Bracers of Archery

  • micheledn94
    Message 1 of 16 , May 4, 2002
      Okay...

      My monk has these which should give him proficiency with all
      bows...but his Longbow (+4 Mighty Composit) is showing up as not
      proficient and I didn't see it updating to ANY bows on the feats tab
      either.

      For that matter, he's not getting the +2/+1 either...or is that
      eliminated by the fact that he didn't have proficiency with a bow
      without the bracers(DMG pg 211)?

      ...I think I'm done complaining now...

      ;) Shel
    • STILES, BRAD
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 30 11:23 AM
        > I've got some questions about Bracers of Archery. Below is
        > the entry from the LST file, with the tabs turned into line
        > breaks:
        >
        > Bracers of Archery
        > TYPE:Magic.Wondrous.Bracer
        > COST:5100
        > WT:1
        > SOURCEPAGE:p.211
        > BONUS:WEAPONPROF=Longbow (Composite)|TOHIT|2|PREWEAPONPROF:Longbow
        (Composite)|Type=Competence
        > BONUS:WEAPONPROF=Longbow (Composite)|TOHIT|4|PREWEAPONPROF:[Longbow
        (Composite)]|Type=Proficiency

        > <other similar examples lines snipped>

        > How does the above work to do that? I understand the need
        > for multiple WEAPONPROF entries, but why two different types
        > of bonus, and two different values? Why is one set of
        > PREWEAPONPROF wrapped in brackets, and the other not?

        OK, I'm aware that everyone who can probably answer my question is busy with
        the ramp up to production, so where can I look for this information? I
        don't see anything in either the equiplist or bonus sections of the
        Customise.htm about brackets around the PREWEAPONPROF. I'm asking this
        because I don't see anything in the description in the DMG for this item
        that would suggest that there is ever a +4 bonus to anything, nor does this
        item appear to confer such a bonus when I equip it in PCGen. It appears to
        be conferring the +2 bonus just fine, but not the other one.

        Also, and this is a curiosity question only, since the PREWEAPONPROF tag
        says that it allows a list of proficiencies, why wasn't this implemented
        that way? Convenience, readability?

        Thanks,
        Brad
      • Jerry Hill
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 30 11:46 AM
          STILES, BRAD wrote:
          > > I've got some questions about Bracers of Archery. Below is
          > > the entry from the LST file, with the tabs turned into line
          > > breaks:
          > >
          > > Bracers of Archery
          > > TYPE:Magic.Wondrous.Bracer
          > > COST:5100
          > > WT:1
          > > SOURCEPAGE:p.211
          > > BONUS:WEAPONPROF=Longbow (Composite)|TOHIT|2|PREWEAPONPROF:Longbow
          > (Composite)|Type=Competence
          > > BONUS:WEAPONPROF=Longbow (Composite)|TOHIT|4|PREWEAPONPROF:[Longbow
          > (Composite)]|Type=Proficiency
          >
          > > <other similar examples lines snipped>
          >
          > > How does the above work to do that? I understand the need
          > > for multiple WEAPONPROF entries, but why two different types
          > > of bonus, and two different values? Why is one set of
          > > PREWEAPONPROF wrapped in brackets, and the other not?
          >
          > OK, I'm aware that everyone who can probably answer my
          > question is busy with the ramp up to production, so where can
          > I look for this information? I don't see anything in either
          > the equiplist or bonus sections of the Customise.htm about
          > brackets around the PREWEAPONPROF. I'm asking this
          > because I don't see anything in the description in the DMG
          > for this item that would suggest that there is ever a +4
          > bonus to anything, nor does this item appear to confer such
          > a bonus when I equip it in PCGen. It appears to
          > be conferring the +2 bonus just fine, but not the other one.

          I'm not 100% sure, but I think the brackets in 'PREWEAPONPROF:[Longbow
          (Composite)]' mean 'If the character is NOT proficient in Longbow
          (Composite)' grant the following bonus. That would offset a non-proficient
          characters non-proficiency penalty, which I think the bracers are supposed
          to do.

          --
          Jerry Hill
        • Mynex
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 30 11:48 AM
            In short, yes.

            Mynex

            - #1 Evil Assistant to the PCGen Code Monkeys
            - List files & Documentation Silverback
            - RPG Reviews Editor & Reviewer

            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 30 11:54 AM

              Ah, the light goes on! That hadn't even occurred to me. I must have missed
              that portion of the description on the first go-round.

              And the fact that all the "not" entries use the same TYPE means they won't
              stack.

              Thanks.

              > --
              > Jerry Hill

              > ---------------------~-->
              > Will You Find True Love?
              > Will You Meet the One?
              > Free Love Reading by phone!
              > http://us.click.yahoo.com/7dY7FD/R_ZEAA/Ey.GAA/9rHolB/TM

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            • STILES, BRAD
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 30 11:56 AM

                Thanks, Mynex. Did I completely miss that little gem in the docs, or is it
                just not there yet?

                Brad
              • mark_hulsman
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 30 12:10 PM
                  > Also, and this is a curiosity question only, since the
                  PREWEAPONPROF tag
                  > says that it allows a list of proficiencies, why wasn't this
                  implemented
                  > that way? Convenience, readability?

                  The reason that each type of bow has 2 seperate bonus tags is because
                  each has to be handled individually. Some characters could be
                  proficient in only one or two bows, so they get bonuses to hit with
                  those and become proficient with the others.
                • Mynex

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 30 12:28 PM

                      OK, but couldn't that still be implemented with only two separate bonus
                      tags?

                      For instance instead of this (names shortened for space reasons),

                      BONUS:WEAPONPROF=Bow1|TOHIT|2|PREWEAPONPROF:Bow1|Type=Competence
                      BONUS:WEAPONPROF=Bow1|TOHIT|4|PREWEAPONPROF:[Bow1]|Type=Proficiency
                      BONUS:WEAPONPROF=Bow2|TOHIT|2|PREWEAPONPROF:Bow2|Type=Competence
                      BONUS:WEAPONPROF=Bow2|TOHIT|4|PREWEAPONPROF:[Bow2]|Type=Proficiency

                      could it have been done like this:

                      BONUS:WEAPONPROF=Bow1,Bow2|TOHIT|2|PREWEAPONPROF:Bow1,Bow2|Type=Competence

                      BONUS:WEAPONPROF=Bow1,Bow2|TOHIT|4|PREWEAPONPROF:[Bow1,Bow2]|Type=Proficienc

                      Or does WEAPONPROF only take one entry? If so, does it make sense to allow
                      WEAPONPROF to have a list?

                      Brad
                    • merton_monk
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 30 12:37 PM
                        Not currently. Only the second parameter of a BONUS tag can be comma
                        delimited. What you are suggesting makes a lot of sense and wouldn't
                        be hard to do... but not before the production release! ;)

                        -Bryan

                        --- In pcgen@y..., "STILES, BRAD" <BRAD.STILES@s...> wrote:
> [...]
                      • m00man
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 30 12:44 PM
                          > Not currently. Only the second parameter of a BONUS tag can be comma
                          > delimited. What you are suggesting makes a lot of sense and wouldn't
                          > be hard to do... but not before the production release! ;)

                          BONUS:WEAPONPROF=Bow1,Bow2|TOHIT|2|PREWEAPONPROF:Bow1,Bow2|Type=Competence

                          > > BONUS:WEAPONPROF=Bow1,Bow2|TOHIT|4|PREWEAPONPROF:[Bow1,Bow2]
                          > |Type=Proficiency
                          > >
                          > > Or does WEAPONPROF only take one entry? If so, does it make sense
                          to allow
                          > > WEAPONPROF to have a list?
                          > >
                          > > Brad

                          Does this need to be added as a FREQ or is it now committed to memory
                          by Brad and Bryan? I'll add it if need be...
                        • merton_monk
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 30 1:06 PM
                            --- In pcgen@y..., "m00man" <brian_bloom@y...> wrote:
                            > --- In pcgen@y..., "merton_monk" <merton_monk@y...> wrote:
                            > > Not currently. Only the second parameter of a BONUS tag can be
                            comma
                            > > delimited. What you are suggesting makes a lot of sense and
                            wouldn't
                            > > be hard to do... but not before the production release! ;)

                            BONUS:WEAPONPROF=Bow1,Bow2|TOHIT|2|PREWEAPONPROF:Bow1,Bow2|Type=Compet
                            ence

                            > > > BONUS:WEAPONPROF=Bow1,Bow2|TOHIT|4|PREWEAPONPROF:[Bow1,Bow2]
                            > > |Type=Proficiency
                            > > >
                            > > > Or does WEAPONPROF only take one entry? If so, does it make
                            sense
                            > to allow
                            > > > WEAPONPROF to have a list?
                            > > >
                            > > > Brad
                            >
                            > Does this need to be added as a FREQ or is it now committed to
                            memory
                            > by Brad and Bryan? I'll add it if need be...

                            Please add it... after putting in all the extra time to get this
                            production release in shape I don't trust my mind to remember
                            anything. Or maybe it's a symptom of being over the age of 30. :)

                            -Bryan
                          • m00man
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 30 1:23 PM
                              > > Does this need to be added as a FREQ or is it now committed to
                              > > memory by Brad and Bryan? I'll add it if need be...
                              >
                              > Please add it... after putting in all the extra time to get this
                              > production release in shape I don't trust my mind to remember
                              > anything. Or maybe it's a symptom of being over the age of 30. :)
                              >
                              > -Bryan

                              Done. FREQ #588760
                            • mark_hulsman
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 30 2:10 PM
                                It would be good to add that, but it still needs to be seperate in
                                the Bracers of Archery. Because for each bow you either become prof
                                in it or you get a bonus to hit. So if they were all grouped
                                together and you were proficient in one, you would get a +2 to hit
                                with all of them. But still get the penalty on the non proficient
                                ones.

                                > Not currently. Only the second parameter of a BONUS tag can be
                                comma
                                > delimited. What you are suggesting makes a lot of sense and
                                wouldn't
                                > be hard to do... but not before the production release! ;)
                                >
                                > > For instance instead of this (names shortened for space reasons),
                                > >

                                > BONUS:WEAPONPROF=Bow1|TOHIT|2|PREWEAPONPROF:Bow1|Type=Competen
                                > ce
                                > > BONUS:WEAPONPROF=Bow1|TOHIT|4|PREWEAPONPROF:[Bow1]
                                > |Type=Proficiency
                                > >
                                > BONUS:WEAPONPROF=Bow2|TOHIT|2|PREWEAPONPROF:Bow2|Type=Competen
                                > ce
                                > > BONUS:WEAPONPROF=Bow2|TOHIT|4|PREWEAPONPROF:[Bow2]
                                > |Type=Proficiency
                                > >
                                > > could it have been done like this:

                                BONUS:WEAPONPROF=Bow1,Bow2|TOHIT|2|PREWEAPONPROF:Bow1,Bow2|Type=Compet
                                > ence
                                > >
                                > > BONUS:WEAPONPROF=Bow1,Bow2|TOHIT|4|PREWEAPONPROF:[Bow1,Bow2]
                                > |Type=Proficienc
                                > >
                                > > Or does WEAPONPROF only take one entry? If so, does it make
                                sense
                                > to allow
                                > > WEAPONPROF to have a list?
                                > >
                                > > Brad
                              • Brass Tilde
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jul 30 2:29 PM

                                  Uh, duh. Color me stupid. Thanks.

                                  Brass
                                • Brass Tilde
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jul 31 2:15 PM

                                    Does it apply to all PRExxx tags? If not, to which does it apply, or if the
                                    list is shorter, to which doesn't it apply?

                                    Are the docs all in the PCGen CVS, or are they in PCGen:DM?

                                    Brad