2nd Edition Using PCGen?

  • allencohn
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 25, 2002
      Hi everyone,

      I would like to make some radical customizations because my house
      rules for my D&D campaign replace several of features of 3rd Edition
      with 2nd Edition rules. In particular, I am reverting to 2nd
      Edition's sphere approach for priest spell selection. This will
      require some radical changes:

      1. Is it possible to *override* the cleric definition so that no
      domain spells are granted? (I'd rather override than define a new
      character class because then I don't have to modify class skills,
      etc. I read the section on overriding in the documentation, but I'm
      not sure how to make it work in this case.)

      2. Is it possible to override the number of spells granted per level
      for clerics? (To balance out the elimination of domain spells, I'd
      like to increase the number of spells granted at each level.) (Again,
      I read the section on overriding in the documentation, but I'm not
      sure how to make it work in this case.)

      3. Any good ideas on how to implement spells spheres (just like 2nd
      Edition)? Is it possible to add new fields to the spell definitions
      (i.e., the spell's sphere) and then add fields to the deity
      definition that indicate which spheres they grant major and minor
      access to?

      Alternatively, I could make a derived classes for each deity (such
      as "Cleric of Terra"). Each such class would be *based* on the cleric
      class (i.e., inherit all the properties); the only difference would
      be that each overrides the spell list with a customized spell list
      (but how do I do this, i.e., base one class on another with
      everything the same except the overrides?!)

      4. Not all the gods in my campaign grant the "turn undead" ability.
      Is there a way to make a cleric's ability to turn depend on which
      deity he worships? (Perhaps I override the ability in general
      definition of the class and then make it some feature of the deity--
      but how do I do this?)

      And some general questions:

      5. Is there a way to override some attribute of a spell, such as the
      spell's casting time?

      6. Is there a way to turn off the extra "feats" column of PH table 3-
      2? In other words, in my campaign PCs don't get an extra feat at
      levels 1, 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, & 18.

      Thank you in advance for any help you can offer on these six issues.
      (I'm sure they're quite basic to many of you, but I still have great
      difficulty customizing stuff like this.)

      Allen
    • Sussenberger, John
      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 25, 2002
        It sounds like you want to have a cleric just use Domains for his or her
        spells.

        You would need to .MOD the cleric class to change his allotment of spells
        and the number of domain that he gains.

        You then need to remove the domains normally used and replace them with the
        spheres that you want. Basically they are domains but without any special
        powers.

        Let me know if this is a good idea or not :)

        John

        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 25, 2002
          Hi John,

          That's an interesting idea...where do I find the documentation
          for "MOD"? (I'm new to this.)

          Also, I'm not sure it would work because I'm not sure this approach
          could handle major/minor access to spheres. That is to say, just
          because a spell is a member of a particular domain, the particular
          deity may only grant minor access (up through third level) access to
          spells of that domain (i.e., 2nd Edition sphere). Also, some spells
          are members of more than one sphere...can a spell in PCGen be a
          member of more than one domain?

          Allen

          --- In pcgen@y..., "Sussenberger, John" <john.sussenberger@l...>

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Sussenberger, John
          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 25, 2002
            The MOD information is in the documentation (I don't use it at this
            time, so I don't know how it works). Check out customise.htm in the DOC
            folder

            As for Major/Minor, have 2 different domains. Healing (Minor) and
            Healing (Major).

            Also a spell can be a member of different domains (since many spells in
            3rd Edition are).

            Do you have a list of spells with their corresponding spheres? I would
            be interested in looking at them.

            John Sussenberger

            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 25, 2002
              On Tuesday, June 25, 2002, at 12:21 , Sussenberger, John wrote:

              > It sounds like you want to have a cleric just use Domains for his or her
              > spells.

              Except that, IIRC, 2nd edition spheres granted you more than 1 spell per
              level, while that's all Domains give you: 1 known spell per level, per
              domain. That doesn't sound very comparable to me.

              (I do wish they had spheres still)
            • mark_hulsman
              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 25, 2002
                > > It sounds like you want to have a cleric just use Domains for his
                or her
                > > spells.
                > >

                > Except that, IIRC, 2nd edition spheres granted you more than 1
                spell per
                > level, while that's all Domains give you: 1 known spell per level,
                per
                > domain. That doesn't sound very comparable to me.

                The way PC Gen handles domains though is jsut like a class spell
                list, so you can put more than one spell per level. We just never do.
              • john.sussenberger@libertymutual.com
                Message 7 of 23 , Jun 26, 2002
                  The domains are just a collection of spells. The last time I looked (and I
                  could be wrong), the domains where listed in the classspell.lst

                  You could place as many spells in that list as you wish AFAIK :)

                  John Sussenberger

                  On Tuesday, June 25, 2002, at 12:21 , Sussenberger, John wrote:

                  > It sounds like you want to have a cleric just use Domains for his or
                  > her spells.

                  Except that, IIRC, 2nd edition spheres granted you more than 1 spell per
                  level, while that's all Domains give you: 1 known spell per level, per
                  domain. That doesn't sound very comparable to me.

                  (I do wish they had spheres still)
                • Keith Davies
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 26, 2002
                    On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 12:30:11PM -0400, john.sussenberger@... wrote:
                    > The domains are just a collection of spells. The last time I looked (and I
                    > could be wrong), the domains where listed in the classspell.lst
                    >
                    > You could place as many spells in that list as you wish AFAIK :)

                    That's good, because there is a supplement (Relics & Rituals, IIRC) that
                    adds spells to existing domains.

                    Keith
                    --
                    Keith Davies
                    keith.davies@...

                    "I'm happy to do the tracker stuff since our Microsoft Poxy Server (that's
                    poxy, not proxy) won't let me connect to sourcesafe's CVS..."
                  • allencohn
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jun 26, 2002
                      Hi John (and all you folks who have helped...thanks!),

                      First of all my *draft* assignment of spheres to spells can be found
                      in the "3rd Edition Tables" link at the bottom of
                      http://www.cohnzone.com/Personal/games/games.htm. (We're still
                      playtesting it, so it may change.) You might also be interested in
                      the radical changes/simplifications I'm making to 3rd Edition--if so,
                      see the "Clarifications/Simplifications" link slightly above
                      the "Tables" link.

                      Back to the subject at hand, if I understand you correctly there are
                      two leading candidate ways to accomplish spheres: 1) use domains, and
                      2) make a different priest for each god. Because I'm very
                      inexperienced with making PCGen customizations, I'd like to list my
                      understanding of the steps for each approach; I hope you'll point out
                      any obvious errors.

                      I. DOMAINS

                      1) Make a .pcc file that tells the program to load in the other files
                      I am going to create.

                      2) Make a custom domains.lst file. Sadly, I'm up to 30 spheres, so I
                      guess that means that I'll have 60 entries, i.e.,

                      Air (Major)
                      Air (Minor)
                      All (Major)
                      All (Minor)

                      etc.

                      3) Make a custom classspells.lst file to indicate which spells belong
                      to each domain. But how do I indicate that more than one spell
                      belongs to a domain at each level? Just separate by commas? by pipes?

                      4) Make my own deity.lst file and add in my deities. Include a
                      DOMAINS tag...but how do I indicate that the deity only grants Air
                      (Major) when the PC reaches fifth level? (Or do I need to? Perhaps
                      the program knows each spell's level from classspell.lst and only
                      grants access upon reaching the appropriate level even if the PC has
                      domain access to the spell.)

                      5) Make a custom class.lst file.

                      * Do I start it off with "Cleric.MOD"? Is that how I do a
                      modification?

                      * Then do I include lines like,

                      1 CAST:0
                      2 CAST:0

                      etc. to override the old spell per day?

                      * How do I indicate that the number of domain spells cast per day per
                      level?

                      * What do I do with the KNOWNSPELLS tag?

                      * What do I do with the old "BONUS:DOMAIN|NUMBER|2" tag? In my world,
                      different gods grant different numbers of spheres? Do I just replace
                      2 with a large number...but then each god only has so many spheres
                      that one runs out of selections before reaching that number?

                      II. A DIFFERENT PRIEST FOR EACH GOD

                      This approach is a bit more "brittle" than the domain approach, but
                      it sounds a little simpler to me...

                      1) Make a .pcc file that tells the program to load in the other files
                      I am going to create.

                      2) Make my own deity.lst file and add in my deities. (I guess I leave
                      out a DOMAINS tag, 'cause I'm not using them.)

                      3) Make a .lst file for my custom priests.

                      * For each priest copy the cleric from the core .lst file. Make a
                      unique name for each, for example, "Cleric of Terra."

                      * Add a "DEITY:Terra" just to be safe

                      * Within "Cleric of Terra" change the lines like "1 CAST:3,1" to
                      match the number of spells I want priest to cast, for example, "1
                      CAST:3,2" if I want to increase the number of first level
                      spells by one.

                      * KNOWNSPELLS is a conundrum to me...should I list the spells that
                      are available there or should I list the spells by level in an added
                      classspells.lst file?

                      * I guess I remove "BONUS:DOMAIN|NUMBER|2"

                      4) Make a classspells.lst file for my custom priests. For each deity,
                      only include the spells that are in the god's spheres.

                      5) Make a classskill.lst file and include the new priests.

                      Thank you in advance for holding my hand through he process.

                      Allen
                    • Sussenberger, John
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jun 26, 2002
                        Have the gods grant only the domains that you want the members of that
                        clergy to every take.

                        You list the spells by "class" or in this case Domain. Like so:

                        CLASS:Air (Major)
                        0 Dancing Lights|Daze|Detect Magic|Flare|Ghost Sound|Light|Mage
                        Hand|Mending|Open/Close|Prestidigitation|Read Magic|Resistance
                        1 Alarm|Cause Fear|Charm Person|Cure Light Wounds|Detect Secret
                        Doors|Erase|Expeditious Retreat|Feather Fall|Grease|Hypnotism|Identify|Mage
                        Armor|Magic Weapon|Message|Protection from Chaos|Protection from
                        Evil|Protection from Good|Protection from Law|Silent Image|Sleep|Summon
                        Monster I|Unseen Servant|Ventriloquism
                        etc.

                        You also don't need to tell PCGen the number of domain spells per day. That
                        is irrelevant. If the class has the domain the spells are listed on the
                        character's spell list. I think PCGen puts a * on domain spells but there
                        may be a way to turn that off.

                        Question to LST Monkies (can we place BONUS tags in Deities)? I wonder if
                        removing the bonus domains for the class and replacing it with a set amount
                        per deity would be possible in this instance.

                        John Sussenberger

                        Message 11 of 23 , Jun 27, 2002
                          Hi John,

                          Thank you for your detailed response. The details really helped my
                          experimentation process.

                          One problem I can't solve yet is how to make only the spells I
                          selected (i.e., the domain spells) show up on the character sheet. I
                          tried adding "KNOWSPELLS:CLEAR" to my Cleric.MOD entry within my
                          custom class.lst file, but that didn't work. Any ideas?

                          Or should I try using .MOD within my custom classspells.lst file and
                          (somehow) remove (CLEAR?) all the spells currently associated with
                          the cleric class?

                          Many thanks.
                          Allen

                          PS: It would be great if someone would answer John's question about
                          putting BONUS tags within the DEITIES file. For example, I want to
                          take turning/rebuking, etc. out of the general cleric definition and
                          only grant it depending on the deity (only some of my custom deities
                          have influence over the dead).

                          wrote:
                          > Have the gods grant only the domains that you want the members of
                          that
                          > clergy to every take.
                          >
                          > You list the spells by "class" or in this case Domain. Like so:
                          >
                          > CLASS:Air (Major)
                          > 0 Dancing Lights|Daze|Detect Magic|Flare|Ghost Sound|Light|Mage
                          > Hand|Mending|Open/Close|Prestidigitation|Read Magic|Resistance
                          > 1 Alarm|Cause Fear|Charm Person|Cure Light Wounds|Detect Secret
                          > Doors|Erase|Expeditious Retreat|Feather
                          Fall|Grease|Hypnotism|Identify|Mage
                          > Armor|Magic Weapon|Message|Protection from Chaos|Protection from
                          > Evil|Protection from Good|Protection from Law|Silent
                          Image|Sleep|Summon
                          > Monster I|Unseen Servant|Ventriloquism
                          > etc.
                          >
                          > You also don't need to tell PCGen the number of domain spells per
                          day. That
                          > is irrelevant. If the class has the domain the spells are listed
                          on the
                          > character's spell list. I think PCGen puts a * on domain spells
                          but there
                          > may be a way to turn that off.
                          >
                          > Question to LST Monkies (can we place BONUS tags in Deities)? I
                          wonder if
                          > removing the bonus domains for the class and replacing it with a
                          set amount
                          > per deity would be possible in this instance.
                          >
                          > John Sussenberger

                        • merton_monk
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jun 27, 2002
                            --- In pcgen@y..., "allencohn" <allen@c...> wrote:
                            > Hi John,
                            >
                            > Thank you for your detailed response. The details really helped my
                            > experimentation process.
                            >
                            > One problem I can't solve yet is how to make only the spells I
                            > selected (i.e., the domain spells) show up on the character sheet.
                            > tried adding "KNOWSPELLS:CLEAR" to my Cleric.MOD entry within my
                            > custom class.lst file, but that didn't work. Any ideas?
                            >
                            > Or should I try using .MOD within my custom classspells.lst file
                            and
                            > (somehow) remove (CLEAR?) all the spells currently associated with
                            > the cleric class?
                            >
                            > Many thanks.
                            > Allen
                            >
                            > PS: It would be great if someone would answer John's question about
                            > putting BONUS tags within the DEITIES file. For example, I want to
                            > take turning/rebuking, etc. out of the general cleric definition
                            and
                            > only grant it depending on the deity (only some of my custom
                            deities
                            > have influence over the dead).

                            Yes - BONUS: tags work in deity files.

                            -Bryan
                          • Sussenberger, John
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jun 27, 2002
                              SWEET :)

                              John Sussenberger

                              Message 14 of 23 , Jun 27, 2002
                                You have the correct answer. I forgot that the Cleric class will still load
                                its spell list information. You will need to add a .MOD in you spell list
                                to clear the "normal" Clerics spells.

                                I'm pretty psyched that an old dried up LST Monkey can be of some help.

                                Your on your way to being a good LST Monkey too! BTW, that is a complement
                                :)

                                Mynex!!! You may have another soul soon ;)

                                Message 15 of 23 , Jun 27, 2002
                                  Hi John,

                                  Thank you for your kind words.

                                  I'm still a little confused because I wrote about two different
                                  approaches to clearing the spell lists 1) CLEARing KNOWNSPELLS within
                                  my custom class.lst file (this didn't seem to work--at least not by
                                  itself), and 2) CLEARing the spell lists within my custom
                                  classspells.lst file.

                                  I'm guessing you're referring to the latter. If I'm correct, I have
                                  two questions:

                                  1) How do I clear the spell list within my classspells.lst file? Do I
                                  include data like?

                                  CLASS:Cleric.MOD
                                  1
                                  2
                                  3
                                  4
                                  5
                                  6
                                  7
                                  8
                                  9

                                  Should the tag "CLEAR" or ".CLEAR" be anywhere in this entry, perhaps?

                                  CLASS:Cleric.MOD
                                  1 [tab] .CLEAR
                                  2 [tab] .CLEAR
                                  3 [tab] .CLEAR
                                  4 [tab] .CLEAR
                                  5 [tab] .CLEAR
                                  6 [tab] .CLEAR
                                  7 [tab] .CLEAR
                                  8 [tab] .CLEAR
                                  9 [tab] .CLEAR

                                  2) Do I need to do anything about KNOWNSPELLS within my custom
                                  class.lst file? I included a KNOWNSPELLS:CLEAR tag, but maybe I
                                  didn't need to or I shouldn't have... (Frankly I'm a bit fuzzy about
                                  the purpose of this tag when it seems like overlapping functionality
                                  is contained in the classspells.lst file...)

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jun 27, 2002
                                    Adding .CLEAR to each spell level in the your custom CLASSSPELL.LST should
                                    work. Sorry about the confusion, I'm a little busy at work :)

                                    Also you can get rid of the KNOWNSPELLS entry (it is not really affecting
                                    anything AFAIK but you shouldn't need it).

                                    John Sussenberger

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jun 27, 2002
                                      .MOD doesn't work in classspells. The syntax you suggest if it were
                                      possible is quite reasonable...
                                      I think KNOWNSPELLS:.CLEAR is what you are looking for, so in a class
                                      file you'd have
                                      CLASS:Cleric.MOD[tab]KNOWNSPELLS:.CLEAR

                                      -Bryan

                                    • allencohn
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jun 27, 2002
                                        Thanks Bryan...that's exactly what I tried (and "CLASS:Cleric.MOD[tab]
                                        KNOWNSPELLS:.CLEAR" as well because of a comment in the
                                        documentation). It didn't work...any other ideas?

                                        Many thanks,
                                        Allen

                                        > .MOD doesn't work in classspells. The syntax you suggest if it
                                        were
                                        > possible is quite reasonable...
                                        > I think KNOWNSPELLS:.CLEAR is what you are looking for, so in a
                                        class
                                        > file you'd have
                                        > CLASS:Cleric.MOD[tab]KNOWNSPELLS:.CLEAR
                                        >
                                        > -Bryan

                                      • merton_monk
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jun 27, 2002
                                          Hm - I thought that should work. I have to run, but I'll look at it
                                          tomorrow unless someone else figures it out before then.

                                          -Bryan
                                          --- In pcgen@y..., "allencohn" <allen@c...> wrote:
                                          > Thanks Bryan...that's exactly what I tried (and "CLASS:Cleric.MOD
                                          [tab]
                                          > KNOWNSPELLS:.CLEAR" as well because of a comment in the
                                          > documentation). It didn't work...any other ideas?
                                          >
                                          > Many thanks,
                                          > Allen
                                          >
                                          > --- In pcgen@y..., "merton_monk" <merton_monk@y...> wrote:
                                          > > .MOD doesn't work in classspells. The syntax you suggest if it
                                          > were
                                          > > possible is quite reasonable...
                                          > > I think KNOWNSPELLS:.CLEAR is what you are looking for, so in a
                                          > class
                                          > > file you'd have
                                          > > CLASS:Cleric.MOD[tab]KNOWNSPELLS:.CLEAR
                                          > >
                                          > > -Bryan

                                        • Mynex
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jun 27, 2002
                                            There is no such thing as a 'dried up list monkey'... we just re-cycle
                                            you. ;)

                                            And more souls are always good. :D

                                            Mynex

                                            - #1 Evil Assistant to the PCGen Code Monkeys
                                            - List files & Documentation Silverback
                                            - RPG Reviews Editor & Reviewer

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jul 1, 2002
                                              Hi Bryan,

                                              Have you (or anyone) had a chance to explore whether one can clear
                                              KNOWNSPELLS?

                                              Many thanks,
                                              Allen

                                              > Hm - I thought that should work. I have to run, but I'll look at it
                                              > tomorrow unless someone else figures it out before then.
                                              >
                                              > -Bryan
                                              > --- In pcgen@y..., "allencohn" <allen@c...> wrote:
                                              > > Thanks Bryan...that's exactly what I tried (and "CLASS:Cleric.MOD
                                              > [tab]
                                              > > KNOWNSPELLS:.CLEAR" as well because of a comment in the
                                              > > documentation). It didn't work...any other ideas?
                                              > >
                                              > > Many thanks,
                                              > > Allen
                                              > >
                                              > > --- In pcgen@y..., "merton_monk" <merton_monk@y...> wrote:
                                              > > > .MOD doesn't work in classspells. The syntax you suggest if it
                                              > > were
                                              > > > possible is quite reasonable...
                                              > > > I think KNOWNSPELLS:.CLEAR is what you are looking for, so in a
                                              > > class
                                              > > > file you'd have
                                              > > > CLASS:Cleric.MOD[tab]KNOWNSPELLS:.CLEAR
                                              > > >
                                              > > > -Bryan

                                            • merton_monk
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Jul 1, 2002
                                                For some reason the syntax was made backwards... and I think I did
                                                that!

                                                Try KNOWNSPELLS:CLEAR.

                                                I'll change it so both .CLEAR (which is the standard everywhere
                                                else!) and CLEAR. work.

                                                -Bryan

                                                --- In pcgen@y..., "allencohn" <allen@c...> wrote:
                                                > Hi Bryan,
                                                >
                                                > Have you (or anyone) had a chance to explore whether one can clear
                                                > KNOWNSPELLS?
                                                >
                                                > Many thanks,
                                                > Allen
                                                >
                                                > --- In pcgen@y..., "merton_monk" <merton_monk@y...> wrote:
                                                > > Hm - I thought that should work. I have to run, but I'll look at
                                                it
                                                > > tomorrow unless someone else figures it out before then.
                                                > >
                                                > > -Bryan
                                                > > --- In pcgen@y..., "allencohn" <allen@c...> wrote:
                                                > > > Thanks Bryan...that's exactly what I tried
                                                (and "CLASS:Cleric.MOD
                                                > > [tab]
                                                > > > KNOWNSPELLS:.CLEAR" as well because of a comment in the
                                                > > > documentation). It didn't work...any other ideas?
                                                > > >
                                                > > > Many thanks,
                                                > > > Allen

                                                > > > were
                                                > > > class

                                              • allencohn
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Jul 1, 2002
                                                  Thanks *so* much--it works!

                                                  (FYI, the documentation says to use "CLEAR" for KNOWNSPELLS,
                                                  not "CLEAR." That's what confused me.

                                                  Allen