Crash bugs

  • pjak@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2001
      Being a tad bored today, I figured I'd go about idiot-testing the
      program. ;-)

      So, without further ado, a few sure ways to end the program rather
      abruptly:

      Setup for all errors is to load suitable campaign and create a new
      character.

      Stats tab:
      Click 'Unlimited pool' (or otherwise make sure you have points in the
      pool.) Clear out either of the 'Initial stat' edit boxes and then
      raise/lower a stat.
      java.lang.NumberFormatException:
      at java/lang/Integer.parseInt
      at java/lang/Integer.<init>
      at PCGen.plusMinusButton_click

      Classes tab:
      Entering anything that isn't a number (or a negative number) into
      the 'Max HP%' edit box.
      java.lang.NumberFormatException:
      at java/lang/Integer.parseInt
      at java/lang/Integer.<init>
      at PCGen.hpPctText_textChanged

      Skills tab:
      Enter a '-' into the 'Total Skill Points Left' edit box.
      java.lang.NumberFormatException: -
      at java/lang/Integer.parseInt
      at java/lang/Integer.<init>
      at PCGen.skillPoolText_textChanged

      Spells tab:
      Make a cleric and give him a domain, enter anything into the text box
      of the Type dropdown, choose a spell on the righthand list, click the
      remove button.
      java.lang.NullPointerException
      at PCGen.repopulateSpellListComboBox
      at PCGen.spellSubButton_click

      Profile tab:
      Delete the value in the Height, Weight or Age edit boxes and tab away
      from it.
      java.lang.NumberFormatException:
      at java/lang/Integer.parseInt
      at java/lang/Integer.<init>
      at PCGen.heightText_leave (or weight, or age)

      Items tab:
      Delete the value in the Gold edit box (or enter a non-numeric value).
      java.lang.NumberFormatException:
      at java/lang/Double.valueOf0
      at java/lang/Float.valueOf
      at java/lang/Float.<init>
      at PlayerCharacter.setGold
      at PCGen.gold_textChanged

      /Jonas, a better class of idiot (as in, 'As soon as I make it idiot-
      proof, someone goes and invents a better class of idiot ' ;-)
    • mocha@mcs.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2001
        Heh - thanks for finding these! It warms my heart to know that people
        are idiot-testing PCGen for me... ;)

        -Bryan

      • Moulton, Ernie Mr USAREC
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 2, 2001
          Making a program work properly is always difficult to some degree. Making
          it idiot proof is a whole new ball game... :)
          Some years ago, a fellow worker came to me with a problem. He was making a
          data entry function for his group, using a dBase2 (that doesnt exist
          anymore, except on a few diskettes --like mine). His program was too big to
          fit in memory or on diskette. (No hard disk in those days--does that date
          me? :}) Reason: idiot proofing. He had built elaborate checking routines
          for every entry, to ensure only numbers greater than 0 and less then 32000,
          or only letters, or only Capital First letters, etc. And then indexed every
          item in every conceivable way. The indexes were bigger than the files.....

          Ernie Moulton
          E-Mail Administrator **
          ACS / HQ USAREC
          502 626-1664 FAX 502 626-0994

          Si tu dixero, necesse erit ut tu interficiam.

          mailto:moulton@...

          --- In pcgen@y..., pjak@y... wrote:
          > Being a tad bored today, I figured I'd go about idiot-testing the
          > program. ;-)
          >
          > So, without further ado, a few sure ways to end the program rather
          > abruptly:
          >
          > Setup for all errors is to load suitable campaign and create a new
          > character.
          >
          > Stats tab:
          > Click 'Unlimited pool' (or otherwise make sure you have points in the
          > pool.) Clear out either of the 'Initial stat' edit boxes and then
          > raise/lower a stat.
          > java.lang.NumberFormatException:
          > at java/lang/Integer.parseInt
          > at java/lang/Integer.<init>
          > at PCGen.plusMinusButton_click
          >
          > Classes tab:
          > Entering anything that isn't a number (or a negative number) into
          > the 'Max HP%' edit box.
          > java.lang.NumberFormatException:
          > at java/lang/Integer.parseInt
          > at java/lang/Integer.<init>
          > at PCGen.hpPctText_textChanged
          >
          > Skills tab:
          > Enter a '-' into the 'Total Skill Points Left' edit box.
          > java.lang.NumberFormatException: -
          > at java/lang/Integer.parseInt
          > at java/lang/Integer.<init>
          > at PCGen.skillPoolText_textChanged
          >
          > Spells tab:
          > Make a cleric and give him a domain, enter anything into the text box
          > of the Type dropdown, choose a spell on the righthand list, click the
          > remove button.
          > java.lang.NullPointerException
          > at PCGen.repopulateSpellListComboBox
          > at PCGen.spellSubButton_click
          >
          > Profile tab:
          > Delete the value in the Height, Weight or Age edit boxes and tab away
          > from it.
          > java.lang.NumberFormatException:
          > at java/lang/Integer.parseInt
          > at java/lang/Integer.<init>
          > at PCGen.heightText_leave (or weight, or age)
          >
          > Items tab:
          > Delete the value in the Gold edit box (or enter a non-numeric value).
          > java.lang.NumberFormatException:
          > at java/lang/Double.valueOf0
          > at java/lang/Float.valueOf
          > at java/lang/Float.<init>
          > at PlayerCharacter.setGold
          > at PCGen.gold_textChanged
          >
          > /Jonas, a better class of idiot (as in, 'As soon as I make it idiot-
          > proof, someone goes and invents a better class of idiot ' ;-)

        • STILES, BRAD
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 2, 2001
            RE: [pcgen] Re: Crash bugs

            > Making a program work properly is always difficult to some
            > degree.  Making it idiot proof is a whole new ball game... :)

            Attempting to make a program idiot proof only demostrates that natural selection works - it breeds better idiots to overcome any measures taken in the program.

            Brad