getting rid of the dos window

  • chris__anderson
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2002
      one thing that annoys me about java apps in windows is the need to
      start them from the command prompt. because there is no way to throw
      a process into the back ground, starting an app in java will no
      relenquish the command line. this means that if you accidentally
      close the shell you started java from, your java app will also shut
      down.

      here is a modified batch file to fire off PCgen in it's own process
      and close that annoying dos shell:

      start javaw -jar pcgen.jar
      exit

      i have tested it on windows 2000 with jre 1.4 please let me know if
      it doesn't work with 9x or ME.
    • MaxSilverwood@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2002
        Have you tried running the pcgen.jar file? I run that file and I don't get a
        dos screen. I'm running Win98 SE with Jre 1.3, I think it should work on
        Win2000
      • Daniel Hahn
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2002
          MaxSilverwood@... wrote:

          >Have you tried running the pcgen.jar file? I run that file and I don't get a
          >dos screen. I'm running Win98 SE with Jre 1.3, I think it should work on
          >Win2000

          It does ;-)

          --
          Daniel Hahn (dhahn@...) http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~unp2
          PGP key on request. Protect your privacy on the net!

          "Chaos always wins, because it is better organized"
          - T. Pratchett
        • Roman Paravicini
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1, 2002
            tested on WinXP too ...
            > >Have you tried running the pcgen.jar file? I run that file and I don't
            get a
            > >dos screen. I'm running Win98 SE with Jre 1.3, I think it should work on
            > >Win2000
            > >

            > It does ;-)
            >
            > --
            > Daniel Hahn (dhahn@...) http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~unp2
            > PGP key on request. Protect your privacy on the net!
            >
            > "Chaos always wins, because it is better organized"
            > - T. Pratchett

          • Rob Bowell
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 1, 2002
              On Sat, 1 Jun 2002, chris__anderson wrote:

              > one thing that annoys me about java apps in windows is the need to
              > start them from the command prompt.

              I just run the .jar file directly instead of the .bat and I never have to
              worry about this.

              -----------
              Rob Bowell
            • Thomas Morris
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 1, 2002
                Go to ZDNet and download Send2Tray or a similar program. It'll put excess
                screens down in the system tray by the clock.

                Have fun,
                Tom
                thomas.e.morris@...

                Can't sleep, clowns will eat me.
              • Emily Smirle
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 1, 2002
                  chris__anderson wrote:

                  > one thing that annoys me about java apps in windows is the need to
                  > start them from the command prompt. because there is no way to throw
                  > a process into the back ground, starting an app in java will no
                  > relenquish the command line. this means that if you accidentally
                  > close the shell you started java from, your java app will also shut
                  > down.
                  >
                  > here is a modified batch file to fire off PCgen in it's own process
                  > and close that annoying dos shell:
                  >
                  > start javaw -jar pcgen.jar
                  > exit
                  >
                  > i have tested it on windows 2000 with jre 1.4 please let me know if
                  > it doesn't work with 9x or ME.

                  On my 2000 setup I can't use javaw to run PCGEN as it crashes to high
                  heaven. This is using Java 1.4.0.

                  --
                  "Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total
                  oblivion. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 1, 2002
                    At 12:01 PM 6/1/2002, you wrote:
                    > > one thing that annoys me about java apps in windows is the need to
                    > > start them from the command prompt. because there is no way to throw
                    > > a process into the back ground, starting an app in java will no
                    > > relenquish the command line. this means that if you accidentally
                    > > close the shell you started java from, your java app will also shut
                    > > down.
                    > >
                    > > here is a modified batch file to fire off PCgen in it's own process
                    > > and close that annoying dos shell:
                    > >
                    > > start javaw -jar pcgen.jar
                    > > exit
                    > >
                    > > i have tested it on windows 2000 with jre 1.4 please let me know if
                    > > it doesn't work with 9x or ME.
                    >

                    >On my 2000 setup I can't use javaw to run PCGEN as it crashes to high
                    >heaven. This is using Java 1.4.0.

                    In Win2000, with Java 1.4.0 I have a desktop shortcut with the following
                    properties on the "Shortcut" tab.

                    Target: D:\PCGen\pcgen.jar
                    Start In: D:\PCGen

                    The rest of it is just left to default.

                    On the "General" tab, you should see:

                    Opens with: [] javaw

                    ([] being the little icon.)

                    If it doesn't say that, then your file type definition for .jar is screwed
                    up. You can either go fix the file type definition, which I'm not gonna
                    explain, or you can change it for just the one shortcut by hitting the
                    "Change" button. On the window that pops up, hit "Browse" and go looking
                    for wherever you installed javaw.exe

                    Works just fine.

                    --
                    Timothy J. Lanza
                  • Emily Smirle
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 1, 2002
                      Timothy J. Lanza wrote:

                      > Works just fine.

                      On your computer, yes. Thank you, but I've already gone through file
                      assosiations and I also ran it from the command line out of frustration.
                      with javaw all I get is a brief flash of the splash screen when it
                      doesn't work. Some days it gets further than that, but it uses old-style
                      dialog boxes and merrily generates exceptions hither, thither, and yon.
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 1, 2002
                        wow, in the old days (like a year ago) jar files were ususally
                        associted with compression utilities like winzip, so you couldn't
                        just double click them to start them up. which is why i had to write
                        scripts to start things off.

                        i have been plesantly surprised with all of the little changes that
                        the JRE has made since 1.1.2, like automatically adding itself to the
                        system path (and not tinkering with the autoexec.bat anymore).