Monster Skills (filed as Bug 560634)

  • rabrhe
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 29 4:08 PM
      Okay, it's been a month since I filed it (moved a few thousand miles
      and had to get new Internet access, which is why I haven't said
      anything about it) . . .

      PCGen calculates monster skill ranks/points incorrectly when Use
      Default Monsters is unchecked.

      For example, a medusa character with an Intelligence (after
      adjustments) of 12 should have 34 skill points to spend. 2x
      Intelligence for the first level of Monstrous Humanoid, and 2 points
      per level for the levels 2-6 of
      Monstrous Humanoid, and no ranks in any skills.

      Instead, PCGen dives th medusa the default medusa array of skills (9
      ranks each of Bluff, Disguise, and Spot, and 7 of Move Silently, for a
      total of 34 skill points), plus twelve unspent skill points (probably
      calculated as two for each level of Monstrous Humanoid).

      Thanks!
    • rabrhe
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2002
        1) With "Use Default Monsters" unchecked, BONUS:SKILLRANK entries in
        the monster race file should be ignored.

        2) Either the SKILLMULT: tag must allow formulas including the
        character's Intelligence, or the program must automatically substitute
        the following values for SKILLMULT when a race with HD is chosen:

        Aberration : SKILLMULT equal to Intelligence
        Beast : SKILLMULT equal to 2*Intelligence
        Elemental : SKILLMULT equal to Intelligence
        Fey: SKILLMULT equal to 1.5*Intelligence
        Magical Beast: SKILLMULT equal to 2*Intelligence
        Monstrous Humanoid: SKILLMULT equal to Intelligence
        Shapechanger: SKILLMULT equal to 2*Intelligence
        Undead: SKILLMULT equal to 1.5*Intelligence

        Either way, to do this would require modification (at least) of the
        Race.java method of getting the skill multiplier, which currently reads:

        public int getInitialSkillMultiplier()
        {
        return initialSkillMultiplier;
        }

        Obviously, just returning an integer isn't enough to support the
        above-mentioned types of monsters.

        Thanks for reading!
      • merton_monk
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1, 2002
          Added to the Bug description you name. Thanks for your input! That
          should make nailing this much easier. :)

          -Bryan