: vest of escape - +4 Open Lock

  • cyberfunkr
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 1, 2002
      Just for reference:

      http://www.howstuffworks.com/lock-picking.htm

      Fueling the fire
      /Cyberfunkr

      --- In pcgen@y..., "Don Mac Phee" <macphee@c...> wrote:
      > I've got a small wrench set that I cart around in my Jeep (came for
      free
      > with a camera), and contains the barest of essentials.
      >
      > Because there have been times where THAT set hasn't been wholly
      sufficient,
      > I carry a spare lock box full of odds and ends tools (Vise Grips,
      Air
      > inflator, bleed kit, etc.)
      >
      > Neither set will cover all jobs, but there have been times that I've
      pulled
      > tools from one, the other or both to get the job done.
      >
      > I would consider this example to parallel very well with lockpicks.
      In the
      > reading that I've done on the subject, for common locks, one could
      get by
      > with a half a dozen picks and a couple of pries, but that wouldn't
      cover
      > EVERYTHING, and you would possibly need an "expansion set" to cover
      some of
      > the newer locks, or traps.
      >
      > It's your world, but I think your mistaken.
      >
      > -Don

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • kserrano76
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 3, 2002
        Beleive me if i can allow these tools to stack, I'd be even happier.
        I've spoken to the DM and he doesn't think they should.

        I understand tha analaogy of using different tools from different
        kits. However, looking at it from the persepctive of bonuses, I
        think that it would be hard to allow bonuses to stack if I'm using
        parts of one kit and parts of another. The argument against stacking
        is that the bonus comes from using the whole set, not peices from
        the set.

        Anyway, my reason for posting this is not to debate whether they
        should stack but to find out how to customize the lst file so that
        they do not stack. However I still need the +2 from the MW tools for
        disable device as the vest of escape only applies to open lock.

        Kristian

      • Emily Smirle
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 4, 2002
          kserrano76 wrote:

          > Anyway, my reason for posting this is not to debate whether they
          > should stack but to find out how to customize the lst file so that
          > they do not stack. However I still need the +2 from the MW tools for
          > disable device as the vest of escape only applies to open lock.

          Quick answer, change the type of the two sets of boni to be the same (ie
          Circumstance, or whatever).
          --
          "Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total
          oblivion. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 4, 2002
            Um.. but NOT Circumstance... that stacks (is in the stacks.lst or whatever
            the name of it is in /system)

            Tir Gwaith
            LST Chimp
            Strange Monkey
            MM Race Dragon
            > > Anyway, my reason for posting this is not to debate whether they
            > > should stack but to find out how to customize the lst file so that
            > > they do not stack. However I still need the +2 from the MW tools for
            > > disable device as the vest of escape only applies to open lock.
            > >

            > Quick answer, change the type of the two sets of boni to be the same (ie
            > Circumstance, or whatever).
            > --
            > "Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total
            > oblivion. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and
            > through me. And when it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to
            > see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing.
            > Only I will remain." - www.goats.com

          • gsbingl
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 4, 2002
              Something other than Circumstance as it is in bonusstacks.lst

              Byngl

              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 4, 2002
                Thank you all for your help. I will try this tomorrow before my game
                and let you know how it works.

                Kristian

                PS - This was a rather interesting discussion on whether the two
                should stack or not. I think I will post this on the boards at
                wizards to see what they have to say.

                --- In pcgen@y..., "gsbingl" <byngl@h...> wrote:
                > Something other than Circumstance as it is in bonusstacks.lst
                >
                > Byngl
                >
                > --- In pcgen@y..., Emily Smirle <smirle4498@r...> wrote:
                > > kserrano76 wrote:
                > >
                > > > Anyway, my reason for posting this is not to debate whether
                they
                > > > should stack but to find out how to customize the lst file so
                > that
                > > > they do not stack. However I still need the +2 from the MW
                tools
                > for
                > > > disable device as the vest of escape only applies to open lock.
                > > >

                > > Quick answer, change the type of the two sets of boni to be the
                > same (ie
                > > Circumstance, or whatever).
                > > --
              • kserrano76
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 6, 2002
                  For reference, on P. 114 of the PHB under Tools, Masterwork, it
                  states that Bonuses provided by multiple masterwork items used
                  toward the same skill do not stack. All magic items are considered
                  MW.

                  I'm still working on modifying the vest of escape so the bonuses
                  don't stack with MW tools. I was able to apply the circumstance
                  adjustment to Vest of Escape to remove the -2 penalty for not using
                  tools. Also, I think the MW Tools are somehow overriding the Vest of
                  Escape in the Open Lock skill Bonus.