custom feat - item restricted activation

  • StromMcLeod
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 28, 2002
      Here's my intent:
      Create a feat (originally an Exotic Weapon Proficiency in our
      campaign) for the quarterstaff which provides virtual feats of both
      Ambidexterity and Two-Weapon Proficiency, but only when using a
      quarterstaff and with light encumbrance.

      In pcgen, I got this to work... sort of. I just can't seem to limit
      the bonuses to "only when using a quarterstaff"
      I tried adding "PREITEM=1,Quarterstaff%" to the BONUS entry, but that
      did not seem to work, it stopped applying any of the bonuses at that
      point.

      Tried adding "PREITEM" to the feat itself but that just prevents you
      from picking up the feat unless you have a quarterstaff in
      inventory...

      any help would be greatly appreciated.

      Thus far, in customfeats.lst, I have (replaced tabs with linefeeds
      here for posting):
      Improved Quarterstaff Fighting
      TYPE:General.Fighter
      PREHANDSEQ:2
      BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-
      PRIMARY|2|TYPE=NotRanged|MOVE=LIGHT|PREITEM=1,Quarterstaff%
      BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-
      SECONDARY|6|TYPE=NotRanged|MOVE=LIGHT|PREITEM=1,Quarterstaff%
      DESC:When using a Quarterstaff, you gain both virtual feats
      Ambidexterity and Two-Weapon Fighting.

      I've also tried WEAPON instead of COMBAT, but that didn't seem to
      work.
    • merton_monk
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 28, 2002
        Hmmm.... you could
        1. create a special quarterstaff which had VFEAT:Ambidexterity|Two-
        Weapon Fighting on it, so when it was equipped it would behave the
        way you want.
        2. we could add a new bonus tag, something like
        BONUS:WEAPONPROF=Quarterstaff|TOHIT-PRIMARY in addition to
        BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-PRIMARY that way it would only affect
        quarterstaves.

        -Bryan

        --- In pcgen@y..., "StromMcLeod" <pkmf@y...> wrote:
        > Here's my intent:
        > Create a feat (originally an Exotic Weapon Proficiency in our
        > campaign) for the quarterstaff which provides virtual feats of both
        > Ambidexterity and Two-Weapon Proficiency, but only when using a
        > quarterstaff and with light encumbrance.
        >
        > In pcgen, I got this to work... sort of. I just can't seem to
        limit
        > the bonuses to "only when using a quarterstaff"
        > I tried adding "PREITEM=1,Quarterstaff%" to the BONUS entry, but
        that
        > did not seem to work, it stopped applying any of the bonuses at
        that
        > point.
        >
        > Tried adding "PREITEM" to the feat itself but that just prevents
        you
        > from picking up the feat unless you have a quarterstaff in
        > inventory...
        >
        > any help would be greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Thus far, in customfeats.lst, I have (replaced tabs with linefeeds
        > here for posting):
        > Improved Quarterstaff Fighting
        > TYPE:General.Fighter
        > PREHANDSEQ:2
        > BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-
        > PRIMARY|2|TYPE=NotRanged|MOVE=LIGHT|PREITEM=1,Quarterstaff%
        > BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-
        > SECONDARY|6|TYPE=NotRanged|MOVE=LIGHT|PREITEM=1,Quarterstaff%
        > DESC:When using a Quarterstaff, you gain both virtual feats
        > Ambidexterity and Two-Weapon Fighting.
        >
        > I've also tried WEAPON instead of COMBAT, but that didn't seem to
        > work.
      • StromMcLeod
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 28, 2002
          > Hmmm.... you could
          > 1. create a special quarterstaff which had VFEAT:Ambidexterity|Two-
          > Weapon Fighting on it, so when it was equipped it would behave the
          > way you want.
          > 2. we could add a new bonus tag, something like
          > BONUS:WEAPONPROF=Quarterstaff|TOHIT-PRIMARY in addition to
          > BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-PRIMARY that way it would only affect
          > quarterstaves.

          option 1 probably makes sense because it could potentially allow
          someone to take improved two-weapon fighting, using the virtual feats
          provided by "improved quarterstaff fighting" to fulfill the
          requirements... would that be supported automatically by the system?

          I'd ask for option 2, but only if it's not too much work for you guys
          on the development side...

          which reminds me, i probably should put the quarterstaff weapon
          proficiency as a prerequisite for the improved quarterstaff fighting.
        • StromMcLeod
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 28, 2002
            > Hmmm.... you could
            > 1. create a special quarterstaff which had VFEAT:Ambidexterity|Two-
            > Weapon Fighting on it, so when it was equipped it would behave the
            > way you want.
            > 2. we could add a new bonus tag, something like
            > BONUS:WEAPONPROF=Quarterstaff|TOHIT-PRIMARY in addition to
            > BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-PRIMARY that way it would only affect
            > quarterstaves.
            >
            > -Bryan

            Actually... would it make more sense to do something like:
            BONUS:WEAPONPROF=Quarterstaff|VFEAT=Ambidexterity,Two-Weapon Fighting

            to basically give the feat the virtual feats ambidextertiy and two-
            weapon fighting when it encounters items with the right weapon
            proficiency?
            (It seems that currently, only items and classes can use the VFEAT
            tag)
          • arknathd
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 1, 2002
              Personally, I'd like to have VFEAT used because it would work the
              same and just use a custom item. Creating another tag just seems
              extrenuous and we need to keep the code tight.

              Ark
              Feat 'tang
              LST Henchmule
              "Life's a hench." - Nodwick coffee mug

              --- In pcgen@y..., "StromMcLeod" <pkmf@y...> wrote:
              > --- In pcgen@y..., "merton_monk" <merton_monk@y...> wrote:
              > > Hmmm.... you could
              > > 1. create a special quarterstaff which had
              VFEAT:Ambidexterity|Two-
              > > Weapon Fighting on it, so when it was equipped it would behave
              the
              > > way you want.
              > > 2. we could add a new bonus tag, something like
              > > BONUS:WEAPONPROF=Quarterstaff|TOHIT-PRIMARY in addition to
              > > BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-PRIMARY that way it would only affect
              > > quarterstaves.
              > >
              > > -Bryan
              >
              > Actually... would it make more sense to do something like:
              > BONUS:WEAPONPROF=Quarterstaff|VFEAT=Ambidexterity,Two-Weapon
              Fighting

              > to basically give the feat the virtual feats ambidextertiy and two-
              > weapon fighting when it encounters items with the right weapon
              > proficiency?
              > (It seems that currently, only items and classes can use the VFEAT
              > tag)
            • StromMcLeod
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 1, 2002
                Yeah, I've decided to go with the item route, adding a check to see if
                you have the Exotic Weapon Prof, then giving the VFEATS... now, could
                I do a customweapon .MOD to the base Quarterstaff item instead of
                creating a whole new set of quartersaves?
                (I was going to dl the src and dig through it to see how it's been
                implemented)

                --- In pcgen@y..., "arknathd" <gemguard@h...> wrote:
                > Personally, I'd like to have VFEAT used because it would work the
                > same and just use a custom item. Creating another tag just seems
                > extrenuous and we need to keep the code tight.
                >
                > Ark
              • arknathd
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 2, 2002
                  Yes...you should be able to MOD the quarterstaff from the PHB...

                  Ark
                  Feat 'tang
                  LST Henchmule
                  "Life's a hench." <HEE HAW> - Nodwick coffee mug

                  --- In pcgen@y..., "StromMcLeod" <pkmf@y...> wrote:
                  > Yeah, I've decided to go with the item route, adding a check to see
                  if
                  > you have the Exotic Weapon Prof, then giving the VFEATS... now,
                  could
                  > I do a customweapon .MOD to the base Quarterstaff item instead of
                  > creating a whole new set of quartersaves?
                  > (I was going to dl the src and dig through it to see how it's been
                  > implemented)
                  >
                  > --- In pcgen@y..., "arknathd" <gemguard@h...> wrote:
                  > > Personally, I'd like to have VFEAT used because it would work the
                  > > same and just use a custom item. Creating another tag just seems
                  > > extrenuous and we need to keep the code tight.
                  > >
                  > > Ark
                • StromMcLeod
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 3, 2002
                    Yup, I'm still having trouble getting quarterstaves to act as if you
                    had ambidexterity and two-weapon fighting if you have a custom feat
                    "Improved Quarterstaff Fighting"...

                    Here's what I have thus far:
                    in customfeat.lst:
                    Improved Quarterstaff Fighting TYPE:General.Fighter PREWEAPONPROF:Quarterstaff PREHANDSEQ:2 DESC:When using a Quarterstaff, you gain both virtual
                    feats Ambidexterity and Two-Weapon Fighting.

                    in customeweapmelee.lst:
                    Quarterstaff.MOD
                    VFEAT:Ambidexterity|PREFEAT:1,Improved Quarterstaff Fighting VFEAT:Two-Weapon
                    Fighting|PREFEAT:1,Improved Quarterstaff Fighting

                    Behavior I'm seeing:
                    load 3E PHB, 3E DMG, and Custom list as source
                    create a new character with STR of 10 or 11 (for +0 mod)
                    give him dagger and quarterstaff.
                    set dagger to 'carried, two-weapon'
                    set quarterstaff to "equipped, both"
                    go to preview and notice taht both dagger and quarterstaff show attack
                    mods to be -3/-7.
                    cancel preview, go to the Feats Tab... suddenly, the two virtual feats
                    show up.
                    to be -1/-1.

                    So, two problems:
                    1) the virtual feats didn't show up until I went into the feats tab
                    (is that normal?)

                    2) daggers are benefitting from the virtual feats even though I put
                    them on the weapon... is there anyway to restrict the VFEAT?

                    Thanks in advance