Did BONUS:Vision ever get fixed?

  • bd_92
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2002
      > (Line 49): Invalid BONUS:VISION tag "BONUS:VISION|Darkvision
      (60')" found in FEAT.

      I remember seenig a flurry of posts on this but no results on it..
    • Eric Beaudoin
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2002
        At 10:06 2002.06.01, bd_92 wrote:
        >> (Line 49): Invalid BONUS:VISION tag "BONUS:VISION|Darkvision
        >(60')" found in FEAT.
        >>

        >I remember seenig a flurry of posts on this but no results on it..

        BONUS:VISION is not the right way to go. The BONUS tags are used only for adding numerical bonus. We have to make the VISION tag works where the BONUS:VISION is wanted.

        Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin
        >> In space, no one can hear you sleep...
        <mailto:beaudoer@...>
      • Eric Beaudoin
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2002
          At 10:05 2002.06.01, bd_92 wrote:
          tag "BONUS:NEGLEVEL=.IF.AL.EQ.0.OR.AL.EQ.3.OR.AL.6.THEN.1.ELSE.0"
          found in EQUIPMENT.

          This puppy is everywhere on the list of broken tags. I have already
          put out a FREQ for it but haven't heard of any work being done on it.
          Someone get this done please as it is also affecting the CORE books
          as well.

          I did had time to mode your FREQ to PCGEN. We still have to explain the official effect of a EQUIPMENT with a negative level has on a PC abilities. From the PHB (text also found in <http://www.wizards.com/dnd/dnd_ph_glossary_print.asp>:

          negative level: A loss of vital energy resulting from energy drain, spells, magic items, or magical effects. For each negative level gained, a creature suffers a –1 penalty to all skill checks, ability checks, attack rolls, and saving throws, plus a –1 effective level penalty. (That is, whenever the creature’s level is used in a die roll or calculation, reduce its value by one for each negative level.) In addition to these penalties, a spellcaster so affected loses access to one spell per negative level from the highest spell level castable. If two or more spells fit this criterion, the caster decides which one becomes inaccessible. The lost spell becomes available again as soon as the negative level is removed, providing the caster would be capable of using it at that time. Negative levels remain in place for 24 hours after acquisition, or until removed with a spell such as restoration. After that period, the negative level goes away, but the afflicted creature must attempt a Fortitude save (DC=10+1/2 the attacker’s Hit Dice+the attacker’s Charisma modifier) to determine whether there is a lasting effect. If the saving throw succeeds, there is no harm to the character. Otherwise, the creature’s character level drops by one and any benefits acquired with that level are lost. The afflicted creature must make a separate saving throw for each negative level possessed.

          Also, and of more importance, we have the think over the syntax on this puppy. What is found in the .lst files is very ugly. I think we should go with something more like:

                   BONUS:NEGLEVEL|1|!PREALIGN:2,5,8
                   Give 1 negative level to PC not LE, CE or NE.

          This might not even be the correct way to go. It might be to related to the DND rules. Maybe a negative level in other D20 product will not follow these rules. So it might be better if we use a bunch of other tags to implement the effects with TYPE=NegativeLevel.REPLACE.

          There is a bit of thinking still needed to be done here.

          Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin
          >> In space, no one can hear you sleep...
          <mailto:beaudoer@...>

        • Bob Galley
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 1, 2002
            This particular instance is in a feat: Can we call a template.lst from within a feat.lst?

            As an aside, is it possible to create a central visiontemplate.lst? I don't have customise.lst with me, so this example is in pseudocode: (if I remember right, 0 is remove, 1 is add, 2 is replace in the VISION tag.

            SOURCE:visiontemplate.lst

            TEMPLATE:lowlight-short
                VISION:Lowlight (30'),1

            TEMPLATE:lowlight-med
                PRETEMPLATE:lowlight-short
                VISION:Lowlight (60'),2
            TEMPLATE:lowlight-long
                PRETEMPLATE:lowlight-med
                VISION:Lowlight (90'),2

            TEMPLATE:darkvision-short
                VISION:Darkvision (30'),1

            ...and so on, for all the vision types.  Thus, rather than writing this out in a dozen or more different locations, everything can just call the central vision template file in their .pcc. That is, if a .pcc can call files in a directory other than its own?

            BoB
            >>   (Line 49): Invalid BONUS:VISION tag "BONUS:VISION|Darkvision
            >(60')" found in FEAT.
            >>

            >I remember seenig a flurry of posts on this but no results on it..

            BONUS:VISION is not the right way to go. The BONUS tags are used only for adding numerical bonus. We have to make the VISION tag works where the BONUS:VISION is wanted.

            Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin
            >> In space, no one can hear you sleep...
            <mailto:beaudoer@...>

          • Tir Gwaith
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 1, 2002
              First of all it would be VISION:2,Low-light (XX')  not VISION:Low-light (XX'),2

              Yes, PCCs can call files in other directories.  See the monstersoffaerun.pcc for a good example.  You start with @\ which refers to the data folder...  so
              @\wotc\sourcebooks\dungeonsanddragons\core\playershandbook\playershbXXX.lst

              I have a hard time with Low-light having distance... It's 2x the light source...  Keen_Low-light is 4x the distance of the light source (Dragons have it).

              Don't think Feat.lst can call templates..  That would be a good FReq.

              Tir Gwaith
              LST Chimp
              MM Race Dragon

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 1, 2002