RE: [pcgen] Csheet_ROG... BUG(?) and request

  • Franco, Matthew E
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 3 8:33 AM
      When wearing half plate you don't get dex bonuses. I think check the phb I
      don't have it with me right now.

        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 3 8:39 AM
          Correct. Half plate has a max DEX bonus of +0.
          VR

          +
          > 2
          > (shield) + 2 (DEX) = 22.
          >
          > Both shield and armour are equipped.
          >
          > However, the latest chsheet_ROG shows: 10 (base) + 10 (armour) + 2 (DEX)
          > = 20!
          >
          > I assume this is a bug... or have I missed something damn obvious (as
          > usual)? I'm using the latest PCGen and LST files.
          >
          > The other thing I was after is an addition to this excellent piece of
          > work...
          > Myself and my group like to see listed the skills you can use untrained.
          > Now, I have added REQSKILL:UNTRAINED to the PCC files and the sheet
          > shows them perfectly well. However, the skill list is in a weird order.
          I've
          > tried
          > to work out what order they are in, but there doesn't appear to be one.
          Can
          > you sort the skill into alphabetical order please??
          >
          > Additionally, Bryan, can we have a switch in the Main tab to set whether
          the

          > user wants untrained skills listed? I'm sure this has already been asked
          > for...
          > but just in case...
          >
          > Many Thanks
          >
          > Taz
          >
          > PS Use of this excellent code is growing in the RPGA here in the UK - most
          > people I know use it.

        • Robert Hilson
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 3 8:59 AM
            half plate has a max dex of 0, means the dex is negated by the armor.
            masterwork would make it +1 max dex, but not +1 (wierd but tru). if it is
            incoorect it needs fixed in the lst file (only refence i have here)

            =====
            Robert Hilson
            https://secure.paypal.com/affil/pal=okuth0r%40yahoo.com

            http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
          • Robert Hilson
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 3 9:10 AM
              i hereby make a proposal. a trouble council. around 3 people ment to answer
              questions, refer features, and bugs, and act as a front end. apparently i am
              to slow to give any good advice, everyone else has pointed it out by the time i
              reply. say 3 people who answer toruble questions, so up regular poeople only
              have to discuss features.

              =====

            • mocha@mcs.net
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 3 9:19 AM
                --- In pcgen@y..., taz2@u... wrote:
                Others have addressed your Half-Plate problem, so I'll snip 'til...

                > The other thing I was after is an addition to this excellent piece
                of work...
                > Myself and my group like to see listed the skills you can use
                untrained.
                > Now, I have added REQSKILL:UNTRAINED to the PCC files and the sheet
                > shows them perfectly well. However, the skill list is in a weird
                order. I've tried
                > to work out what order they are in, but there doesn't appear to be
                one. Can
                > you sort the skill into alphabetical order please??
                >
                > Additionally, Bryan, can we have a switch in the Main tab to set
                whether the
                > user wants untrained skills listed? I'm sure this has already been
                asked for...
                > but just in case...

                Yeah - both of these are known requests - I've been focusing my
                efforts on fixing bugs and adding functionality to support various
                material - that way I can focus my time on the conversion which I'm
                trying to get through... I'm saving this bit of functionality until I
                get the conversion finished. The sorting should be roughly close to
                all the untrained skills first, then anything you've added after that
                (in the order you added the skills). :)

                > Many Thanks
                >
                > Taz
                >
                > PS Use of this excellent code is growing in the RPGA here in the
                UK - most
                > people I know use it.

                Great! Sometimes I wonder how many people use PCGen - my ISP provides
                an html log of sorts, but I doubt it's reliability because I have
                anywhere between 20 and 1,500 hits per day, and somehow with 475
                members (and who knows how many unregistered users) I can't imagine
                my site is only checked sometimes 20 times/day - especially when I
                announce a release. I suppose if it were really important to me I
                could install one of those counters, but I just haven't bothered with
                that. Anyway, I'm glad y'all in the UK like this app! As always, I'd
                like to extend to kudos to everyone who has helped shape this into
                its current form - everyone who has managed to understand and add to
                the lst files, those who have created new character sheets, and all
                of you bug finders and feature requesters! :)

                -Bryan
              • mocha@mcs.net
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 3 9:22 AM
                  Not a bad idea - though there's no guarantee that any of a specified
                  number of people will be on. From the perspective of the person who
                  has the problem - getting 3 responses is a lot better than no-one
                  responding because none of them are 'official'. I can see what you're
                  trying to get at, though. For now, let's keep it open - anyone who
                  can answer a question should do so. If we get to the point where we
                  get swamped with replies, then I'll reconsider.

                  -Bryan

                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 3 9:31 AM
                    Masterwork reduces the Armor Check Penalty, not the Max DEX.
                    VR

                    > half plate has a max dex of 0, means the dex is negated by the armor.
                    > masterwork would make it +1 max dex, but not +1 (wierd but tru). if it is
                    > incoorect it needs fixed in the lst file (only refence i have here)
                    >
                    > =====
                    > Robert Hilson
                    > https://secure.paypal.com/affil/pal=okuth0r%40yahoo.com

                  • Lonestar
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 3 9:37 AM
                      D> Just downloaded the updated csheet_rog from the files page and have found
                      D> what seems to be an error - but is probably a misunderstanding on my part...
                      D> I am creating a Paladin and equipped him with the following:

                      D> Half-Plate+1 -> +8AC
                      D> Large Masterwork Steel Shield -> +2AC

                      D> He also has DEX 14 which gives +2AC.

                      D> So, if my math is up to it, this should give him... 10 (Base) + 8 (armour) + 2
                      D> (shield) + 2 (DEX) = 22.

                      D> Both shield and armour are equipped.

                      D> However, the latest chsheet_ROG shows: 10 (base) + 10 (armour) + 2 (DEX)
                      D> = 20!

                      D> I assume this is a bug... or have I missed something damn obvious (as
                      D> usual)? I'm using the latest PCGen and LST files.

                      Half-Plate has a max. DEX bonus of +0, so no DEX, your AC should be 20

                      Lonestar mailto:Lonestar@...
                    • Moulton, Ernie Mr USAREC
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 3 10:02 AM
                        Heh. Maybe after its been answered half-a-dozen times, the rest of us should
                        just be quiet....

                        Ernie Moulton
                        E-Mail Administrator **
                        ACS / HQ USAREC
                        502 626-1664 FAX 502 626-0994

                        Si tu dixero, necesse erit ut tu interficiam.

                        mailto:moulton@...

                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 3 10:10 AM
                          I login to yahoogroups to look at all the posts on the web - I don't
                          get the posts by email, so I can easily see if someone has already
                          answered. It's great that there are so many people here willing to
                          answer questions! :)

                          -Bryan

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                        • taz2@ukonline.co.uk
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 3 10:41 AM
                            OK, OK, thanks to everyone reminding me to RTFM _before_ sending mails
                            in!

                            OK, so the DEX adjustment is nulled by the armour... So, should this reflect
                            in the sheet in some way (a -2 in MISC fr'instance)? I'm more concerned
                            with people other than us who just look at the sheet and whinge about it not
                            adding up...

                            <SNIPPED>

                            > Yeah - both of these are known requests - I've been focusing my efforts on
                            > fixing bugs and adding functionality to support various material

                            A never-ending task... as I keep reminding my customers when they
                            complain about ongoing support costs!

                            > - that way I can focus my time on the conversion which I'm trying to get
                            > through... I'm saving this bit of functionality until I get the conversion
                            > finished.

                            Not being a Java coder (I gave up coding a long time back), is this a
                            significant change?

                            > The sorting should be roughly close to all the untrained skills first, then
                            > anything you've added after that (in the order you added the skills). :)

                            Hmmmm... I follow the KISS method... I'd suggest a simple alpha sort as
                            most people find it easier to skim lists this way. Plus, it should be easier to
                            code. 8-)

                            As regards PCGen's use over here, I ensure I 'spread the gospel' at every
                            event I travel to (which is a fair number). The only 'complaint' I get back is
                            about the number of updates - which I counter with the obvious reply.
                            However, would it be possible to set up a mailing list that _only_ tells people
                            when there's a new release?

                            Thanks

                            Taz
                            (taz2@...)
                          • brianajones@mindspring.com
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 3 11:02 AM
                              Actually, a better way would be to set it up like the "official" character sheet, and add a Max Dex box, as well as a possible Armor check penalty box at the top, near the AC. That way you could see the max dex is 0 or 1 or whatever, and you would know that limits your total AC.

                              The only problem with this is that some items have a max dex of 100, or something. So say I was wearing no armor, but had a Ring of Prot. +1, it would probably say Max Dex: 100. I don't really have a problem with this, but some people might...

                              Speaking of dex, this really goes in the optional combat system thread, but oh well. In that system, there is no max dex. You get your full dex bonus, no matter what kind of armor you're wearing. Is there a way to turn max dex off, short of changing each entry in the files?

                              Brian, who's being awful vocal for a lurker lately...
                              pcgen@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                              OK, OK, thanks to everyone reminding me to RTFM _before_ sending mails

                              in!

                              OK, so the DEX adjustment is nulled by the armour... So, should this reflect

                              in the sheet in some way (a -2 in MISC fr'instance)?� I'm more concerned

                              with people other than us who just look at the sheet and whinge about it not

                              adding up...

                              <SNIPPED>

                              > Yeah - both of these are known requests - I've been focusing my efforts on
                              >
                              > fixing bugs and adding functionality to support various material

                              A never-ending task... as I keep reminding my customers when they

                              complain about ongoing support costs!

                              > - that way I can focus my time on the conversion which I'm trying to get
                              >
                              > through... I'm saving this bit of functionality until I get the conversion
                              >
                              > finished.

                              Not being a Java coder (I gave up coding a long time back), is this a

                              significant change?

                              > The sorting should be roughly close to all the untrained skills first, then
                              >
                              > anything you've added after that (in the order you added the skills). :)

                              Hmmmm... I follow the KISS method... I'd suggest a simple alpha sort as

                              most people find it easier to skim lists this way. Plus, it should be easier to

                              code.� 8-)

                              As regards PCGen's use over here, I ensure I 'spread the gospel' at every

                              event I travel to (which is a fair number). The only 'complaint' I get back is

                              about the number of updates - which I counter with the obvious reply.

                              However, would it be possible to set up a mailing list that _only_ tells people

                              when there's a new release?

                              Thanks

                              Taz

                              (taz2@...)

                              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                              <A TARGET="Link" href="http://rd.yahoo.com/M=169066.1299453.2894590.2/D=egroupmail/S=1700000001:N/A=560428/*http://cgi.pathfinder.com/cgi-bin/magsubs/cc/subs/fortuneextnocc?EFFORTKEY=FOBS0C9" target="_top"></A>

                            • mocha@mcs.net
                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 3 12:13 PM
                                --- In pcgen@y..., taz2@u... wrote:
                                > OK, OK, thanks to everyone reminding me to RTFM _before_ sending
                                mails
                                > in!

                                Actually, not a single person put it in those terms, which makes me
                                glad. I get irritated with people who don't answer a question except
                                to waste bandwidth with "RTFM" - as if everyone had access to the
                                manual at all times. If I'm wondering about something, maybe someone
                                on the group can answer it before I get home and can RTFM. ;)

                                > OK, so the DEX adjustment is nulled by the armour... So, should
                                this reflect
                                > in the sheet in some way (a -2 in MISC fr'instance)? I'm more
                                concerned
                                > with people other than us who just look at the sheet and whinge
                                about it not
                                > adding up...

                                Hm - I just noticed that ACMOD does this correctly, and since it
                                includes the racial bonus, I had ROG change it to ACABILITYMOD which
                                does not do this bit correctly. I'll fix ACABILITYMOD so it does this
                                correctly for the next release so as to avoid confusion.

                                > <SNIPPED>
                                >
                                > > Yeah - both of these are known requests - I've been focusing my
                                efforts on
                                > > fixing bugs and adding functionality to support various material
                                >
                                > A never-ending task... as I keep reminding my customers when they
                                > complain about ongoing support costs!
                                >
                                > > - that way I can focus my time on the conversion which I'm trying
                                to get
                                > > through... I'm saving this bit of functionality until I get the
                                conversion
                                > > finished.
                                >
                                > Not being a Java coder (I gave up coding a long time back), is this
                                > significant change?

                                Unfortunately, yes it is a significant change.

                                > > The sorting should be roughly close to all the untrained skills
                                first, then
                                > > anything you've added after that (in the order you added the
                                skills). :)

                                > Hmmmm... I follow the KISS method... I'd suggest a simple alpha
                                sort as
                                > most people find it easier to skim lists this way. Plus, it should
                                be easier to
                                > code. 8-)

                                Yup - I'll do the sorting. I actually have a method that does it now,
                                but I'm only sorting the campaign related lists, not the character
                                related lists. It's more a matter of deciding when to sort - and not
                                to sort all the time or it would slow things down considerably. Not
                                hard to figure out, just haven't gotten to it yet.

                                > As regards PCGen's use over here, I ensure I 'spread the gospel' at
                                every
                                > event I travel to (which is a fair number). The only 'complaint' I
                                get back is
                                > about the number of updates - which I counter with the obvious
                                reply.
                                > However, would it be possible to set up a mailing list that _only_
                                tells people
                                > when there's a new release?

                                Spread the gospel? heh - maybe I should add PCGen as a deity and
                                ascribe it some domains in the Misc campaign... ;)
                                I could do my updates less often, but Arcady wants his Loremaster to
                                work... :)
                                I think a number of people have set their browsers to notify them
                                whenever a change has occured in my
                                www.mcs.net/~mocha/frp/3e/index.html file. I update at least the date
                                on it whenever I put a new release out. If there's enough interest,
                                I could create a PCGen-Release yahoo group and disallow posting
                                there - anyone could join, but only I could post, and I'd only post
                                release messages there. I'd want to know that a number of people
                                really want this since you're the only one who has mentioned this as
                                a problem before. Most people (I think) turn email off from this
                                group since it is kind of heavy-traffic and simply check the group
                                page at groups.yahoo.com/group/pcgen if they really want to see what
                                posts have been made, check the bug or feature list, grab a
                                charactersheet template or campaign. Since I put out a release fairly
                                frequently, it's a good idea to check it every day or two.

                                -Bryan

                              • mocha@mcs.net
                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 3 12:24 PM
                                  --- In pcgen@y..., brianajones@m... wrote:
                                  > Actually, a better way would be to set it up like the "official"
                                  character sheet, and add a Max Dex box, as well as a possible Armor
                                  check penalty box at the top, near the AC. That way you could see
                                  the max dex is 0 or 1 or whatever, and you would know that limits
                                  your total AC.
                                  Hm, maybe instead of modifying ACABILITYMOD to account for MAXDEX a
                                  change to the charactersheet would be |ACABILITYMOD|(|MAXDEX|),
                                  though I see the charactersheet has MAXDEX later in the same row, so
                                  I'm not sure what to do. Granted, seeing +2 is confusing if it isn't
                                  adding to the total, and it might not be intuitive that this value is
                                  capped by the value in another cell. Maybe dropping the MAXDEX cell,
                                  and combining it like I suggested |ACABILITYMOD|(|MAXDEX|) would be
                                  more clear, though it would mean altering the format that ROG has so
                                  carefully copied from our Wotc friends...

                                  > The only problem with this is that some items have a max dex of
                                  100, or something. So say I was wearing no armor, but had a Ring of
                                  Prot. +1, it would probably say Max Dex: 100. I don't really have a
                                  problem with this, but some people might...

                                  Yeah - maybe I ought to just assume an infinite cap if no MAXDEX
                                  exists - and if no maxdex cap exists, then display "" for MAXDEX
                                  instead of having to rely upon a number. 100 was chosen purely for
                                  convenience on my part - it isn't a necessity.

                                  > Speaking of dex, this really goes in the optional combat system
                                  thread, but oh well. In that system, there is no max dex. You get
                                  your full dex bonus, no matter what kind of armor you're wearing. Is
                                  there a way to turn max dex off, short of changing each entry in the
                                  files?

                                  Okay - so the option I mentioned earlier about Armor (I forget what I
                                  called it) would then override all Armor bonuses to AC *and* ignore
                                  MAXDEX caps. That's easy enough.

                                  Oh - you'll need to explain to me how each class improves it's AC
                                  (via some sort of defense). I'd need to know what kind of formulas
                                  were required to make sure my DEFINE: and BONUS: tags could emulate
                                  them.

                                  > Brian, who's being awful vocal for a lurker lately...

                                  Lurker Aboves are easier to avoid than Trappers.... :)

                                  -Bryan
                                • Robert Hilson
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 3 12:26 PM
                                    i vote for the release group. simply cause if im looking if something has been
                                    fixed or when a feature has been implemented theres at least 3 pages between
                                    updates, ands thats if it was everyday.

                                    =====

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Apr 3 12:35 PM
                                      The best way to explain it is in the Grim @ gritty combat system someone just uploaded into the file folder. It's only about 12 pages total, but it is the whole system.

                                      Brian

                                      pcgen@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                                      --- In pcgen@y..., brianajones@m... wrote:

                                      > Actually, a better way would be to set it up like the "official"

                                      character sheet, and add a Max Dex box, as well as a possible Armor

                                      check penalty box at the top, near the AC.� That way you could see

                                      the max dex is 0 or 1 or whatever, and you would know that limits

                                      your total AC.

                                      Hm, maybe instead of modifying ACABILITYMOD to account for MAXDEX a

                                      change to the charactersheet would be |ACABILITYMOD|(|MAXDEX|),

                                      though I see the charactersheet has MAXDEX later in the same row, so

                                      I'm not sure what to do.� Granted, seeing +2 is confusing if it isn't

                                      adding to the total, and it might not be intuitive that this value is

                                      capped by the value in another cell. Maybe dropping the MAXDEX cell,

                                      and combining it like I suggested |ACABILITYMOD|(|MAXDEX|) would be

                                      more clear, though it would mean altering the format that ROG has so

                                      carefully copied from our Wotc friends...

                                      > The only problem with this is that some items have a max dex of

                                      100, or something.� So say I was wearing no armor, but had a Ring of

                                      Prot. +1, it would probably say Max Dex: 100.� I don't really have a

                                      problem with this, but some people might...

                                      Yeah - maybe I ought to just assume an infinite cap if no MAXDEX

                                      exists - and if no maxdex cap exists, then display "" for MAXDEX

                                      instead of having to rely upon a number.� 100 was chosen purely for

                                      convenience on my part - it isn't a necessity.

                                      > Speaking of dex, this really goes in the optional combat system

                                      thread, but oh well.� In that system, there is no max dex.� You get

                                      your full dex bonus, no matter what kind of armor you're wearing.� Is

                                      there a way to turn max dex off, short of changing each entry in the

                                      files?

                                      Okay - so the option I mentioned earlier about Armor (I forget what I

                                      called it) would then override all Armor bonuses to AC *and* ignore

                                      MAXDEX caps. That's easy enough.

                                      Oh - you'll need to explain to me how each class improves it's AC

                                      (via some sort of defense). I'd need to know what kind of formulas

                                      were required to make sure my DEFINE: and BONUS: tags could emulate

                                      them.

                                      > Brian, who's being awful vocal for a lurker lately...

                                      Lurker Aboves are easier to avoid than Trappers.... :)

                                      -Bryan

                                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                      <A TARGET="Link" href="http://rd.yahoo.com/M=185282.1385291.2971082.1316453/D=egroupmail/S=1700000001:N/A=596529/*https://www.aria.com/ndconfig.nd/Home/pgAriaBanner/?banner_id=Yahoo/ROS468x60/Allbanners.gif&sourceid=M=185282.1385291.2971082.1316453/D=egroupmail/S=1700000001:N/A=596529/R=0" target="_top"></A>

                                    • Damian
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Apr 3 1:47 PM
                                        how bout making max dex the max APPLIABLE dex?  so if you're dex bonus is +5, but you're so encumbered as to have a max dex of 3, only +3 shows up, but if it's lower, your dex bonus shows up?????  I may be blowing hot air, and this may be the way it works, but it's just an idea.
                                        > Actually, a better way would be to set it up like the "official"
                                        character sheet, and add a Max Dex box, as well as a possible Armor
                                        check penalty box at the top, near the AC.  That way you could see
                                        the max dex is 0 or 1 or whatever, and you would know that limits
                                        your total AC.
                                        Hm, maybe instead of modifying ACABILITYMOD to account for MAXDEX a
                                        change to the charactersheet would be |ACABILITYMOD|(|MAXDEX|),
                                        though I see the charactersheet has MAXDEX later in the same row, so
                                        I'm not sure what to do.  Granted, seeing +2 is confusing if it isn't
                                        adding to the total, and it might not be intuitive that this value is
                                        capped by the value in another cell. Maybe dropping the MAXDEX cell,
                                        and combining it like I suggested |ACABILITYMOD|(|MAXDEX|) would be
                                        more clear, though it would mean altering the format that ROG has so
                                        carefully copied from our Wotc friends...

                                        > The only problem with this is that some items have a max dex of
                                        100, or something.  So say I was wearing no armor, but had a Ring of
                                        Prot. +1, it would probably say Max Dex: 100.  I don't really have a
                                        problem with this, but some people might...

                                        Yeah - maybe I ought to just assume an infinite cap if no MAXDEX
                                        exists - and if no maxdex cap exists, then display "" for MAXDEX
                                        instead of having to rely upon a number.  100 was chosen purely for
                                        convenience on my part - it isn't a necessity.

                                        > Speaking of dex, this really goes in the optional combat system
                                        thread, but oh well.  In that system, there is no max dex.  You get
                                        your full dex bonus, no matter what kind of armor you're wearing.  Is
                                        there a way to turn max dex off, short of changing each entry in the
                                        files?

                                        Okay - so the option I mentioned earlier about Armor (I forget what I
                                        called it) would then override all Armor bonuses to AC *and* ignore
                                        MAXDEX caps. That's easy enough.

                                        Oh - you'll need to explain to me how each class improves it's AC
                                        (via some sort of defense). I'd need to know what kind of formulas
                                        were required to make sure my DEFINE: and BONUS: tags could emulate
                                        them.

                                        > Brian, who's being awful vocal for a lurker lately...

                                        Lurker Aboves are easier to avoid than Trappers.... :)

                                        -Bryan

                                      • Richard & Sarah
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Apr 3 3:41 PM
                                          Thanks Bryan!

                                          I knew their was some reason I used ACMOD instead of ACABILITYMOD, I just couldn't remember what it was.

                                          I've read your other message, and I'd prefer ACABILITYMOD to be capped by the MAXDEX. just like ACMOD was.

                                          -ROG