Re: Ok... stupid FAQ questions.

  • merton_monk
    Message 1 of 17 , May 1, 2002
      The FAQ is at
      http://pedertest.officeline.no/PCGen

      On the Inventory tab, changed the item to "Equipped" to indicate that
      armor is worn, weapons/shields are in-hand, rings are on fingers,
      etc. Carried means just that - somewhere no your person, but not in
      a place where any bonuses for it would be conveyed to you.

      -Bryan

      --- In pcgen@y..., "sleepily" <sleepily@h...> wrote:
      > A) Where's the FAQ?
      > B) The PHB states that encumberance is greater of worn armor, or
      > equipment, but not both. How do I get PC-Gen (2.6.1) to recognize
      > the armor I have is worn?
      >
      > Thanks. (macphee@c...)
    • Stuart Updegrave
      Message 2 of 17 , May 1, 2002
        Could the URL for the FAQ perhaps be added to the main PCGen page, for
        those of us who never notice (until today :) the 'Links' link?

        Thanks.

        [...]
      • rjohnsonpm
        Message 3 of 17 , May 1, 2002
          you can also get to the FAQ by clicking on the + sign in the left
          frame next to Overview, and then select FAQ.

          Webmaster,
          What about having the tree already expanded, thus seeing the FAQ link
          under Overview.

          --- In pcgen@y..., "Stuart Updegrave" <stuart@m...> wrote:

          > Could the URL for the FAQ perhaps be added to the main PCGen page,
          for
          > those of us who never notice (until today :) the 'Links' link?
          >
          > Thanks.

        • Stuart Updegrave
          Message 4 of 17 , May 1, 2002
            I never realized that those items were clickable. They do not provide
            any user feedback on mouseover.

            Interestingly, when I click on them I get a broken image icon.

            Now that I am aware of the pcgenwebsite group, I suppose I should take
            this there.

          • sleepily
            Message 5 of 17 , May 1, 2002
              > The FAQ is at
              > http://pedertest.officeline.no/PCGen

              > On the Inventory tab, changed the item to "Equipped" to indicate
              that
              > armor is worn, weapons/shields are in-hand, rings are on fingers,
              > etc. Carried means just that - somewhere no your person, but not
              in
              > a place where any bonuses for it would be conveyed to you.

              Thank you... under 2.6.1, it still seems to add the weight of the
              armor to the encumberance calculation, when equipped. This, (I
              think) makes a bug...

              -Don
            • STILES, BRAD
              Message 6 of 17 , May 2, 2002

                Can it also be added to messages that are posted to the list? I know some
                list servers have the ability to add a footer (or a header) to each and
                every messages that comes over, but I don't know if Yahoo gives that ability
                to the list users. They obviously do it themselves with the ads.

                Brad
              • Pappa Schlumpf aka Christian Stoehr
                Message 7 of 17 , May 2, 2002
                  On Thu, 2 May 2002, STILES, BRAD wrote:

                  >Can it also be added to messages that are posted to the list? I know some
                  >list servers have the ability to add a footer (or a header) to each and
                  >every messages that comes over, but I don't know if Yahoo gives that ability
                  >to the list users. They obviously do it themselves with the ads.
                  >
                  >Brad

                  Yahoogroups is able to do this. Unter Group Settings - Welcome Message and
                  Footer (as Moderator).

                  Schlumpf.
                  --
                  Christian Stoehr aka Pappa Schlumpf (ICQ: 105220378)
                  email:pappa_s@... WWW: www.pappa-s.de.vu
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 2, 2002
                    I think worn armor still counts as weight towards your encumbrance. I don't
                    have a PHB at hand, so I can't double-check.

                    Dan

                    > > On the Inventory tab, changed the item to "Equipped" to indicate
                    > that
                    > > armor is worn, weapons/shields are in-hand, rings are on fingers,
                    > > etc. Carried means just that - somewhere no your person, but not
                    > in
                    > > a place where any bonuses for it would be conveyed to you.
                    >
                    > Thank you... under 2.6.1, it still seems to add the weight of the
                    > armor to the encumberance calculation, when equipped. This, (I
                    > think) makes a bug...
                    >
                    > -Don

                  • merton_monk
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 2, 2002
                      Yup - saw that. Just changed the footer to include:

                      maybe it will take effect with this message. :)
                      Maybe I should include a link to where you can download java?

                      -Bryan

                      --- In pcgen@y..., Pappa Schlumpf aka Christian Stoehr

                      Message 10 of 17 , May 2, 2002
                        > Yup - saw that. Just changed the footer to include:

                        > maybe it will take effect with this message. :)
                        > Maybe I should include a link to where you can download java?

                        It would be useful.

                        As far as the answer to the other question, I found out I can mask
                        the encumberance problem by manually flipping Carry=0. When I equip
                        the armor, it will REMOVE the armor from the equation, but as I
                        said, it just masks the problem.

                        BTW: Alcolades on the program. I can see why WoTC dumped Master
                        Tools. :)
                      • Benjamin Pew
                        Message 11 of 17 , May 2, 2002
                          I don't believe that it says any where that the weight of armor doesn't
                          count toward encumberance. All it says is that if you have medium armor and
                          a heavy load, you just get the encumbrance penalty to your skill checks and
                          such, not both.

                          > Yup - saw that. Just changed the footer to include:

                          > maybe it will take effect with this message. :)
                          > Maybe I should include a link to where you can download java?

                          It would be useful.

                          As far as the answer to the other question, I found out I can mask
                          the encumberance problem by manually flipping Carry=0. When I equip
                          the armor, it will REMOVE the armor from the equation, but as I
                          said, it just masks the problem.

                          BTW: Alcolades on the program. I can see why WoTC dumped Master
                          Tools. :)

                        • gsbingl
                          Message 12 of 17 , May 2, 2002
                            Or you could customize the armor and set the weight to zero.

                            Byngl

                            --- In pcgen@y..., "sleepily" <macphee@c...> wrote:
                            > --- In pcgen@y..., "merton_monk" <merton_monk@y...> wrote:
                            > > Yup - saw that. Just changed the footer to include:
                            > > PCGen's FAQ: http://pedertest.officeline.no/PCGen
                            >
                            > > maybe it will take effect with this message. :)
                            > > Maybe I should include a link to where you can download java?
                            >
                            > It would be useful.
                            >
                            > As far as the answer to the other question, I found out I can mask
                            > the encumberance problem by manually flipping Carry=0. When I equip
                            > the armor, it will REMOVE the armor from the equation, but as I
                            > said, it just masks the problem.
                            >
                            > BTW: Alcolades on the program. I can see why WoTC dumped Master
                            > Tools. :)
                          • Dan Young
                            Message 13 of 17 , May 2, 2002
                              Actually, the category of the armor and load aren't directly compared; the
                              penalties applied are. You take the worst Max Dex and the worst Armor Check
                              Penalty by looking at the worn armor and the load carried. Hence my problem
                              in Dragonstar where the medium load(+3 dex, -3 armor check) is more
                              restrictive than the powered armor my character is wearing(+1 dex, -0 armor
                              check). With respect to armor check, at least.

                              Dan

                              > I don't believe that it says any where that the weight of armor doesn't
                              > count toward encumberance. All it says is that if you have medium armor
                              and
                              > a heavy load, you just get the encumbrance penalty to your skill checks
                              and
                              > such, not both.
                            • Dan Young
                              Message 14 of 17 , May 2, 2002
                                Note: use of 'problem' below indicates personal unhappiness with the result,
                                not an error on PCGen's part. Heh.

                                Dan

                                > Actually, the category of the armor and load aren't directly compared; the
                                > penalties applied are. You take the worst Max Dex and the worst Armor
                                Check
                                > Penalty by looking at the worn armor and the load carried. Hence my
                                problem
                                > in Dragonstar where the medium load(+3 dex, -3 armor check) is more
                                > restrictive than the powered armor my character is wearing(+1 dex, -0
                                armor
                                > check). With respect to armor check, at least.
                                >
                                > Dan
                              • sleepily
                                Message 15 of 17 , May 2, 2002
                                  --- In pcgen@y..., Benjamin Pew <benpew@a...> wrote:
                                  > I don't believe that it says any where that the weight of armor
                                  doesn't
                                  > count toward encumberance. All it says is that if you have medium
                                  armor and
                                  > a heavy load, you just get the encumbrance penalty to your skill
                                  checks and
                                  > such, not both.

                                  Hmm..

                                  I had always interpreted them as seperate. It's in the example that
                                  they combine them.

                                  Blast. More Bags of Holding I guess. ;)

                                  -Don
                                • Keith Davies
                                  Message 16 of 17 , May 2, 2002
                                    On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 01:03:51PM -0000, sleepily wrote:

                                    > BTW: Alcolades on the program. I can see why WoTC dumped Master
                                    > Tools. :)

                                    I don't think it's because they're afraid of us -- if they were, it
                                    seems more likely they'd try to shut us down. There are people (well,
                                    one at least) in the beta program for MT.

                                    I think the reason Wizards is having so much trouble with MT is the
                                    sheer scope of the problem. This is *not* a simple project, especially
                                    when third-party products (and Wizard's products, for that matter) keep
                                    extending and changing the rules.

                                    I'd hate to have to get this program working for a living -- getting a
                                    good product out the door would cost way too much. It's a good thing
                                    Bryan got us started and it's all voluntary... I don't mind *giving* my
                                    time to this, but if I were drawing a cheque there'd be too much
                                    pressure....

                                    Keith
                                    --
                                    Keith Davies
                                    kjdavies@...

                                    DM : You search the storeroom and find a barrel marked 'elf pudding'.
                                    Random: Elven pudding! Wonderful stuff. Gimme!
                                    Dolarn: We're in a goblin lair and it says 'elf pudding'. I wouldn't.
                                    Random: What?! You mean... <hyuuuurfff>