Re: [pcgen] getting rid of the dos window

  • Rob Bowell
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2002
      On Sat, 1 Jun 2002, chris__anderson wrote:

      > one thing that annoys me about java apps in windows is the need to
      > start them from the command prompt.

      I just run the .jar file directly instead of the .bat and I never have to
      worry about this.

      -----------
      Rob Bowell
    • Thomas Morris
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2002
        Go to ZDNet and download Send2Tray or a similar program. It'll put excess
        screens down in the system tray by the clock.

        Have fun,
        Tom
        thomas.e.morris@...

        Can't sleep, clowns will eat me.
      • Emily Smirle
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2002
          chris__anderson wrote:

          > one thing that annoys me about java apps in windows is the need to
          > start them from the command prompt. because there is no way to throw
          > a process into the back ground, starting an app in java will no
          > relenquish the command line. this means that if you accidentally
          > close the shell you started java from, your java app will also shut
          > down.
          >
          > here is a modified batch file to fire off PCgen in it's own process
          > and close that annoying dos shell:
          >
          > start javaw -jar pcgen.jar
          > exit
          >
          > i have tested it on windows 2000 with jre 1.4 please let me know if
          > it doesn't work with 9x or ME.

          On my 2000 setup I can't use javaw to run PCGEN as it crashes to high
          heaven. This is using Java 1.4.0.

          --
          "Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total
          oblivion. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1, 2002
            At 12:01 PM 6/1/2002, you wrote:
            > > one thing that annoys me about java apps in windows is the need to
            > > start them from the command prompt. because there is no way to throw
            > > a process into the back ground, starting an app in java will no
            > > relenquish the command line. this means that if you accidentally
            > > close the shell you started java from, your java app will also shut
            > > down.
            > >
            > > here is a modified batch file to fire off PCgen in it's own process
            > > and close that annoying dos shell:
            > >
            > > start javaw -jar pcgen.jar
            > > exit
            > >
            > > i have tested it on windows 2000 with jre 1.4 please let me know if
            > > it doesn't work with 9x or ME.
            >

            >On my 2000 setup I can't use javaw to run PCGEN as it crashes to high
            >heaven. This is using Java 1.4.0.

            In Win2000, with Java 1.4.0 I have a desktop shortcut with the following
            properties on the "Shortcut" tab.

            Target: D:\PCGen\pcgen.jar
            Start In: D:\PCGen

            The rest of it is just left to default.

            On the "General" tab, you should see:

            Opens with: [] javaw

            ([] being the little icon.)

            If it doesn't say that, then your file type definition for .jar is screwed
            up. You can either go fix the file type definition, which I'm not gonna
            explain, or you can change it for just the one shortcut by hitting the
            "Change" button. On the window that pops up, hit "Browse" and go looking
            for wherever you installed javaw.exe

            Works just fine.

            --
            Timothy J. Lanza
          • Emily Smirle
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 1, 2002
              Timothy J. Lanza wrote:

              > Works just fine.

              On your computer, yes. Thank you, but I've already gone through file
              assosiations and I also ran it from the command line out of frustration.
              with javaw all I get is a brief flash of the splash screen when it
              doesn't work. Some days it gets further than that, but it uses old-style
              dialog boxes and merrily generates exceptions hither, thither, and yon.
              --
              "Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total
              oblivion. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and
              through me. And when it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to
              see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing.
              Only I will remain." - www.goats.com
            • chris__anderson
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 1, 2002
                wow, in the old days (like a year ago) jar files were ususally
                associted with compression utilities like winzip, so you couldn't
                just double click them to start them up. which is why i had to write
                scripts to start things off.

                i have been plesantly surprised with all of the little changes that
                the JRE has made since 1.1.2, like automatically adding itself to the
                system path (and not tinkering with the autoexec.bat anymore).