Re: Request

  • mocha@mcs.net
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 3, 2001
      The ability to modify special abilities and such has been on my list
      for a long time - due to my prioritizing fixing bugs and getting d20
      material supported, I simply haven't gotten to that kind of
      functionality. I'll put out a release today that will fix the
      Loremaster problem Arcady has been having, and with that fix if the
      advantages/disadvantages you mention could be coded as BONUS tags,
      then you could modify your pcg file to add them in until I get to the
      point where you can add them through the interface. I'm assuming that
      the advantages/disadvantages will impact things the BONUS tags can
      alter - like chance to hit, saving throws, stats, etc.
      I'm glad you enjoy PCGen, and I certainly wouldn't mind adding
      functionality that would make it even more useful! :)

      -Bryan

      --- In pcgen@y..., HODGSON Matthew <matthew.hodgson@a...> wrote:
      > I've been using PCGen for a while now, and love it to pieces. But
      there are
      > some things I would like to see added that would, IMHO, make it
      more useful
      > to me (and perhaps some others).
      >
      > I like, very much, the old White Wolf (eg. Vampire the Masquerade)
      > "Background" Advantages and Disadvantages lists. When creating a
      character,
      > I always found it made things a little more well-rounded,
      particularly when
      > it came to things like Resources, Mentor, Phobias, etc. and it gave
      you
      > points to spend elsewhere (like on cool advantages).
      >
      > Skills and Powers seemed to attempt to go in that direction also,
      but it was
      > not included in 3e. I still use them, however, but currently have
      to do this
      > by hand, adding it after the PCGen software has finished with
      everything
      > else - the current bios section is ok, but I need it to be more
      extensive.

      > Would there be a way to expand the current section on the character
      bios to
      > include a check for advantages, disadvantages and other background
      lists
      > contained in .lst documents? A points system wouldn't need to go
      along with
      > it, just the ability to reference lists and add them to your
      character.

      > Perhaps if people have custom fields they want to add, you could
      just have a
      > 'custom' tab with some custom field variables lists that go with
      them?

      > M:-)
    • Damian
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 3, 2001
        hmmmm, that's an intersteing point.  they could be open feats, but could you code it so that a feat has an optional points cost?  like, you get so many for free depending on your level, class, and race, but can buy extra ones with skills points (if the option is enabled).  It would also HAVE to support negative points cost, cause flaws give you MORE points.  This, i think, would require a code change.

      • mocha@mcs.net
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 3, 2001
          Actually, it wouldn't take much to get this to work using the
          DEFINE:name|mod and PREVAR: on feats. You might be able to get this
          to work now with a little creativity.
          On the race you could DEFINE:AdvantagePoints|2+CHA (suppose the race
          starts out with 2 + their charisma mod)
          On a class you could add BONUS:AdvantagePoints|3 to indicate they get
          3 additional points.
          On a feat you could have PREVAR:AdvantagePoints|4 (meaning they must
          have at least 4 AdvantagePoints to qualify for this feat) and
          BONUS:VAR|AdvantagePoints|-4 (meaning they lost 4 AdvantagePoints for
          selecting this feat). I don't think this will work for feats you can
          take multiple times as it now stands.
          You could display the number of AdvantagePoints left on your
          charactersheet by |VAR.AdvantagePoints|

          It's a request that I haven't done yet to convert feats into skill
          points. There's no mechanism for going the other way. You could
          create a new skill and not make it a class skill for anyone, and on
          the skill line add BONUS:VAR|AdvantagePoints|2 (or -2 or whatever)
          and that way have adding a rank of that skill affect the
          AdvantagePoints total. Like with feats, there's no way currently to
          multiply the total by the number of times you have it (ranks, in this
          case).

          So this gets you about 90% of what you want - if I understand what
          you're wanting, that is.

          -Bryan

          Service.
        • mynex2k1@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 28, 2001
            Can we please have some documentation on the "Calls" to the csheets?

            I'm going nuts here!

            Mynex
          • mythic@mythic.f9.co.uk
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 10, 2001
              Is there anyway of adding to a spell description the book and Pg ie
              PHB21 MoF33 etc. Would make life much easier..Sounds like loads of
              work though...
            • Mark Hulsman
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 10, 2001
                > Is there anyway of adding to a spell description the book and Pg ie
                > PHB21 MoF33 etc. Would make life much easier..Sounds like loads of
                > work though...

                Yes, you use the SOURCE tag. People are already working on this, I don't
                know how far along they are, but I'm sure they could use help.
              • Mark Hulsman
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 19, 2001
                  > > If i could code it, i would. as for the benifit, you could see ALL the
                  > > information for about 5 characters, as opposed to SOME Of the
                  information of
                  > > about 14 characters. and i've always liked being able to run across a
                  row
                  > > of stats. it just seems to flow easier from left to right as opposed to
                  top
                  > > to bottom.
                  >
                  > :) well, I disagree - the standard form for any lists of things are rows,
                  not columns. But, more power to you, if you can convince someone else...

                  Rows are definitely standard. The Japanese write in columns instead of
                  rows, but we aren't Japanese and don't have Japanese programming tools. The
                  Java table classes are designed for rows, so adding it in columns would
                  require a ton of work for very little real value. Its very simple to look
                  at 1 column and see everyone's stats as rows tend to be thinner than
                  columns.
                • Damian
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 20, 2001
                    > > If i could code it, i would.  as for the benifit, you
                    could see ALL the
                    > > information for about 5 characters, as opposed to
                    SOME Of the
                    information of
                    > > about 14 characters.  and i've
                    always liked being able to run across a
                    row
                    > > of stats.  it
                    just seems to flow easier from left to right as opposed to
                    top

                    to bottom.

                    > :) well, I disagree - the standard form for any lists
                    of things are rows,
                    not columns. But, more power to you, if you can convince someone else...

                    Rows are definitely standard.  The Japanese write in columns instead of
                    rows, but we aren't Japanese and don't have Japanese programming tools.  The
                    Java table classes are designed for rows, so adding it in columns would
                    require a ton of work for very little real value.  Its very simple to look
                    at 1 column and see everyone's stats as rows tend to be thinner than
                    columns.

                     Not a lot of work.  just redefining how PCGen sees things.  instead of each row being a character, each row becomes a statistic.  the first becomes name, the second, Hit points, etc.  and you're  STILL reading across.  you wanna know the initiatives for all the characters?   go to the initiative row and read across.  that would STILL let you sort by the fields, and I think it'd be more intuitive.  set up a spreadsheet and try it some time.
                  • Brass Tilde
                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 20, 2001

                      It *would* be a lot of work in terms of coding. It would mean one of two
                      things. Either finding, or building, a component whose orientation was
                      configurable (the complexity wouldn't be worth it for the gain, IMNECTHO),
                      or creating a separate component that uses a vertical orientation. The
                      latter is a much simpler task, but still not in any way trivial.

                      My background in programming is such that I consider user requests to be
                      paramount. The amount of programmer work only comes into play when
                      determining cost vs. benefit; convenience is not the issue.

                      That said, and not in any way trying to denigrate what you've suggested
                      (after all, if it weren't important, or at lease significant to you, you
                      wouldn't have suggested it), I don't think the gain is worth the investment
                      in time and effort on the part of the programmers.

                      Brass

                    • Damian
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 20, 2001
                        :>My background in programming is such that I consider user requests to be
                        :>paramount. The amount of programmer work only comes into play when
                        :>determining cost vs. benefit; convenience is not the issue.
                        :>
                        :>That said, and not in any way trying to denigrate what you've suggested
                        :>(after all, if it weren't important, or at lease significant to you, you
                        :>wouldn't have suggested it), I don't think the gain is worth the investment
                        :>in time and effort on the part of the programmers.
                        :>
                        :>Brass

                        I still don't think so, but since i'm not the one that's programming it I'll let it drop.
                      • Rodney Cherry
                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 22, 2001
                          Any of the coders or xml experts familiar with www.rondaksportal.com?
                          The owner of the site is wishing to implement an xml import of pcgen characters to his online character sheet system. Its a great place to rpg on the web and think it would benifit both his site and the pcgen effort if we could get it to work. I believe he has already talked with the mad monk a little on this.
                          I figured I would ask here to see if anyone wanted to help him. His site is java intense and he is a very capable coder himself since he is the only one coding it. I am hoping that if someone on this side helps him out we'll have someone in house who can make sure the import feature on his site will always stay compatible.
                        • Dave Fallon
                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 22, 2001
                            On Sun, Sep 23, 2001 at 01:29:15AM -0400, Rodney Cherry wrote:
                            > Any of the coders or xml experts familiar with www.rondaksportal.com?
                            > The owner of the site is wishing to implement an xml import of pcgen characters to his online character sheet system. Its a great place to rpg on the web and think it would benifit both his site and the pcgen effort if we could get it to work. I believe he has already talked with the mad monk a little on this.
                            > I figured I would ask here to see if anyone wanted to help him. His site is java intense and he is a very capable coder himself since he is the only one coding it. I am hoping that if someone on this side helps him out we'll have someone in house who can make sure the import feature on his site will always stay compatible.

                            I'd just like to throw in that I'm a huge fan of getting an xml format going for PCs - this will make a ton of things easier, esp for me as a DM - it will be much easier for me to copy a character (an orc, say), and then make changes... and it will be far more reasonable for us to embed fragments of the LST files in player characters... dang. The list of things that this would be cool for goes on and on... :) I'm sure I don't have to sell anyone on the benefits, though. I think I've thrown this out there before, but I'll do it again - if someone more knowledgeable in the file format or java's XML handling stuff wants to spearhead things, I'm happy to start doing the gruntwork of a conversion....

                            dave
                          • merton_monk@yahoo.com
                            Message 13 of 21 , Sep 23, 2001
                              Yes - he has contacted me. I believe the extent of the xml was using
                              a charactersheet, similar to the OpenRPG character sheet, to create a
                              save file that his program could then import. This wouldn't be a
                              replacement for our pcg files - since PCGen calculates a lot of
                              things on the fly, a charactersheet export in xml is probably more
                              useful to him than what's saved in the pcg files (even after it's
                              converted to xml). His website is very cool and is definitely
                              something I'd be interested in contributing to if all my free time
                              wasn't already spoken for. ;)

                              -Bryan

                              Message 14 of 21 , Sep 23, 2001
                                --- In pcgen@y..., Dave Fallon <davef@t...> wrote:
                                > On Sun, Sep 23, 2001 at 01:29:15AM -0400, Rodney Cherry wrote:
                                > > Any of the coders or xml experts familiar with
                                www.rondaksportal.com?
                                > > The owner of the site is wishing to implement an xml import of
                                pcgen characters to his online character sheet system. Its a great
                                place to rpg on the web and think it would benifit both his site and
                                the pcgen effort if we could get it to work. I believe he has already
                                talked with the mad monk a little on this.
                                > > I figured I would ask here to see if anyone wanted to help him.
                                His site is java intense and he is a very capable coder himself since
                                he is the only one coding it. I am hoping that if someone on this
                                side helps him out we'll have someone in house who can make sure the
                                import feature on his site will always stay compatible.

                                > I'd just like to throw in that I'm a huge fan of getting an xml
                                format going for PCs - this will make a ton of things easier, esp for
                                me as a DM - it will be much easier for me to copy a character (an
                                orc, say), and then make changes... and it will be far more
                                reasonable for us to embed fragments of the LST files in player
                                characters... dang. The list of things that this would be cool for
                                goes on and on... :) I'm sure I don't have to sell anyone on the
                                benefits, though. I think I've thrown this out there before, but I'll
                                do it again - if someone more knowledgeable in the file format or
                                java's XML handling stuff wants to spearhead things, I'm happy to
                                start doing the gruntwork of a conversion....

                                My knowledge of xml is fairly rudimentary. I know the format, but
                                I've never worked with any kind of parser in java for it. Gryphon
                                has put a good bit of effort into the existing xml files, and I think
                                binkley did some of the original work on it. There are others on the
                                team who are far more knowledgeable about xml, and whether we should
                                go the schema route or not - I've been way too busy to follow it real
                                closely - certainly not as closely as I'd like. I'd like someone to
                                take a serious stab at converting our data files to xml - maybe even
                                if we just took them a class at a time. Like start off with all the
                                races done in xml, then the next release we have all the skills, or
                                whatever. We could still read in the traditional lst files, but all
                                future releases and enhancement should focus on the xml format. I
                                think for the average user that things being in xml will actually
                                make things more intuitive, since the labels will help make it clear
                                what the different data bits are - even more so than the comments
                                that mynex has so graciously added to the data files.

                                My one concern about converting to xml is that the download size of
                                PCGen will skyrocket. I suppose that depends on what route we take,
                                but hopefully that will be more clear when someone decides to take
                                this bull by the horn. I just haven't been pressing this because I'd
                                like to get rid of all the bugs and add features that are roadblocks
                                to other conversion efforts. Just my priorities... ;)

                                -Bryan

                                > dave
                              • Peter Kahle
                                Message 15 of 21 , Sep 23, 2001
                                  Just a note on the XML conversion stuff. One idea that we might want to
                                  keep in mind is the suggested MOD feature from a while back might be
                                  able to be handled by using a XSL style sheet to transform the original
                                  XML file on-load. I was holding off on mentioning this to avoid opening
                                  a can of worms when there's enough to do already, but since Bryan
                                  brought it up...

                                  I've been trying to figure out what's going on with the Feats problems,
                                  but I haven't gotten anywhere near to figuring it out, really. More
                                  about that in another message.
                                  Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary
                                  safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.
                                  -- Ben Franklin
                                  || Peter M Kahle Jr || PGP Public Key on Keyservers ||
                                  || pkahle@... || http://pops.dyndns.com/~pkahle/ ||
                                  ##===============================##======================================##
                                • Fraser MacKenzie
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Sep 24, 2001
                                    Rodney, while my site does have java, and a lot of javascript, it is
                                    mostly done in both C and PERL (in the back-end). However, I am a capable
                                    java coder, and do have a lot of experience in JSP.

                                    Fraser (aka Rondak).

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Sep 24, 2001
                                      It was originally going to be an import...however, what I may have to do,
                                      is create soemthing that actually works with your code. Can you create
                                      custom non-d20 sytsems (for those that don't play on the new d20
                                      system)? Because the site is as generic as possible, I have to try to
                                      provide a generic character generation program. Now, what I may have to
                                      do, is provide two methods of character creation. One for d20, on for the
                                      others....

                                      I haven't looked yet, but is the code for pcgen freely available? If so,
                                      I might have a look at it to see what I can do with respect to this.

                                      Fraser

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Sep 24, 2001
                                        > It was originally going to be an import...however, what I may have to do,
                                        > is create soemthing that actually works with your code. Can you create
                                        > custom non-d20 sytsems (for those that don't play on the new d20
                                        > system)? Because the site is as generic as possible, I have to try to
                                        > provide a generic character generation program. Now, what I may have to
                                        > do, is provide two methods of character creation. One for d20, on for the
                                        > others....

                                        PC Gen creates only d20 characters. You can import from the character file,
                                        but it only contains limited information, most of the stuff is in lst files
                                        that are read to get what bonuses the character gets for everything he has.

                                        Yes its available at http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/
                                      • merton_monk@yahoo.com
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Sep 24, 2001
                                          PCGen is open source - you can get it via cvs (unless your name is
                                          Arcady or Mynex, apparently...) from pcgen.sourceforge.net. PCGen
                                          isn't really tied to just d20 characters - it more or less assumes
                                          you have feats,domains,spells, etc. available. The only dice that
                                          are 'rolled' are for stat generation (though you can use purchase
                                          methods) and HP generation (though you can use a straight %). So
                                          PCGen doesn't actually use and d20s. ;)

                                          Feel free to look at the code, and if there are some code changes
                                          that would make your work much easier, let me know.

                                          -Bryan

                                        • rodac@etrucker.com
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Sep 24, 2001
                                            the pcgen sourceforge site has the cvs repository of the src for
                                            pcgen. you can either look at the files via their online repository
                                            browser. Or you can do a good old cvs grab. Lots of people have had
                                            pproblems getting into sourceforges cvs though. I do the anonymous
                                            pserver login to cvs and am able to grab everything fine using the
                                            cygwin environment. I doubt you'll have any problems though :)