Re: [pcgen] Re: Request

  • Damian
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 3, 2001
      hmmmm, that's an intersteing point.  they could be open feats, but could you code it so that a feat has an optional points cost?  like, you get so many for free depending on your level, class, and race, but can buy extra ones with skills points (if the option is enabled).  It would also HAVE to support negative points cost, cause flaws give you MORE points.  This, i think, would require a code change.
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 3, 2001
        Actually, it wouldn't take much to get this to work using the
        DEFINE:name|mod and PREVAR: on feats. You might be able to get this
        to work now with a little creativity.
        On the race you could DEFINE:AdvantagePoints|2+CHA (suppose the race
        starts out with 2 + their charisma mod)
        On a class you could add BONUS:AdvantagePoints|3 to indicate they get
        3 additional points.
        On a feat you could have PREVAR:AdvantagePoints|4 (meaning they must
        have at least 4 AdvantagePoints to qualify for this feat) and
        BONUS:VAR|AdvantagePoints|-4 (meaning they lost 4 AdvantagePoints for
        selecting this feat). I don't think this will work for feats you can
        take multiple times as it now stands.
        You could display the number of AdvantagePoints left on your
        charactersheet by |VAR.AdvantagePoints|

        It's a request that I haven't done yet to convert feats into skill
        points. There's no mechanism for going the other way. You could
        create a new skill and not make it a class skill for anyone, and on
        the skill line add BONUS:VAR|AdvantagePoints|2 (or -2 or whatever)
        and that way have adding a rank of that skill affect the
        AdvantagePoints total. Like with feats, there's no way currently to
        multiply the total by the number of times you have it (ranks, in this
        case).

        So this gets you about 90% of what you want - if I understand what
        you're wanting, that is.

        -Bryan

        Service.
      • mynex2k1@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 28 9:56 PM
          Can we please have some documentation on the "Calls" to the csheets?

          I'm going nuts here!

          Mynex
        • mythic@mythic.f9.co.uk
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 10, 2001
            Is there anyway of adding to a spell description the book and Pg ie
            PHB21 MoF33 etc. Would make life much easier..Sounds like loads of
            work though...
          • Mark Hulsman
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 10, 2001
              > Is there anyway of adding to a spell description the book and Pg ie
              > PHB21 MoF33 etc. Would make life much easier..Sounds like loads of
              > work though...

              Yes, you use the SOURCE tag. People are already working on this, I don't
              know how far along they are, but I'm sure they could use help.
            • Mark Hulsman
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 19, 2001
                > > If i could code it, i would. as for the benifit, you could see ALL the
                > > information for about 5 characters, as opposed to SOME Of the
                information of
                > > about 14 characters. and i've always liked being able to run across a
                row
                > > of stats. it just seems to flow easier from left to right as opposed to
                top
                > > to bottom.
                >
                > :) well, I disagree - the standard form for any lists of things are rows,
                not columns. But, more power to you, if you can convince someone else...

                Rows are definitely standard. The Japanese write in columns instead of
                rows, but we aren't Japanese and don't have Japanese programming tools. The
                Java table classes are designed for rows, so adding it in columns would
                require a ton of work for very little real value. Its very simple to look
                at 1 column and see everyone's stats as rows tend to be thinner than
                columns.
              • Damian
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 20, 2001
                  > > If i could code it, i would.  as for the benifit, you
                  could see ALL the
                  > > information for about 5 characters, as opposed to
                  SOME Of the
                  information of
                  > > about 14 characters.  and i've
                  always liked being able to run across a
                  row
                  > > of stats.  it
                  just seems to flow easier from left to right as opposed to
                  top

                  to bottom.

                  > :) well, I disagree - the standard form for any lists
                  of things are rows,
                  not columns. But, more power to you, if you can convince someone else...

                  Rows are definitely standard.  The Japanese write in columns instead of
                  rows, but we aren't Japanese and don't have Japanese programming tools.  The
                  Java table classes are designed for rows, so adding it in columns would
                  require a ton of work for very little real value.  Its very simple to look
                  at 1 column and see everyone's stats as rows tend to be thinner than
                  columns.

                   Not a lot of work.  just redefining how PCGen sees things.  instead of each row being a character, each row becomes a statistic.  the first becomes name, the second, Hit points, etc.  and you're  STILL reading across.  you wanna know the initiatives for all the characters?   go to the initiative row and read across.  that would STILL let you sort by the fields, and I think it'd be more intuitive.  set up a spreadsheet and try it some time.
                • Brass Tilde
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 20, 2001

                    It *would* be a lot of work in terms of coding. It would mean one of two
                    things. Either finding, or building, a component whose orientation was
                    configurable (the complexity wouldn't be worth it for the gain, IMNECTHO),
                    or creating a separate component that uses a vertical orientation. The
                    latter is a much simpler task, but still not in any way trivial.

                    My background in programming is such that I consider user requests to be
                    paramount. The amount of programmer work only comes into play when
                    determining cost vs. benefit; convenience is not the issue.

                    That said, and not in any way trying to denigrate what you've suggested
                    (after all, if it weren't important, or at lease significant to you, you
                    wouldn't have suggested it), I don't think the gain is worth the investment
                    in time and effort on the part of the programmers.

                    Brass

                  • Damian
                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 20, 2001
                      :>My background in programming is such that I consider user requests to be
                      :>paramount. The amount of programmer work only comes into play when
                      :>determining cost vs. benefit; convenience is not the issue.
                      :>
                      :>That said, and not in any way trying to denigrate what you've suggested
                      :>(after all, if it weren't important, or at lease significant to you, you
                      :>wouldn't have suggested it), I don't think the gain is worth the investment
                      :>in time and effort on the part of the programmers.
                      :>
                      :>Brass

                      I still don't think so, but since i'm not the one that's programming it I'll let it drop.
                    • Rodney Cherry
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 22, 2001
                        Any of the coders or xml experts familiar with www.rondaksportal.com?
                        The owner of the site is wishing to implement an xml import of pcgen characters to his online character sheet system. Its a great place to rpg on the web and think it would benifit both his site and the pcgen effort if we could get it to work. I believe he has already talked with the mad monk a little on this.
                        I figured I would ask here to see if anyone wanted to help him. His site is java intense and he is a very capable coder himself since he is the only one coding it. I am hoping that if someone on this side helps him out we'll have someone in house who can make sure the import feature on his site will always stay compatible.
                      • Dave Fallon
                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 22, 2001
                          On Sun, Sep 23, 2001 at 01:29:15AM -0400, Rodney Cherry wrote:
                          > Any of the coders or xml experts familiar with www.rondaksportal.com?
                          > The owner of the site is wishing to implement an xml import of pcgen characters to his online character sheet system. Its a great place to rpg on the web and think it would benifit both his site and the pcgen effort if we could get it to work. I believe he has already talked with the mad monk a little on this.
                          > I figured I would ask here to see if anyone wanted to help him. His site is java intense and he is a very capable coder himself since he is the only one coding it. I am hoping that if someone on this side helps him out we'll have someone in house who can make sure the import feature on his site will always stay compatible.

                          I'd just like to throw in that I'm a huge fan of getting an xml format going for PCs - this will make a ton of things easier, esp for me as a DM - it will be much easier for me to copy a character (an orc, say), and then make changes... and it will be far more reasonable for us to embed fragments of the LST files in player characters... dang. The list of things that this would be cool for goes on and on... :) I'm sure I don't have to sell anyone on the benefits, though. I think I've thrown this out there before, but I'll do it again - if someone more knowledgeable in the file format or java's XML handling stuff wants to spearhead things, I'm happy to start doing the gruntwork of a conversion....

                          dave
                        • merton_monk@yahoo.com
                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 23, 2001
                            Yes - he has contacted me. I believe the extent of the xml was using
                            a charactersheet, similar to the OpenRPG character sheet, to create a
                            save file that his program could then import. This wouldn't be a
                            replacement for our pcg files - since PCGen calculates a lot of
                            things on the fly, a charactersheet export in xml is probably more
                            useful to him than what's saved in the pcg files (even after it's
                            converted to xml). His website is very cool and is definitely
                            something I'd be interested in contributing to if all my free time
                            wasn't already spoken for. ;)

                            -Bryan

                            Message 13 of 21 , Sep 23, 2001
                              --- In pcgen@y..., Dave Fallon <davef@t...> wrote:
                              > On Sun, Sep 23, 2001 at 01:29:15AM -0400, Rodney Cherry wrote:
                              > > Any of the coders or xml experts familiar with
                              www.rondaksportal.com?
                              > > The owner of the site is wishing to implement an xml import of
                              pcgen characters to his online character sheet system. Its a great
                              place to rpg on the web and think it would benifit both his site and
                              the pcgen effort if we could get it to work. I believe he has already
                              talked with the mad monk a little on this.
                              > > I figured I would ask here to see if anyone wanted to help him.
                              His site is java intense and he is a very capable coder himself since
                              he is the only one coding it. I am hoping that if someone on this
                              side helps him out we'll have someone in house who can make sure the
                              import feature on his site will always stay compatible.

                              > I'd just like to throw in that I'm a huge fan of getting an xml
                              format going for PCs - this will make a ton of things easier, esp for
                              me as a DM - it will be much easier for me to copy a character (an
                              orc, say), and then make changes... and it will be far more
                              reasonable for us to embed fragments of the LST files in player
                              characters... dang. The list of things that this would be cool for
                              goes on and on... :) I'm sure I don't have to sell anyone on the
                              benefits, though. I think I've thrown this out there before, but I'll
                              do it again - if someone more knowledgeable in the file format or
                              java's XML handling stuff wants to spearhead things, I'm happy to
                              start doing the gruntwork of a conversion....

                              My knowledge of xml is fairly rudimentary. I know the format, but
                              I've never worked with any kind of parser in java for it. Gryphon
                              has put a good bit of effort into the existing xml files, and I think
                              binkley did some of the original work on it. There are others on the
                              team who are far more knowledgeable about xml, and whether we should
                              go the schema route or not - I've been way too busy to follow it real
                              closely - certainly not as closely as I'd like. I'd like someone to
                              take a serious stab at converting our data files to xml - maybe even
                              if we just took them a class at a time. Like start off with all the
                              races done in xml, then the next release we have all the skills, or
                              whatever. We could still read in the traditional lst files, but all
                              future releases and enhancement should focus on the xml format. I
                              think for the average user that things being in xml will actually
                              make things more intuitive, since the labels will help make it clear
                              what the different data bits are - even more so than the comments
                              that mynex has so graciously added to the data files.

                              My one concern about converting to xml is that the download size of
                              PCGen will skyrocket. I suppose that depends on what route we take,
                              but hopefully that will be more clear when someone decides to take
                              this bull by the horn. I just haven't been pressing this because I'd
                              like to get rid of all the bugs and add features that are roadblocks
                              to other conversion efforts. Just my priorities... ;)

                              -Bryan

                              > dave
                            • Peter Kahle
                              Message 14 of 21 , Sep 23, 2001
                                Just a note on the XML conversion stuff. One idea that we might want to
                                keep in mind is the suggested MOD feature from a while back might be
                                able to be handled by using a XSL style sheet to transform the original
                                XML file on-load. I was holding off on mentioning this to avoid opening
                                a can of worms when there's enough to do already, but since Bryan
                                brought it up...

                                I've been trying to figure out what's going on with the Feats problems,
                                but I haven't gotten anywhere near to figuring it out, really. More
                                about that in another message.
                                Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary
                                safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.
                                -- Ben Franklin
                                || Peter M Kahle Jr || PGP Public Key on Keyservers ||
                                || pkahle@... || http://pops.dyndns.com/~pkahle/ ||
                                ##===============================##======================================##
                              • Fraser MacKenzie
                                Message 15 of 21 , Sep 24, 2001
                                  Rodney, while my site does have java, and a lot of javascript, it is
                                  mostly done in both C and PERL (in the back-end). However, I am a capable
                                  java coder, and do have a lot of experience in JSP.

                                  Fraser (aka Rondak).

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Sep 24, 2001
                                    It was originally going to be an import...however, what I may have to do,
                                    is create soemthing that actually works with your code. Can you create
                                    custom non-d20 sytsems (for those that don't play on the new d20
                                    system)? Because the site is as generic as possible, I have to try to
                                    provide a generic character generation program. Now, what I may have to
                                    do, is provide two methods of character creation. One for d20, on for the
                                    others....

                                    I haven't looked yet, but is the code for pcgen freely available? If so,
                                    I might have a look at it to see what I can do with respect to this.

                                    Fraser

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Sep 24, 2001
                                      > It was originally going to be an import...however, what I may have to do,
                                      > is create soemthing that actually works with your code. Can you create
                                      > custom non-d20 sytsems (for those that don't play on the new d20
                                      > system)? Because the site is as generic as possible, I have to try to
                                      > provide a generic character generation program. Now, what I may have to
                                      > do, is provide two methods of character creation. One for d20, on for the
                                      > others....

                                      PC Gen creates only d20 characters. You can import from the character file,
                                      but it only contains limited information, most of the stuff is in lst files
                                      that are read to get what bonuses the character gets for everything he has.

                                      Yes its available at http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/
                                    • merton_monk@yahoo.com
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Sep 24, 2001
                                        PCGen is open source - you can get it via cvs (unless your name is
                                        Arcady or Mynex, apparently...) from pcgen.sourceforge.net. PCGen
                                        isn't really tied to just d20 characters - it more or less assumes
                                        you have feats,domains,spells, etc. available. The only dice that
                                        are 'rolled' are for stat generation (though you can use purchase
                                        methods) and HP generation (though you can use a straight %). So
                                        PCGen doesn't actually use and d20s. ;)

                                        Feel free to look at the code, and if there are some code changes
                                        that would make your work much easier, let me know.

                                        -Bryan

                                      • rodac@etrucker.com
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Sep 24, 2001
                                          the pcgen sourceforge site has the cvs repository of the src for
                                          pcgen. you can either look at the files via their online repository
                                          browser. Or you can do a good old cvs grab. Lots of people have had
                                          pproblems getting into sourceforges cvs though. I do the anonymous
                                          pserver login to cvs and am able to grab everything fine using the
                                          cygwin environment. I doubt you'll have any problems though :)