Re: [pcgen] [Semi-OT] Feat Idea - "Consistent Spell"

  • Keith Davies
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 27, 2002
      On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 11:48:15PM -0400, Emily Smirle wrote:
      > Timothy J. Lanza wrote:
      >
      > > Figured I'd run this by people... What would you think of a metamagic feat that gave you precisely average damage rolls every time? Would +1 level do?
      >

      > If I were a DM and you tried to take a feat like that I'd say it woudn't
      > increase the spell level; less randomness tends to favor the PCs, but
      > it's such a small change... It's about the same as being able to cast a
      > "cone of fire" at that white dragon, or a "fire storm" instead of an ice
      > storm... and the Metamagic feat Energy Substitution allows you to do
      > just that without increasing the spell level.

      Besides, spells generally do only a small number of dice of damage (in
      which case there is often a bonus of some sort that dwarfs that, or the
      spell doesn't do much damage in the first place), or the spell does a
      large number of dice, in which case the spell almost always does
      'average damage'. I wouldn't have the feat change the level of the
      spell.

      Actually, I saw somewhere (PHB or DMG) an optional rule that allowed a
      player to take 'half die size' hit points on gaining a level (a fighter
      would take 5 hit points, a wizard 2); this is less than average, but
      their logic is that the 'reliability' (no really low hit points, which
      matter more than unusually high hit points) is worth the half point per
      die... which sounds fairly reasonable, as it makes only ten points of
      difference by 20th level.

      Keith
      --
      Keith Davies
      keith.davies@...

      "I'm happy to do the tracker stuff since our Microsoft Poxy Server (that's
      poxy, not proxy) won't let me connect to sourcesafe's CVS..."