Re: [pcgen] Csheet_ROG... BUG(?) and request

  • Damian
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 3, 2001
      have you equiped the shield?
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: taz2@...
      Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2001 10:29 AM
      Subject: [pcgen] Csheet_ROG... BUG(?) and request

      Hi

      Just downloaded the updated csheet_rog from the files page and have found
      what seems to be an error - but is probably a misunderstanding on my part...
      I am creating a Paladin and equipped him with the following:

            Half-Plate+1      -> +8AC
            Large Masterwork Steel Shield            -> +2AC

      He also has DEX 14 which gives +2AC.

      So, if my math is up to it, this should give him... 10 (Base) + 8 (armour) + 2
      (shield) + 2 (DEX) = 22.

      Both shield and armour are equipped.

      However, the latest chsheet_ROG shows: 10 (base) + 10 (armour) + 2 (DEX)
      = 20!

      I assume this is a bug... or have I missed something damn obvious (as
      usual)? I'm using the latest PCGen and LST files.

      The other thing I was after is an addition to this excellent piece of work...
      Myself and my group like to see listed the skills you can use untrained.
      Now, I have added REQSKILL:UNTRAINED to the PCC files and the sheet
      shows them perfectly well. However, the skill list is in a weird order. I've tried
      to work out what order they are in, but there doesn't appear to be one. Can
      you sort the skill into alphabetical order please??

      Additionally, Bryan, can we have a switch in the Main tab to set whether the
      user wants untrained skills listed? I'm sure this has already been asked for...
      but just in case...

      Many Thanks

      Taz

      PS Use of this excellent code is growing in the RPGA here in the UK - most
      people I know use it.

    • Vance Reed
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 3, 2001
        Correct. Half plate has a max DEX bonus of +0.
        VR

        +
        > 2
        > (shield) + 2 (DEX) = 22.
        >
        > Both shield and armour are equipped.
        >
        > However, the latest chsheet_ROG shows: 10 (base) + 10 (armour) + 2 (DEX)
        > = 20!
        >
        > I assume this is a bug... or have I missed something damn obvious (as
        > usual)? I'm using the latest PCGen and LST files.
        >
        > The other thing I was after is an addition to this excellent piece of
        > work...
        > Myself and my group like to see listed the skills you can use untrained.
        > Now, I have added REQSKILL:UNTRAINED to the PCC files and the sheet
        > shows them perfectly well. However, the skill list is in a weird order.
        I've
        > tried
        > to work out what order they are in, but there doesn't appear to be one.
        Can
        > you sort the skill into alphabetical order please??
        >
        > Additionally, Bryan, can we have a switch in the Main tab to set whether
        the

        > user wants untrained skills listed? I'm sure this has already been asked
        > for...
        > but just in case...
        >
        > Many Thanks
        >
        > Taz
        >
        > PS Use of this excellent code is growing in the RPGA here in the UK - most
        > people I know use it.

      • Robert Hilson
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 3, 2001
          half plate has a max dex of 0, means the dex is negated by the armor.
          masterwork would make it +1 max dex, but not +1 (wierd but tru). if it is
          incoorect it needs fixed in the lst file (only refence i have here)

          =====
          Robert Hilson
          https://secure.paypal.com/affil/pal=okuth0r%40yahoo.com

          http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
        • Robert Hilson
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 3, 2001
            i hereby make a proposal. a trouble council. around 3 people ment to answer
            questions, refer features, and bugs, and act as a front end. apparently i am
            to slow to give any good advice, everyone else has pointed it out by the time i
            reply. say 3 people who answer toruble questions, so up regular poeople only
            have to discuss features.

            =====

          • mocha@mcs.net
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 3, 2001
              --- In pcgen@y..., taz2@u... wrote:
              Others have addressed your Half-Plate problem, so I'll snip 'til...

              > The other thing I was after is an addition to this excellent piece
              of work...
              > Myself and my group like to see listed the skills you can use
              untrained.
              > Now, I have added REQSKILL:UNTRAINED to the PCC files and the sheet
              > shows them perfectly well. However, the skill list is in a weird
              order. I've tried
              > to work out what order they are in, but there doesn't appear to be
              one. Can
              > you sort the skill into alphabetical order please??
              >
              > Additionally, Bryan, can we have a switch in the Main tab to set
              whether the
              > user wants untrained skills listed? I'm sure this has already been
              asked for...
              > but just in case...

              Yeah - both of these are known requests - I've been focusing my
              efforts on fixing bugs and adding functionality to support various
              material - that way I can focus my time on the conversion which I'm
              trying to get through... I'm saving this bit of functionality until I
              get the conversion finished. The sorting should be roughly close to
              all the untrained skills first, then anything you've added after that
              (in the order you added the skills). :)

              > Many Thanks
              >
              > Taz
              >
              > PS Use of this excellent code is growing in the RPGA here in the
              UK - most
              > people I know use it.

              Great! Sometimes I wonder how many people use PCGen - my ISP provides
              an html log of sorts, but I doubt it's reliability because I have
              anywhere between 20 and 1,500 hits per day, and somehow with 475
              members (and who knows how many unregistered users) I can't imagine
              my site is only checked sometimes 20 times/day - especially when I
              announce a release. I suppose if it were really important to me I
              could install one of those counters, but I just haven't bothered with
              that. Anyway, I'm glad y'all in the UK like this app! As always, I'd
              like to extend to kudos to everyone who has helped shape this into
              its current form - everyone who has managed to understand and add to
              the lst files, those who have created new character sheets, and all
              of you bug finders and feature requesters! :)

              -Bryan
            • mocha@mcs.net
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 3, 2001
                Not a bad idea - though there's no guarantee that any of a specified
                number of people will be on. From the perspective of the person who
                has the problem - getting 3 responses is a lot better than no-one
                responding because none of them are 'official'. I can see what you're
                trying to get at, though. For now, let's keep it open - anyone who
                can answer a question should do so. If we get to the point where we
                get swamped with replies, then I'll reconsider.

                -Bryan

                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 3, 2001
                  Masterwork reduces the Armor Check Penalty, not the Max DEX.
                  VR

                  > half plate has a max dex of 0, means the dex is negated by the armor.
                  > masterwork would make it +1 max dex, but not +1 (wierd but tru). if it is
                  > incoorect it needs fixed in the lst file (only refence i have here)
                  >
                  > =====
                  > Robert Hilson
                  > https://secure.paypal.com/affil/pal=okuth0r%40yahoo.com

                • Lonestar
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 3, 2001
                    D> Just downloaded the updated csheet_rog from the files page and have found
                    D> what seems to be an error - but is probably a misunderstanding on my part...
                    D> I am creating a Paladin and equipped him with the following:

                    D> Half-Plate+1 -> +8AC
                    D> Large Masterwork Steel Shield -> +2AC

                    D> He also has DEX 14 which gives +2AC.

                    D> So, if my math is up to it, this should give him... 10 (Base) + 8 (armour) + 2
                    D> (shield) + 2 (DEX) = 22.

                    D> Both shield and armour are equipped.

                    D> However, the latest chsheet_ROG shows: 10 (base) + 10 (armour) + 2 (DEX)
                    D> = 20!

                    D> I assume this is a bug... or have I missed something damn obvious (as
                    D> usual)? I'm using the latest PCGen and LST files.

                    Half-Plate has a max. DEX bonus of +0, so no DEX, your AC should be 20

                    Lonestar mailto:Lonestar@...
                  • Moulton, Ernie Mr USAREC
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 3, 2001
                      Heh. Maybe after its been answered half-a-dozen times, the rest of us should
                      just be quiet....

                      Ernie Moulton
                      E-Mail Administrator **
                      ACS / HQ USAREC
                      502 626-1664 FAX 502 626-0994

                      Si tu dixero, necesse erit ut tu interficiam.

                      mailto:moulton@...

                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 3, 2001
                        I login to yahoogroups to look at all the posts on the web - I don't
                        get the posts by email, so I can easily see if someone has already
                        answered. It's great that there are so many people here willing to
                        answer questions! :)

                        -Bryan

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                      • taz2@ukonline.co.uk
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 3, 2001
                          OK, OK, thanks to everyone reminding me to RTFM _before_ sending mails
                          in!

                          OK, so the DEX adjustment is nulled by the armour... So, should this reflect
                          in the sheet in some way (a -2 in MISC fr'instance)? I'm more concerned
                          with people other than us who just look at the sheet and whinge about it not
                          adding up...

                          <SNIPPED>

                          > Yeah - both of these are known requests - I've been focusing my efforts on
                          > fixing bugs and adding functionality to support various material

                          A never-ending task... as I keep reminding my customers when they
                          complain about ongoing support costs!

                          > - that way I can focus my time on the conversion which I'm trying to get
                          > through... I'm saving this bit of functionality until I get the conversion
                          > finished.

                          Not being a Java coder (I gave up coding a long time back), is this a
                          significant change?

                          > The sorting should be roughly close to all the untrained skills first, then
                          > anything you've added after that (in the order you added the skills). :)

                          Hmmmm... I follow the KISS method... I'd suggest a simple alpha sort as
                          most people find it easier to skim lists this way. Plus, it should be easier to
                          code. 8-)

                          As regards PCGen's use over here, I ensure I 'spread the gospel' at every
                          event I travel to (which is a fair number). The only 'complaint' I get back is
                          about the number of updates - which I counter with the obvious reply.
                          However, would it be possible to set up a mailing list that _only_ tells people
                          when there's a new release?

                          Thanks

                          Taz
                          (taz2@...)
                        • brianajones@mindspring.com
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 3, 2001
                            Actually, a better way would be to set it up like the "official" character sheet, and add a Max Dex box, as well as a possible Armor check penalty box at the top, near the AC. That way you could see the max dex is 0 or 1 or whatever, and you would know that limits your total AC.

                            The only problem with this is that some items have a max dex of 100, or something. So say I was wearing no armor, but had a Ring of Prot. +1, it would probably say Max Dex: 100. I don't really have a problem with this, but some people might...

                            Speaking of dex, this really goes in the optional combat system thread, but oh well. In that system, there is no max dex. You get your full dex bonus, no matter what kind of armor you're wearing. Is there a way to turn max dex off, short of changing each entry in the files?

                            Brian, who's being awful vocal for a lurker lately...
                            pcgen@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                            OK, OK, thanks to everyone reminding me to RTFM _before_ sending mails

                            in!

                            OK, so the DEX adjustment is nulled by the armour... So, should this reflect

                            in the sheet in some way (a -2 in MISC fr'instance)?� I'm more concerned

                            with people other than us who just look at the sheet and whinge about it not

                            adding up...

                            <SNIPPED>

                            > Yeah - both of these are known requests - I've been focusing my efforts on
                            >
                            > fixing bugs and adding functionality to support various material

                            A never-ending task... as I keep reminding my customers when they

                            complain about ongoing support costs!

                            > - that way I can focus my time on the conversion which I'm trying to get
                            >
                            > through... I'm saving this bit of functionality until I get the conversion
                            >
                            > finished.

                            Not being a Java coder (I gave up coding a long time back), is this a

                            significant change?

                            > The sorting should be roughly close to all the untrained skills first, then
                            >
                            > anything you've added after that (in the order you added the skills). :)

                            Hmmmm... I follow the KISS method... I'd suggest a simple alpha sort as

                            most people find it easier to skim lists this way. Plus, it should be easier to

                            code.� 8-)

                            As regards PCGen's use over here, I ensure I 'spread the gospel' at every

                            event I travel to (which is a fair number). The only 'complaint' I get back is

                            about the number of updates - which I counter with the obvious reply.

                            However, would it be possible to set up a mailing list that _only_ tells people

                            when there's a new release?

                            Thanks

                            Taz

                            (taz2@...)

                            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                            <A TARGET="Link" href="http://rd.yahoo.com/M=169066.1299453.2894590.2/D=egroupmail/S=1700000001:N/A=560428/*http://cgi.pathfinder.com/cgi-bin/magsubs/cc/subs/fortuneextnocc?EFFORTKEY=FOBS0C9" target="_top"></A>

                          • mocha@mcs.net
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 3, 2001
                              --- In pcgen@y..., taz2@u... wrote:
                              > OK, OK, thanks to everyone reminding me to RTFM _before_ sending
                              mails
                              > in!

                              Actually, not a single person put it in those terms, which makes me
                              glad. I get irritated with people who don't answer a question except
                              to waste bandwidth with "RTFM" - as if everyone had access to the
                              manual at all times. If I'm wondering about something, maybe someone
                              on the group can answer it before I get home and can RTFM. ;)

                              > OK, so the DEX adjustment is nulled by the armour... So, should
                              this reflect
                              > in the sheet in some way (a -2 in MISC fr'instance)? I'm more
                              concerned
                              > with people other than us who just look at the sheet and whinge
                              about it not
                              > adding up...

                              Hm - I just noticed that ACMOD does this correctly, and since it
                              includes the racial bonus, I had ROG change it to ACABILITYMOD which
                              does not do this bit correctly. I'll fix ACABILITYMOD so it does this
                              correctly for the next release so as to avoid confusion.

                              > <SNIPPED>
                              >
                              > > Yeah - both of these are known requests - I've been focusing my
                              efforts on
                              > > fixing bugs and adding functionality to support various material
                              >
                              > A never-ending task... as I keep reminding my customers when they
                              > complain about ongoing support costs!
                              >
                              > > - that way I can focus my time on the conversion which I'm trying
                              to get
                              > > through... I'm saving this bit of functionality until I get the
                              conversion
                              > > finished.
                              >
                              > Not being a Java coder (I gave up coding a long time back), is this
                              > significant change?

                              Unfortunately, yes it is a significant change.

                              > > The sorting should be roughly close to all the untrained skills
                              first, then
                              > > anything you've added after that (in the order you added the
                              skills). :)

                              > Hmmmm... I follow the KISS method... I'd suggest a simple alpha
                              sort as
                              > most people find it easier to skim lists this way. Plus, it should
                              be easier to
                              > code. 8-)

                              Yup - I'll do the sorting. I actually have a method that does it now,
                              but I'm only sorting the campaign related lists, not the character
                              related lists. It's more a matter of deciding when to sort - and not
                              to sort all the time or it would slow things down considerably. Not
                              hard to figure out, just haven't gotten to it yet.

                              > As regards PCGen's use over here, I ensure I 'spread the gospel' at
                              every
                              > event I travel to (which is a fair number). The only 'complaint' I
                              get back is
                              > about the number of updates - which I counter with the obvious
                              reply.
                              > However, would it be possible to set up a mailing list that _only_
                              tells people
                              > when there's a new release?

                              Spread the gospel? heh - maybe I should add PCGen as a deity and
                              ascribe it some domains in the Misc campaign... ;)
                              I could do my updates less often, but Arcady wants his Loremaster to
                              work... :)
                              I think a number of people have set their browsers to notify them
                              whenever a change has occured in my
                              www.mcs.net/~mocha/frp/3e/index.html file. I update at least the date
                              on it whenever I put a new release out. If there's enough interest,
                              I could create a PCGen-Release yahoo group and disallow posting
                              there - anyone could join, but only I could post, and I'd only post
                              release messages there. I'd want to know that a number of people
                              really want this since you're the only one who has mentioned this as
                              a problem before. Most people (I think) turn email off from this
                              group since it is kind of heavy-traffic and simply check the group
                              page at groups.yahoo.com/group/pcgen if they really want to see what
                              posts have been made, check the bug or feature list, grab a
                              charactersheet template or campaign. Since I put out a release fairly
                              frequently, it's a good idea to check it every day or two.

                              -Bryan

                            • mocha@mcs.net
                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 3, 2001
                                --- In pcgen@y..., brianajones@m... wrote:
                                > Actually, a better way would be to set it up like the "official"
                                character sheet, and add a Max Dex box, as well as a possible Armor
                                check penalty box at the top, near the AC. That way you could see
                                the max dex is 0 or 1 or whatever, and you would know that limits
                                your total AC.
                                Hm, maybe instead of modifying ACABILITYMOD to account for MAXDEX a
                                change to the charactersheet would be |ACABILITYMOD|(|MAXDEX|),
                                though I see the charactersheet has MAXDEX later in the same row, so
                                I'm not sure what to do. Granted, seeing +2 is confusing if it isn't
                                adding to the total, and it might not be intuitive that this value is
                                capped by the value in another cell. Maybe dropping the MAXDEX cell,
                                and combining it like I suggested |ACABILITYMOD|(|MAXDEX|) would be
                                more clear, though it would mean altering the format that ROG has so
                                carefully copied from our Wotc friends...

                                > The only problem with this is that some items have a max dex of
                                100, or something. So say I was wearing no armor, but had a Ring of
                                Prot. +1, it would probably say Max Dex: 100. I don't really have a
                                problem with this, but some people might...

                                Yeah - maybe I ought to just assume an infinite cap if no MAXDEX
                                exists - and if no maxdex cap exists, then display "" for MAXDEX
                                instead of having to rely upon a number. 100 was chosen purely for
                                convenience on my part - it isn't a necessity.

                                > Speaking of dex, this really goes in the optional combat system
                                thread, but oh well. In that system, there is no max dex. You get
                                your full dex bonus, no matter what kind of armor you're wearing. Is
                                there a way to turn max dex off, short of changing each entry in the
                                files?

                                Okay - so the option I mentioned earlier about Armor (I forget what I
                                called it) would then override all Armor bonuses to AC *and* ignore
                                MAXDEX caps. That's easy enough.

                                Oh - you'll need to explain to me how each class improves it's AC
                                (via some sort of defense). I'd need to know what kind of formulas
                                were required to make sure my DEFINE: and BONUS: tags could emulate
                                them.

                                > Brian, who's being awful vocal for a lurker lately...

                                Lurker Aboves are easier to avoid than Trappers.... :)

                                -Bryan
                              • Robert Hilson
                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 3, 2001
                                  i vote for the release group. simply cause if im looking if something has been
                                  fixed or when a feature has been implemented theres at least 3 pages between
                                  updates, ands thats if it was everyday.

                                  =====

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 3, 2001
                                    The best way to explain it is in the Grim @ gritty combat system someone just uploaded into the file folder. It's only about 12 pages total, but it is the whole system.

                                    Brian

                                    pcgen@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                                    --- In pcgen@y..., brianajones@m... wrote:

                                    > Actually, a better way would be to set it up like the "official"

                                    character sheet, and add a Max Dex box, as well as a possible Armor

                                    check penalty box at the top, near the AC.� That way you could see

                                    the max dex is 0 or 1 or whatever, and you would know that limits

                                    your total AC.

                                    Hm, maybe instead of modifying ACABILITYMOD to account for MAXDEX a

                                    change to the charactersheet would be |ACABILITYMOD|(|MAXDEX|),

                                    though I see the charactersheet has MAXDEX later in the same row, so

                                    I'm not sure what to do.� Granted, seeing +2 is confusing if it isn't

                                    adding to the total, and it might not be intuitive that this value is

                                    capped by the value in another cell. Maybe dropping the MAXDEX cell,

                                    and combining it like I suggested |ACABILITYMOD|(|MAXDEX|) would be

                                    more clear, though it would mean altering the format that ROG has so

                                    carefully copied from our Wotc friends...

                                    > The only problem with this is that some items have a max dex of

                                    100, or something.� So say I was wearing no armor, but had a Ring of

                                    Prot. +1, it would probably say Max Dex: 100.� I don't really have a

                                    problem with this, but some people might...

                                    Yeah - maybe I ought to just assume an infinite cap if no MAXDEX

                                    exists - and if no maxdex cap exists, then display "" for MAXDEX

                                    instead of having to rely upon a number.� 100 was chosen purely for

                                    convenience on my part - it isn't a necessity.

                                    > Speaking of dex, this really goes in the optional combat system

                                    thread, but oh well.� In that system, there is no max dex.� You get

                                    your full dex bonus, no matter what kind of armor you're wearing.� Is

                                    there a way to turn max dex off, short of changing each entry in the

                                    files?

                                    Okay - so the option I mentioned earlier about Armor (I forget what I

                                    called it) would then override all Armor bonuses to AC *and* ignore

                                    MAXDEX caps. That's easy enough.

                                    Oh - you'll need to explain to me how each class improves it's AC

                                    (via some sort of defense). I'd need to know what kind of formulas

                                    were required to make sure my DEFINE: and BONUS: tags could emulate

                                    them.

                                    > Brian, who's being awful vocal for a lurker lately...

                                    Lurker Aboves are easier to avoid than Trappers.... :)

                                    -Bryan

                                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                    <A TARGET="Link" href="http://rd.yahoo.com/M=185282.1385291.2971082.1316453/D=egroupmail/S=1700000001:N/A=596529/*https://www.aria.com/ndconfig.nd/Home/pgAriaBanner/?banner_id=Yahoo/ROS468x60/Allbanners.gif&sourceid=M=185282.1385291.2971082.1316453/D=egroupmail/S=1700000001:N/A=596529/R=0" target="_top"></A>

                                  • Damian
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Apr 3, 2001
                                      how bout making max dex the max APPLIABLE dex?  so if you're dex bonus is +5, but you're so encumbered as to have a max dex of 3, only +3 shows up, but if it's lower, your dex bonus shows up?????  I may be blowing hot air, and this may be the way it works, but it's just an idea.
                                      > Actually, a better way would be to set it up like the "official"
                                      character sheet, and add a Max Dex box, as well as a possible Armor
                                      check penalty box at the top, near the AC.  That way you could see
                                      the max dex is 0 or 1 or whatever, and you would know that limits
                                      your total AC.
                                      Hm, maybe instead of modifying ACABILITYMOD to account for MAXDEX a
                                      change to the charactersheet would be |ACABILITYMOD|(|MAXDEX|),
                                      though I see the charactersheet has MAXDEX later in the same row, so
                                      I'm not sure what to do.  Granted, seeing +2 is confusing if it isn't
                                      adding to the total, and it might not be intuitive that this value is
                                      capped by the value in another cell. Maybe dropping the MAXDEX cell,
                                      and combining it like I suggested |ACABILITYMOD|(|MAXDEX|) would be
                                      more clear, though it would mean altering the format that ROG has so
                                      carefully copied from our Wotc friends...

                                      > The only problem with this is that some items have a max dex of
                                      100, or something.  So say I was wearing no armor, but had a Ring of
                                      Prot. +1, it would probably say Max Dex: 100.  I don't really have a
                                      problem with this, but some people might...

                                      Yeah - maybe I ought to just assume an infinite cap if no MAXDEX
                                      exists - and if no maxdex cap exists, then display "" for MAXDEX
                                      instead of having to rely upon a number.  100 was chosen purely for
                                      convenience on my part - it isn't a necessity.

                                      > Speaking of dex, this really goes in the optional combat system
                                      thread, but oh well.  In that system, there is no max dex.  You get
                                      your full dex bonus, no matter what kind of armor you're wearing.  Is
                                      there a way to turn max dex off, short of changing each entry in the
                                      files?

                                      Okay - so the option I mentioned earlier about Armor (I forget what I
                                      called it) would then override all Armor bonuses to AC *and* ignore
                                      MAXDEX caps. That's easy enough.

                                      Oh - you'll need to explain to me how each class improves it's AC
                                      (via some sort of defense). I'd need to know what kind of formulas
                                      were required to make sure my DEFINE: and BONUS: tags could emulate
                                      them.

                                      > Brian, who's being awful vocal for a lurker lately...

                                      Lurker Aboves are easier to avoid than Trappers.... :)

                                      -Bryan

                                    • Richard & Sarah
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Apr 3, 2001
                                        Thanks Bryan!

                                        I knew their was some reason I used ACMOD instead of ACABILITYMOD, I just couldn't remember what it was.

                                        I've read your other message, and I'd prefer ACABILITYMOD to be capped by the MAXDEX. just like ACMOD was.

                                        -ROG