Modifying weapon proficiency for house rule

  • delysawebb
    Message 1 of 4 , May 3, 2002
      I need advice on the easiest way to modify the files to accomodate a
      house rule I'm implementing in the Dragonstar system.

      Specifically, I'm looking at Martial Weapon Proficiency. Under
      current d20 rules, if someone purchases MWP as a feat, they have to
      choose a specific weapon in which they are proficient. This is
      accurately reflected in pcgen. However, in Dragonstar there are
      several different types of grenades, and as per the rules, you'd have
      to buy a separate MWP for each type. I want to change this, since
      the procedure for using a grenade is as follows:

      1. Pull pin.
      2. Throw.
      3. NO THROW THE GRENADE NOT THE PIN YOU DUMB...<bam>

      (My apologies to anyone with real grenade experience for my rather
      simplistic view)

      How can I include an option under MWP to choose a "grenade" option,
      which would then apply to all grenade types? Or, would I have to
      create my own, unique "Grenade Proficiency" feat to do this?

      Advice is greatly appreciated, but I should point out that I am
      relatively new to pcgen, I've only recently started playing around
      with the lst files, and I've got no practical programming experience,
      so the more explicit your instructions, the better. (think "PCGen for
      Dummies") :)

      Del
    • merton_monk
      Message 2 of 4 , May 3, 2002
        Create your own pcc file. Include the headers most already have
        (CAMPAIGN: and GAME: are required). Also have
        EQUIPMENT:myhouserulesequipment.lst
        WEAPONPROF:myhouserulesweaponprof.lst
        call this pcc file myhouserules.lst and place it in the data\custom
        directory (you can place it in any subdirectory of data - even create
        your own subdirectory)
        in the same directory where you place this pcc file, create the file
        myhouserulesequipment.lst and have in it a list of all the grenades
        you want to have the same proficiency. I'll make some up here since I
        don't have the actual names handy....

        Big Grenade.MOD[tab]PROFICIENCY:Grenade
        Little Grenade.MOD[tab]PROFICIENCY:Grenade
        etc.
        the important bits are to have .MOD at the end of the name, and the
        name needs to match the names of the existing items you want to alter.

        in myhouserulesweaponprof.lst you should have
        Grenade[tab]TYPE:Martial[tab]SIZE:S

        The above should do what you want - or get you close to it. Once you
        start PCGen you should see your source in the list of materials on
        the source tab, so load it along with the dragon start stuff.
        Welcome to PCGen! Editing the data files isn't very hard. :)

        -Bryan

        --- In pcgen@y..., "delysawebb" <D-L-Webb@a...> wrote:
        > I need advice on the easiest way to modify the files to accomodate
        > house rule I'm implementing in the Dragonstar system.
        >
        > Specifically, I'm looking at Martial Weapon Proficiency. Under
        > current d20 rules, if someone purchases MWP as a feat, they have to
        > choose a specific weapon in which they are proficient. This is
        > accurately reflected in pcgen. However, in Dragonstar there are
        > several different types of grenades, and as per the rules, you'd
        have
        > to buy a separate MWP for each type. I want to change this, since
        > the procedure for using a grenade is as follows:
        >
        > 1. Pull pin.
        > 2. Throw.
        > 3. NO THROW THE GRENADE NOT THE PIN YOU DUMB...<bam>
        >
        > (My apologies to anyone with real grenade experience for my rather
        > simplistic view)
        >
        > How can I include an option under MWP to choose a "grenade" option,
        > which would then apply to all grenade types? Or, would I have to
        > create my own, unique "Grenade Proficiency" feat to do this?
        >
        > Advice is greatly appreciated, but I should point out that I am
        > relatively new to pcgen, I've only recently started playing around
        > with the lst files, and I've got no practical programming
        experience,
        > so the more explicit your instructions, the better. (think "PCGen
        for
        > Dummies") :)
        >
        > Del
      • Mynex
        Message 3 of 4 , May 3, 2002

          Uhrm, as I remember from Boot Camp and in the field, that's about right.
          ;p

          Mynex

          - #1 Evil assistant to the PCGen Code Monkeys (Code Badgerer)
          - PCGen Document & List File Silverback
          - RPG Reviews - d20 section Editor/Reviewer
        • Keith Davies
          Message 4 of 4 , May 3, 2002
            On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 05:43:10PM -0000, merton_monk wrote:
            > Create your own pcc file. Include the headers most already have
            > (CAMPAIGN: and GAME: are required). Also have
            > EQUIPMENT:myhouserulesequipment.lst
            > WEAPONPROF:myhouserulesweaponprof.lst
            > call this pcc file myhouserules.lst and place it in the data\custom
            > directory (you can place it in any subdirectory of data - even create
            > your own subdirectory)
            > in the same directory where you place this pcc file, create the file
            > myhouserulesequipment.lst and have in it a list of all the grenades
            > you want to have the same proficiency. I'll make some up here since I
            > don't have the actual names handy....
            >
            > Big Grenade.MOD[tab]PROFICIENCY:Grenade
            > Little Grenade.MOD[tab]PROFICIENCY:Grenade
            > etc.
            > the important bits are to have .MOD at the end of the name, and the
            > name needs to match the names of the existing items you want to alter.
            >
            > in myhouserulesweaponprof.lst you should have
            > Grenade[tab]TYPE:Martial[tab]SIZE:S
            >
            > The above should do what you want - or get you close to it. Once you
            > start PCGen you should see your source in the list of materials on
            > the source tab, so load it along with the dragon start stuff.
            > Welcome to PCGen! Editing the data files isn't very hard. :)

            In the XML, I expect to have a weapon-group (or weapon-proficiency, or
            something) that can be used to indicate that several weapons use the
            same proficiency... such as with grenades, or the different types of
            whips (IIRC) and so on. This is in addition to the weapon-lists used to
            classify weapons (Simple, Martial, Exotic, etc... which can change
            between campaigns, or be dropped altogether).

            It's things like this that keep stretching the process out; every time I
            look closely at something I start finding more detail. :/

            Keith
            --
            Keith Davies
            kjdavies@...

            DM : You search the storeroom and find a barrel marked 'elf pudding'.
            Random: Elven pudding! Wonderful stuff. Gimme!
            Dolarn: We're in a goblin lair and it says 'elf pudding'. I wouldn't.
            Random: What?! You mean... <hyuuuurfff>