vest of escape - +4 Open Lock

  • kserrano76
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 17, 2002
      I'm trying to figure out how to edit the properties of the Vest of
      Escape so that it will add a +4 to Open Lock, but not stack with a
      +2 for having Masterwork Thieves' Tools. The Vest of Escape adds a
      +4 to Open Lock and does nothing for Disable Device which is why I
      have the MW Thieves' Tools (they give a +2 to Disbale Device and
      Open Lock). However, If I equip both using PC Gen, then the bonuses
      for Open Lock stack, giving me a +6. What properties would I give
      the Vest of Escape when editing the list so that only the +4 would
      apply to Open Lock IF the Vest AND MW Thieves' Tools are equipped?

      Kristian
    • Timothy J. Lanza
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 17, 2002
        At 12:25 AM 6/18/2002, you wrote:
        >I'm trying to figure out how to edit the properties of the Vest of
        >Escape so that it will add a +4 to Open Lock, but not stack with a
        >+2 for having Masterwork Thieves' Tools. The Vest of Escape adds a
        >+4 to Open Lock and does nothing for Disable Device which is why I
        >have the MW Thieves' Tools (they give a +2 to Disbale Device and
        >Open Lock). However, If I equip both using PC Gen, then the bonuses
        >for Open Lock stack, giving me a +6. What properties would I give
        >the Vest of Escape when editing the list so that only the +4 would
        >apply to Open Lock IF the Vest AND MW Thieves' Tools are equipped?

        If both items have the same TYPE= field after the bonus, they won't stack. I think TYPE=Equipment would be the correct one.

        --
        Timothy J. Lanza
      • kserrano76
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 20, 2002
          Currently the Vest of Escape gives a +6 bonus to escape artist. how
          would I add in the +4 to Open Lock?

          It currently looks like this:

          BONUS:SKILL|Escape Artist|6|TYPE=Competence

          Kristian

          > If both items have the same TYPE= field after the bonus, they
          won't stack. I think TYPE=Equipment would be the correct one.

          > --
          > Timothy J. Lanza
          > "When we can't dream any longer, we die." - Emma Goldman
        • micheledn94
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 29, 2002
            --- In pcgen@y..., "kserrano76" <kernel_k@h...> wrote:
            > I'm trying to figure out how to edit the properties of the Vest of
            > Escape so that it will add a +4 to Open Lock, but not stack with a
            > +2 for having Masterwork Thieves' Tools. The Vest of Escape adds a
            > +4 to Open Lock and does nothing for Disable Device which is why I
            > have the MW Thieves' Tools (they give a +2 to Disbale Device and
            > Open Lock). However, If I equip both using PC Gen, then the bonuses
            > for Open Lock stack, giving me a +6. What properties would I give
            > the Vest of Escape when editing the list so that only the +4 would
            > apply to Open Lock IF the Vest AND MW Thieves' Tools are equipped?
            >
            > Kristian

            Excuse me...but why wouldn't you want these to stack? If I remember
            correctly, one gives a comepetence bonus and one gives a circumstance
            bonus, thereby making them stackable.

            Wish I knew how to program...my thief is still waiting for her
            character sheets to get this right. Poor Di'Ora...::sigh::

            ::wink, wink:: How are ya, Brian?
          • gsbingl
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 29, 2002
              Vest of Escape
              "Hidden within secret pockets...are lockpicks that add a +4
              competence bonus that is applied to Open Lock checks."

              Thieves' Tools
              "The kit includes...skeleton keys, long metal picks and pries..."

              Thieves' Tools, Masterwork
              "...+2 circumstance bonus..."

              Although they grant different bonuses, IMO they should not stack as
              they represent the same tools.

              Also, the +4 bonus is conditional on having the tools; they can be
              removed from the Vest. There should be an extra piece of equipment
              representing the tools and, if possible, the Vest should "contain"
              them when purchased.

              Byngl

              --- In pcgen@y..., "micheledn94" <micheledn@a...> wrote:
              > --- In pcgen@y..., "kserrano76" <kernel_k@h...> wrote:
              > > I'm trying to figure out how to edit the properties of the Vest
              of
              > > Escape so that it will add a +4 to Open Lock, but not stack with
              > > +2 for having Masterwork Thieves' Tools. The Vest of Escape adds
              > > +4 to Open Lock and does nothing for Disable Device which is why
              > > have the MW Thieves' Tools (they give a +2 to Disbale Device and
              > > Open Lock). However, If I equip both using PC Gen, then the
              bonuses
              > > for Open Lock stack, giving me a +6. What properties would I give
              > > the Vest of Escape when editing the list so that only the +4
              would
              > > apply to Open Lock IF the Vest AND MW Thieves' Tools are equipped?
              > >
              > > Kristian
              >
              > Excuse me...but why wouldn't you want these to stack? If I
              remember
              > correctly, one gives a comepetence bonus and one gives a
              circumstance
              > bonus, thereby making them stackable.
              >
              > Wish I knew how to program...my thief is still waiting for her
              > character sheets to get this right. Poor Di'Ora...::sigh::
              >
              > ::wink, wink:: How are ya, Brian?
            • koralis_arkhadian
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 30, 2002
                Not neccessarily.

                For example... the lockpicks that are in the vest are considerably
                better than the ones in the thieves tools, and yet the vest doesn't
                have access to the additional pries, skeleton keys, etc that are
                still helpful in picking a lock (if they weren't helpful then they
                wouldn't be in the toolkit at all.)

                If the designers didn't want them to work together they'd have
                assigned them the same bonus type.

                --- In pcgen@y..., "gsbingl" <byngl@h...> wrote:
                > Vest of Escape
                > "Hidden within secret pockets...are lockpicks that add a +4
                > competence bonus that is applied to Open Lock checks."
                >
                > Thieves' Tools
                > "The kit includes...skeleton keys, long metal picks and pries..."
                >
                > Thieves' Tools, Masterwork
                > "...+2 circumstance bonus..."
                >
                > Although they grant different bonuses, IMO they should not stack
                as
                > they represent the same tools.
                >
                > Also, the +4 bonus is conditional on having the tools; they can be
                > removed from the Vest. There should be an extra piece of equipment
                > representing the tools and, if possible, the Vest should "contain"
                > them when purchased.
                >
                > Byngl
              • Timothy J. Lanza
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 1, 2002
                  At 02:18 PM 7/1/2002, you wrote:
                  >The way I see it, you can't use two different lockpicks at the same
                  >time. It's like trying to hammer a nail with two different hammers at
                  >the same time. This is why I think they don't stack.

                  The vest includes just lock picks. The tool kit includes a number of other implements. While you can open a lock with just picks, there are a variety of other tools that can help. The bonuses stack because of the other tools, not the actual picks.

                  --
                  Timothy J. Lanza
                • kserrano76
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 1, 2002
                    The way I see it, you can't use two different lockpicks at the same
                    time. It's like trying to hammer a nail with two different hammers at
                    the same time. This is why I think they don't stack.

                    Back to the original question, what would I type to set the
                    properties of the Vest of Escape to give a +4 to open lock and not
                    stack with MW tools?

                    Kristian

                    --- In pcgen@y..., "micheledn94" <micheledn@a...> wrote:

                    > Excuse me...but why wouldn't you want these to stack? If I
                    remember
                    > correctly, one gives a comepetence bonus and one gives a
                    circumstance
                    > bonus, thereby making them stackable.
                    >
                    > Wish I knew how to program...my thief is still waiting for her
                    > character sheets to get this right. Poor Di'Ora...::sigh::
                    >
                    > ::wink, wink:: How are ya, Brian?
                  • Don Mac Phee
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 1, 2002
                      I've got a small wrench set that I cart around in my Jeep (came for free
                      with a camera), and contains the barest of essentials.

                      Because there have been times where THAT set hasn't been wholly sufficient,
                      I carry a spare lock box full of odds and ends tools (Vise Grips, Air
                      inflator, bleed kit, etc.)

                      Neither set will cover all jobs, but there have been times that I've pulled
                      tools from one, the other or both to get the job done.

                      I would consider this example to parallel very well with lockpicks. In the
                      reading that I've done on the subject, for common locks, one could get by
                      with a half a dozen picks and a couple of pries, but that wouldn't cover
                      EVERYTHING, and you would possibly need an "expansion set" to cover some of
                      the newer locks, or traps.

                      It's your world, but I think your mistaken.

                      -Don

                      > The way I see it, you can't use two different lockpicks at the same
                      > time. It's like trying to hammer a nail with two different hammers at
                      > the same time. This is why I think they don't stack.
                      >
                      > Back to the original question, what would I type to set the
                      > properties of the Vest of Escape to give a +4 to open lock and not
                      > stack with MW tools?
                      >
                      > Kristian
                      >
                      > --- In pcgen@y..., "micheledn94" <micheledn@a...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Excuse me...but why wouldn't you want these to stack? If I
                      > remember
                      > > correctly, one gives a comepetence bonus and one gives a
                      > circumstance
                      > > bonus, thereby making them stackable.
                      > >
                      > > Wish I knew how to program...my thief is still waiting for her
                      > > character sheets to get this right. Poor Di'Ora...::sigh::
                      > >
                      > > ::wink, wink:: How are ya, Brian?

                    • Don Mac Phee
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 1, 2002
                        Oh... and my favorite line of all time.

                        "It's a resolution system, not a simulation." -John Vivari
                      • StromMcLeod
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 1, 2002
                          --- In pcgen@y..., "kserrano76" <kernel_k@h...> wrote:
                          > The way I see it, you can't use two different lockpicks at the same
                          > time. It's like trying to hammer a nail with two different hammers at
                          > the same time. This is why I think they don't stack.

                          but, using your tool analogy:
                          the vest comes with:
                          a really really cool alan wrench

                          the masterwork thieves toolkit comes with:
                          a regular alan wrench
                          adamantine hammer
                          mithral chisel
                          power drill with set of 12 drill bits of different sizes
                          etc.

                          So, the two stack... maybe.
                        • cyberfunkr
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 1, 2002
                            Just for reference:

                            http://www.howstuffworks.com/lock-picking.htm

                            Fueling the fire
                            /Cyberfunkr

                            --- In pcgen@y..., "Don Mac Phee" <macphee@c...> wrote:
                            > I've got a small wrench set that I cart around in my Jeep (came for
                            free
                            > with a camera), and contains the barest of essentials.
                            >
                            > Because there have been times where THAT set hasn't been wholly
                            sufficient,
                            > I carry a spare lock box full of odds and ends tools (Vise Grips,
                            Air
                            > inflator, bleed kit, etc.)
                            >
                            > Neither set will cover all jobs, but there have been times that I've
                            pulled
                            > tools from one, the other or both to get the job done.
                            >
                            > I would consider this example to parallel very well with lockpicks.
                            In the
                            > reading that I've done on the subject, for common locks, one could
                            get by
                            > with a half a dozen picks and a couple of pries, but that wouldn't
                            cover
                            > EVERYTHING, and you would possibly need an "expansion set" to cover
                            some of
                            > the newer locks, or traps.
                            >
                            > It's your world, but I think your mistaken.
                            >
                            > -Don

                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                          • kserrano76
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 3, 2002
                              Beleive me if i can allow these tools to stack, I'd be even happier.
                              I've spoken to the DM and he doesn't think they should.

                              I understand tha analaogy of using different tools from different
                              kits. However, looking at it from the persepctive of bonuses, I
                              think that it would be hard to allow bonuses to stack if I'm using
                              parts of one kit and parts of another. The argument against stacking
                              is that the bonus comes from using the whole set, not peices from
                              the set.

                              Anyway, my reason for posting this is not to debate whether they
                              should stack but to find out how to customize the lst file so that
                              they do not stack. However I still need the +2 from the MW tools for
                              disable device as the vest of escape only applies to open lock.

                              Kristian

                            • Emily Smirle
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 4, 2002
                                kserrano76 wrote:

                                > Anyway, my reason for posting this is not to debate whether they
                                > should stack but to find out how to customize the lst file so that
                                > they do not stack. However I still need the +2 from the MW tools for
                                > disable device as the vest of escape only applies to open lock.

                                Quick answer, change the type of the two sets of boni to be the same (ie
                                Circumstance, or whatever).
                                --
                                "Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total
                                oblivion. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 4, 2002
                                  Um.. but NOT Circumstance... that stacks (is in the stacks.lst or whatever
                                  the name of it is in /system)

                                  Tir Gwaith
                                  LST Chimp
                                  Strange Monkey
                                  MM Race Dragon

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 4, 2002
                                    Something other than Circumstance as it is in bonusstacks.lst

                                    Byngl

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jul 4, 2002
                                      Thank you all for your help. I will try this tomorrow before my game
                                      and let you know how it works.

                                      Kristian

                                      PS - This was a rather interesting discussion on whether the two
                                      should stack or not. I think I will post this on the boards at
                                      wizards to see what they have to say.

                                      --- In pcgen@y..., "gsbingl" <byngl@h...> wrote:
                                      > Something other than Circumstance as it is in bonusstacks.lst
                                      >
                                      > Byngl
                                      >
                                      > --- In pcgen@y..., Emily Smirle <smirle4498@r...> wrote:
                                      > > kserrano76 wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > > Anyway, my reason for posting this is not to debate whether
                                      they
                                      > > > should stack but to find out how to customize the lst file so
                                      > that
                                      > > > they do not stack. However I still need the +2 from the MW
                                      tools
                                      > for
                                      > > > disable device as the vest of escape only applies to open lock.
                                      > > >

                                      > > Quick answer, change the type of the two sets of boni to be the
                                      > same (ie
                                      > > Circumstance, or whatever).
                                      > > --
                                    • kserrano76
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jul 6, 2002
                                        For reference, on P. 114 of the PHB under Tools, Masterwork, it
                                        states that Bonuses provided by multiple masterwork items used
                                        toward the same skill do not stack. All magic items are considered
                                        MW.

                                        I'm still working on modifying the vest of escape so the bonuses
                                        don't stack with MW tools. I was able to apply the circumstance
                                        adjustment to Vest of Escape to remove the -2 penalty for not using
                                        tools. Also, I think the MW Tools are somehow overriding the Vest of
                                        Escape in the Open Lock skill Bonus.