Help!!!!!!

  • jhusle
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 1, 2002
      Trty to creat a new class for D&D, but having problems. To start I
      copied an existing class, pasted it at bottom of the .lst, changed
      the name, and other items. To see if it even showed in PCgen I
      started the program up, but nothing there. Plus none of the core
      classes are there either. What am I doing wrong?

      Jeff
    • Eric Beaudoin
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 1, 2002
        At 21:16 2002.06.01, jhusle wrote:
        >Trty to creat a new class for D&D, but having problems. To start I
        >copied an existing class, pasted it at bottom of the .lst, changed
        >the name, and other items. To see if it even showed in PCgen I
        >started the program up, but nothing there. Plus none of the core
        >classes are there either. What am I doing wrong?

        Did you by any chance rename the file? The .PCC file in the same directory where your file his must have an entry that looks like

        CLASS:filename.lst

        for the file to load in PCGEN.

        Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin
        >> In space, no one can hear you sleep...
        <mailto:beaudoer@...>
      • jhusle
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 1, 2002
          Loking for file right now, what is the best program to use to edit
          the files in PCGen?

          --- In pcgen@y..., Eric Beaudoin <beaudoer@v...> wrote:
          > At 21:16 2002.06.01, jhusle wrote:
          > >Trty to creat a new class for D&D, but having problems. To start I
          > >copied an existing class, pasted it at bottom of the .lst, changed
          > >the name, and other items. To see if it even showed in PCgen I
          > >started the program up, but nothing there. Plus none of the core
          > >classes are there either. What am I doing wrong?
          >
          > Did you by any chance rename the file? The .PCC file in the same
          directory where your file his must have an entry that looks like

          > CLASS:filename.lst
          >
          > for the file to load in PCGEN.
          >
          > If it is not the case, please upload your files into
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pcgen/files/%27Need%20Help%20With%27%
          20Files/> and post again. It will be a lot easier to help you if we
          can look at the files.

          > Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin
          > >> In space, no one can hear you sleep...
          > <mailto:beaudoer@v...>
        • Tir Gwaith
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 1, 2002
            I use wordpad for windows, mostly. I've defined .pcc and .lst as text file
            types associated with wordpad. Makes life simple.

            Tir Gwaith
            LST Chimp
            MM Race Dragon
            Loking for file right now, what is the best program to use to edit
            the files in PCGen?

            --- In pcgen@y..., Eric Beaudoin <beaudoer@v...> wrote:
            > At 21:16 2002.06.01, jhusle wrote:
            > >Trty to creat a new class for D&D, but having problems. To start I
            > >copied an existing class, pasted it at bottom of the .lst, changed
            > >the name, and other items. To see if it even showed in PCgen I
            > >started the program up, but nothing there. Plus none of the core
            > >classes are there either. What am I doing wrong?
            >
            > Did you by any chance rename the file? The .PCC file in the same
            directory where your file his must have an entry that looks like

            > CLASS:filename.lst
            >
            > for the file to load in PCGEN.
            >
            > If it is not the case, please upload your files into
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pcgen/files/%27Need%20Help%20With%27%
            20Files/> and post again. It will be a lot easier to help you if we
            can look at the files.

            > Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin
            > >> In space, no one can hear you sleep...
            > <mailto:beaudoer@v...>

          • jhusle
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 1, 2002
              That is what I use also, not sure why it did not work. File I was
              working on should be in Need Help Folder soon.

              Jeff

              --- In pcgen@y..., "Tir Gwaith" <thoron-tir-gwaith@l...> wrote:
              > I use wordpad for windows, mostly. I've defined .pcc and .lst as
              text file
              > types associated with wordpad. Makes life simple.
              >
              > Tir Gwaith
              > LST Chimp
              > MM Race Dragon

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            • Tir Gwaith
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 1, 2002
                Looked at your file.

                Remove the SA: line that is started with a bunch of tabs and you should be
                good to go.

                "SA:no longer winded after rage" - second line after SOURCE...

                Tir Gwaith
                LST Chimp
                MM Race Dragon

                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 1, 2002
                  Kinda new at this, not realy sure which line you are talking about.
                  Dont see anything for the Jedi Class I start for SA:no longer
                  winded...

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 1, 2002
                    Going off list.

                    Tir Gwaith
                    LST Chimp
                    MM Race Dragon
                    Kinda new at this, not realy sure which line you are talking about.
                    Dont see anything for the Jedi Class I start for SA:no longer
                    winded...

                    Jeff

                    --- In pcgen@y..., "Tir Gwaith" <thoron-tir-gwaith@l...> wrote:
                    > Looked at your file.
                    >
                    > Remove the SA: line that is started with a bunch of tabs and you
                    should be
                    > good to go.
                    >
                    > "SA:no longer winded after rage" - second line after SOURCE...
                    >
                    > Tir Gwaith
                    > LST Chimp
                    > MM Race Dragon

                  • Mynex
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 1, 2002
                      Usually when this occurs (nothing showing up) you have a space/tab
                      issue.. what this means is, somewhere in one of the lines, you have a
                      space instead of a tab between the fields... go through line by line and
                      make sure you have NO spaces where there shouldn't be any...

                      Mynex

                      - #1 Evil Assistant to the PCGen Code Monkeys
                      - PCGen List File & Documentation Silverback
                      - RPG Reviews Editor & Reviewer

                      Trty to creat a new class for D&D, but having problems. To start I
                      copied an existing class, pasted it at bottom of the .lst, changed
                      the name, and other items. To see if it even showed in PCgen I
                      started the program up, but nothing there. Plus none of the core
                      classes are there either. What am I doing wrong?

                      Jeff

                      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 1, 2002
                        So when editing the .lst files, dont use spaces, use tabs? If this
                        is true, then best fr me to just start over. Think I have lots of
                        space in there.

                        Jeff

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 1, 2002
                          Correct, you want to avoid ANY spaces between fields... so if you had;

                          Human[space]0[space]0[space]0[space]0[space]
                          It would choke and die.. the correct way is;
                          Human[tab]0[tab]0[tab]0[tab]0[tab]

                          (replacing the word space/tab with the actual space key/tab key entry)

                          Space/Tab issues are the #1 offender in list files for home brew
                          stuff... we don't have those problems (too often) anymore due to Eric
                          B's script file that checks for those and removes them... eventually his
                          script (we're hoping) will be available to the PCGen community or
                          converted/incorporated into PCGen itself, to make home brew campaigns
                          safer. ;p

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 2, 2002
                            Yeah, just looked at your file again.... Wow, lots of spaces. Tabs are the
                            major deliminator we use... followed by | and ,

                            Tir Gwaith
                            LST Chimp
                            MM Race Dragon
                            > So when editing the .lst files, dont use spaces, use tabs? If this
                            > is true, then best fr me to just start over. Think I have lots of
                            > space in there.
                            >
                            > Jeff
                            >
                            > --- In pcgen@y..., Mynex <mynex3@c...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Usually when this occurs (nothing showing up) you have a space/tab
                            > > issue.. what this means is, somewhere in one of the lines, you have
                            > > space instead of a tab between the fields... go through line by
                            > line and
                            > > make sure you have NO spaces where there shouldn't be any...
                            > >
                            > > Mynex
                            > >
                            > > - #1 Evil Assistant to the PCGen Code Monkeys
                            > > - PCGen List File & Documentation Silverback
                            > > - RPG Reviews Editor & Reviewer

                          • merton_monk
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 2, 2002
                              Oh - in my housecleaning checkin last night I made all the files trim
                              white-space, so space-tabs shouldn't be a problem with the next
                              release ,except in classskill/classspell files which aren't tied
                              directly to a single data-type.

                              -Bryan

                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 2, 2002
                                Um... Craft[space] [tab] is different from Craft[tab] Is that going to be
                                an issue... There was one class from a supplement that had only the
                                subskills... Maybe we should go with % on this one to correct it?

                                And that won't solve his problem completely - he was using multiple spaces
                                between fields, not tabs, so there would not have been a separation of the
                                data fields.

                                Tir Gwaith
                                LST Chimp
                                MM Race Dragon