[BUG] Skill rank maxima counting Monster HD twice

  • Emily Smirle
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2002
      Repeatability: good.

      Example:
      Load PHB, DMG, MM.
      Choose race: minotaur, Align: CE, Class: Barbarian (one level).
      Give yourself 20 skill points for the purpose of demonstration.
      Maximum skill points you should be able to allocate is 11 (6 HD +1 Level
      + 4).
      Right click on Intimidation or some other class skill and choose "Max
      Ranks".
      Observe as you end up with 16 ranks in Intimidation.

      The GUI is showing the correct maximum class ranks, but the "behind the
      scenes" code is obviously not. I suspect it's counting monster HD twice.
      --
      "Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total
      oblivion. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2002
        Possibly...
        Nitpic:
        6HD+1LVL + 3 = 10 max...

        BONUS:SKILLRANK is in the File for Default On creation auto addition of
        skillranks.... That perhaps needs to be MBONUS:SKILLRANK (get applied only
        with Default On, Like MFEAT...

        Those could be your phantom ranks... Haven't tested.

        Tir Gwaith
        LST Chimp
        MM Race Dragon

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2002
          Tir Gwaith wrote:

          > Possibly...
          > Nitpic:
          > 6HD+1LVL + 3 = 10 max...

          Woopsie, brain fart.

          > BONUS:SKILLRANK is in the File for Default On creation auto addition of
          > skillranks.... That perhaps needs to be MBONUS:SKILLRANK (get applied only
          > with Default On, Like MFEAT...
          >
          > Those could be your phantom ranks... Haven't tested.

          There is no such thing as MBONUS. However, removing those bonuses does
          not help, and none of those bonuses are to the tune of 6. Bonus ranks
          are also normally controlled quite adequately by maximum ranks.

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 1, 2002
            Emily Smirle wrote:

            > There is no such thing as MBONUS. However, removing those bonuses does
            > not help, and none of those bonuses are to the tune of 6. Bonus ranks
            > are also normally controlled quite adequately by maximum ranks.

            Correction, only Intimidation has six ranks in it. The bug is still
            visible with any other class skill you choose. Cross class skills
            exhibit similar bugs, value relevant being 8, not 16.
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 1, 2002
              Tir Gwaith wrote:

              > I know MBONUS doesn't exist - was throwing out an idea for improvement...
              > Ok, so that wasn't the issue.. :)

              *looks puzzled* but that isn't the issue. The SKILLRANKS tag is what was
              introduced for monster characters. Adding MBONUS:SKILLRANKS would be
              redundant.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 1, 2002

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 1, 2002
                  That would be nice... Except you can give it from classes, and prob. every
                  file type...

                  And we need it from classes def: Dragons (Default off only) get certain
                  SKILLRANKS at 1/HD.

                  Unless we can refer to HD in formula (outstanding FReq)... But then the
                  dragons would still need access to it in Default off mode.

                  Tir Gwaith
                  LST Chimp
                  MM Race Dragon

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 1, 2002
                    Tir Gwaith wrote:

                    > That would be nice... Except you can give it from classes, and prob. every
                    > file type...
                    >
                    > And we need it from classes def: Dragons (Default off only) get certain
                    > SKILLRANKS at 1/HD.
                    >
                    > Unless we can refer to HD in formula (outstanding FReq)... But then the
                    > dragons would still need access to it in Default off mode.

                    Ziss... ziss is tru.

                    Dragon SKILLRANKS notwithstanding, I've found the problem code and fixed
                    it in CVS. relic code from before the DefaultMonster on/off choice was
                    causing issues. Same with the GUI reporting side; I never use
                    DefaultMonster, so I didn't notice. All has been fixed.

                    Feel free to toast my potatoes if you find new bugs.