Re: [pcgen] getting rid of the dos window

  • Timothy J. Lanza
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2002
      At 12:01 PM 6/1/2002, you wrote:
      > > one thing that annoys me about java apps in windows is the need to
      > > start them from the command prompt. because there is no way to throw
      > > a process into the back ground, starting an app in java will no
      > > relenquish the command line. this means that if you accidentally
      > > close the shell you started java from, your java app will also shut
      > > down.
      > >
      > > here is a modified batch file to fire off PCgen in it's own process
      > > and close that annoying dos shell:
      > >
      > > start javaw -jar pcgen.jar
      > > exit
      > >
      > > i have tested it on windows 2000 with jre 1.4 please let me know if
      > > it doesn't work with 9x or ME.
      >

      >On my 2000 setup I can't use javaw to run PCGEN as it crashes to high
      >heaven. This is using Java 1.4.0.

      In Win2000, with Java 1.4.0 I have a desktop shortcut with the following
      properties on the "Shortcut" tab.

      Target: D:\PCGen\pcgen.jar
      Start In: D:\PCGen

      The rest of it is just left to default.

      On the "General" tab, you should see:

      Opens with: [] javaw

      ([] being the little icon.)

      If it doesn't say that, then your file type definition for .jar is screwed
      up. You can either go fix the file type definition, which I'm not gonna
      explain, or you can change it for just the one shortcut by hitting the
      "Change" button. On the window that pops up, hit "Browse" and go looking
      for wherever you installed javaw.exe

      Works just fine.

      --
      Timothy J. Lanza
    • Emily Smirle
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2002
        Timothy J. Lanza wrote:

        > Works just fine.

        On your computer, yes. Thank you, but I've already gone through file
        assosiations and I also ran it from the command line out of frustration.
        with javaw all I get is a brief flash of the splash screen when it
        doesn't work. Some days it gets further than that, but it uses old-style
        dialog boxes and merrily generates exceptions hither, thither, and yon.
        --
        "Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total
        oblivion. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2002
          wow, in the old days (like a year ago) jar files were ususally
          associted with compression utilities like winzip, so you couldn't
          just double click them to start them up. which is why i had to write
          scripts to start things off.

          i have been plesantly surprised with all of the little changes that
          the JRE has made since 1.1.2, like automatically adding itself to the
          system path (and not tinkering with the autoexec.bat anymore).