Re: FAQ addition

  • merton_monk
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2002
      There aren't many, but they do happen. There are many bug fixes from
      one version to the next, so it's quite possible that the issue was
      resolved in one version, but in such a way that only newly created
      characters won't have the problem - it may have even been that an
      older version had a bug that let it save itself in a state where the
      problem was non-correctable. None of these situations happen often -
      but it's worth it to mention it. The more analysis we can get a user
      to do before they report a bug, the less we have to do which means
      the bug turn-around period is that much faster.

      -Bryan

      --- In pcgen@y..., "Stuart Updegrave" <stuart@m...> wrote:

      > This latter stipulation is rather onerous. Why so many
      > backward-compatibility problems?

    • Tom Albrecht
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2002
        If there was a bug in character creation in an order version, it might
        create a bad PCG file, which wouldn't be correctly read in newer version.
        It's not necessarily a matter of data incompatiblity between versions.

        Tom Albrecht III

        On Wed, 1 May 2002, Stuart Updegrave wrote:

        > This latter stipulation is rather onerous. Why so many
        > backward-compatibility problems?

        /// <autogenerated>
        /// This email was generated by a tool.
        /// </autogenerated>
      • STILES, BRAD
        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2002

          The problems between close versions are rare, though they do occur. It's
          the ones where folks are trying to read in characters from very old
          versions, more than 5 revisions, where the problems are most likely to
          occur.

          Brad