Re: [pcgen] getting rid of the dos window

  • Emily Smirle
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2002
      chris__anderson wrote:

      > one thing that annoys me about java apps in windows is the need to
      > start them from the command prompt. because there is no way to throw
      > a process into the back ground, starting an app in java will no
      > relenquish the command line. this means that if you accidentally
      > close the shell you started java from, your java app will also shut
      > down.
      >
      > here is a modified batch file to fire off PCgen in it's own process
      > and close that annoying dos shell:
      >
      > start javaw -jar pcgen.jar
      > exit
      >
      > i have tested it on windows 2000 with jre 1.4 please let me know if
      > it doesn't work with 9x or ME.

      On my 2000 setup I can't use javaw to run PCGEN as it crashes to high
      heaven. This is using Java 1.4.0.

      --
      "Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total
      oblivion. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2002
        At 12:01 PM 6/1/2002, you wrote:
        > > one thing that annoys me about java apps in windows is the need to
        > > start them from the command prompt. because there is no way to throw
        > > a process into the back ground, starting an app in java will no
        > > relenquish the command line. this means that if you accidentally
        > > close the shell you started java from, your java app will also shut
        > > down.
        > >
        > > here is a modified batch file to fire off PCgen in it's own process
        > > and close that annoying dos shell:
        > >
        > > start javaw -jar pcgen.jar
        > > exit
        > >
        > > i have tested it on windows 2000 with jre 1.4 please let me know if
        > > it doesn't work with 9x or ME.
        >

        >On my 2000 setup I can't use javaw to run PCGEN as it crashes to high
        >heaven. This is using Java 1.4.0.

        In Win2000, with Java 1.4.0 I have a desktop shortcut with the following
        properties on the "Shortcut" tab.

        Target: D:\PCGen\pcgen.jar
        Start In: D:\PCGen

        The rest of it is just left to default.

        On the "General" tab, you should see:

        Opens with: [] javaw

        ([] being the little icon.)

        If it doesn't say that, then your file type definition for .jar is screwed
        up. You can either go fix the file type definition, which I'm not gonna
        explain, or you can change it for just the one shortcut by hitting the
        "Change" button. On the window that pops up, hit "Browse" and go looking
        for wherever you installed javaw.exe

        Works just fine.

        --
        Timothy J. Lanza
      • Emily Smirle
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2002
          Timothy J. Lanza wrote:

          > Works just fine.

          On your computer, yes. Thank you, but I've already gone through file
          assosiations and I also ran it from the command line out of frustration.
          with javaw all I get is a brief flash of the splash screen when it
          doesn't work. Some days it gets further than that, but it uses old-style
          dialog boxes and merrily generates exceptions hither, thither, and yon.
          --
          "Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total
          oblivion. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and
          through me. And when it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to
          see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing.
          Only I will remain." - www.goats.com
        • chris__anderson
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1, 2002
            wow, in the old days (like a year ago) jar files were ususally
            associted with compression utilities like winzip, so you couldn't
            just double click them to start them up. which is why i had to write
            scripts to start things off.

            i have been plesantly surprised with all of the little changes that
            the JRE has made since 1.1.2, like automatically adding itself to the
            system path (and not tinkering with the autoexec.bat anymore).