FAQ addition

  • STILES, BRAD
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2002
      Would the maintainer of the FAQ please consider the inclusion of something
      along the lines of the following?

      Before reporting a bug, verify that you are using the current version of the
      program. If you aren't, download and install the most current version, and
      see if you can duplicate the problem. If you can, proceed to report the
      bug, otherwise your problem is solved.

      PCGen sometimes has a problem importing characters from previous versions,
      especially if that "previous version" is several releases old. If the
      problem you are experiencing is with a PCG file that was created in a
      previous version of PCGen, try recreating that character from scratch using
      the current version of the program. If the problem still occurs, report the
      bug.

      Thanks,
      Brad
    • Stuart Updegrave
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2002
        This latter stipulation is rather onerous. Why so many
        backward-compatibility problems?

      • merton_monk
        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2002
          There aren't many, but they do happen. There are many bug fixes from
          one version to the next, so it's quite possible that the issue was
          resolved in one version, but in such a way that only newly created
          characters won't have the problem - it may have even been that an
          older version had a bug that let it save itself in a state where the
          problem was non-correctable. None of these situations happen often -
          but it's worth it to mention it. The more analysis we can get a user
          to do before they report a bug, the less we have to do which means
          the bug turn-around period is that much faster.

          -Bryan

          --- In pcgen@y..., "Stuart Updegrave" <stuart@m...> wrote:

          > This latter stipulation is rather onerous. Why so many
          > backward-compatibility problems?

        • Tom Albrecht
          Message 4 of 7 , May 1, 2002
            If there was a bug in character creation in an order version, it might
            create a bad PCG file, which wouldn't be correctly read in newer version.
            It's not necessarily a matter of data incompatiblity between versions.

            Tom Albrecht III

            On Wed, 1 May 2002, Stuart Updegrave wrote:

            > This latter stipulation is rather onerous. Why so many
            > backward-compatibility problems?

            /// <autogenerated>
            /// This email was generated by a tool.
            /// </autogenerated>
          • STILES, BRAD
            Message 5 of 7 , May 1, 2002

              The problems between close versions are rare, though they do occur. It's
              the ones where folks are trying to read in characters from very old
              versions, more than 5 revisions, where the problems are most likely to
              occur.

              Brad