Re: [pcgen] getting rid of the dos window

  • Roman Paravicini
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1 5:10 AM
      tested on WinXP too ...
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Daniel Hahn" <dhahn@...>
      To: <pcgen@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, June 01, 2002 1:42 PM
      Subject: Re: [pcgen] getting rid of the dos window

      > MaxSilverwood@... wrote:
      >
      > >Have you tried running the pcgen.jar file? I run that file and I don't
      get a
      > >dos screen. I'm running Win98 SE with Jre 1.3, I think it should work on
      > >Win2000
      > >

      > It does ;-)
      >
      > --
      > Daniel Hahn (dhahn@...) http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~unp2
      > PGP key on request. Protect your privacy on the net!
      >
      > "Chaos always wins, because it is better organized"
      > - T. Pratchett

    • Rob Bowell
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1 6:48 AM
        On Sat, 1 Jun 2002, chris__anderson wrote:

        > one thing that annoys me about java apps in windows is the need to
        > start them from the command prompt.

        I just run the .jar file directly instead of the .bat and I never have to
        worry about this.

        -----------
        Rob Bowell
      • Thomas Morris
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1 8:51 AM
          Go to ZDNet and download Send2Tray or a similar program. It'll put excess
          screens down in the system tray by the clock.

          Have fun,
          Tom
          thomas.e.morris@...

          Can't sleep, clowns will eat me.
        • Emily Smirle
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1 9:01 AM
            chris__anderson wrote:

            > one thing that annoys me about java apps in windows is the need to
            > start them from the command prompt. because there is no way to throw
            > a process into the back ground, starting an app in java will no
            > relenquish the command line. this means that if you accidentally
            > close the shell you started java from, your java app will also shut
            > down.
            >
            > here is a modified batch file to fire off PCgen in it's own process
            > and close that annoying dos shell:
            >
            > start javaw -jar pcgen.jar
            > exit
            >
            > i have tested it on windows 2000 with jre 1.4 please let me know if
            > it doesn't work with 9x or ME.

            On my 2000 setup I can't use javaw to run PCGEN as it crashes to high
            heaven. This is using Java 1.4.0.

            --
            "Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total
            oblivion. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 1 9:22 AM
              At 12:01 PM 6/1/2002, you wrote:
              > > one thing that annoys me about java apps in windows is the need to
              > > start them from the command prompt. because there is no way to throw
              > > a process into the back ground, starting an app in java will no
              > > relenquish the command line. this means that if you accidentally
              > > close the shell you started java from, your java app will also shut
              > > down.
              > >
              > > here is a modified batch file to fire off PCgen in it's own process
              > > and close that annoying dos shell:
              > >
              > > start javaw -jar pcgen.jar
              > > exit
              > >
              > > i have tested it on windows 2000 with jre 1.4 please let me know if
              > > it doesn't work with 9x or ME.
              >

              >On my 2000 setup I can't use javaw to run PCGEN as it crashes to high
              >heaven. This is using Java 1.4.0.

              In Win2000, with Java 1.4.0 I have a desktop shortcut with the following
              properties on the "Shortcut" tab.

              Target: D:\PCGen\pcgen.jar
              Start In: D:\PCGen

              The rest of it is just left to default.

              On the "General" tab, you should see:

              Opens with: [] javaw

              ([] being the little icon.)

              If it doesn't say that, then your file type definition for .jar is screwed
              up. You can either go fix the file type definition, which I'm not gonna
              explain, or you can change it for just the one shortcut by hitting the
              "Change" button. On the window that pops up, hit "Browse" and go looking
              for wherever you installed javaw.exe

              Works just fine.

              --
              Timothy J. Lanza
            • Emily Smirle
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 1 9:57 AM
                Timothy J. Lanza wrote:

                > Works just fine.

                On your computer, yes. Thank you, but I've already gone through file
                assosiations and I also ran it from the command line out of frustration.
                with javaw all I get is a brief flash of the splash screen when it
                doesn't work. Some days it gets further than that, but it uses old-style
                dialog boxes and merrily generates exceptions hither, thither, and yon.
                --
                "Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total
                oblivion. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and
                through me. And when it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to
                see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing.
                Only I will remain." - www.goats.com
              • chris__anderson
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 1 10:14 AM
                  wow, in the old days (like a year ago) jar files were ususally
                  associted with compression utilities like winzip, so you couldn't
                  just double click them to start them up. which is why i had to write
                  scripts to start things off.

                  i have been plesantly surprised with all of the little changes that
                  the JRE has made since 1.1.2, like automatically adding itself to the
                  system path (and not tinkering with the autoexec.bat anymore).