Damage Calculation Question

  • dafrca
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2002
      Hello All,

      Our group has started to use PCGen for the whole group. I started to
      build my character in the program and have run into a minor glitch.
      It might be my error so if it is please don't flame me too much.

      Because I am so close to the next level I built the character two
      ways. One at each of the levels. When I go to the next level I
      receive another Attribute point. When I print the two out the Damage
      calculation listed is not what I thought it should be. I have redone
      the character twice just to be sure I did not click something I
      should not have. I need your help.

      The character is a Fighter.

      Character is STR 17 Damage is +3
      Use Weapon 2-Handed Damage is +1
      Specialize in Weapon Damage is +2
      Weapon is Magical Damage is +2
      Total Should be (1d10) +8 but PCGen lists it as (1d10) +9

      When I level and the character is:
      Character is STR 18 Damage is +4
      Use Weapon 2-Handed Damage is +2
      Specialize in Weapon Damage is +2
      Weapon is Magical Damage is +2
      Total Should be (1d10) +10 but PCGen lists it as (1d10) +12

      OK, so where is the extra damage coming from? Any help would be
      useful, even if it is I am doing something wrong.

      dafrca
    • merton_monk
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2002
        Could you upload your pcg file to the Files/Character PCG files
        folder here at yahoo? That would be the easiest way to verify what's
        going on with your character.

        -Bryan

        --- In pcgen@y..., "dafrca" <danielc@e...> wrote:
        > Hello All,
        >
        > Our group has started to use PCGen for the whole group. I started
        > build my character in the program and have run into a minor glitch.
        > It might be my error so if it is please don't flame me too much.
        >
        > Because I am so close to the next level I built the character two
        > ways. One at each of the levels. When I go to the next level I
        > receive another Attribute point. When I print the two out the
        Damage
        > calculation listed is not what I thought it should be. I have
        redone
        > the character twice just to be sure I did not click something I
        > should not have. I need your help.
        >
        > The character is a Fighter.
        >
        > Character is STR 17 Damage is +3
        > Use Weapon 2-Handed Damage is +1
        > Specialize in Weapon Damage is +2
        > Weapon is Magical Damage is +2
        > Total Should be (1d10) +8 but PCGen lists it as (1d10) +9
        >
        > When I level and the character is:
        > Character is STR 18 Damage is +4
        > Use Weapon 2-Handed Damage is +2
        > Specialize in Weapon Damage is +2
        > Weapon is Magical Damage is +2
        > Total Should be (1d10) +10 but PCGen lists it as (1d10) +12
        >
        > OK, so where is the extra damage coming from? Any help would be
        > useful, even if it is I am doing something wrong.
        >
        > dafrca
      • dafrca
        Message 3 of 8 , May 1, 2002
          Bryan,

          It is in the Character PCG files folder now. It is called "Sarah.pcg".

          dafrca

          > Could you upload your pcg file to the Files/Character PCG files
          > folder here at yahoo? That would be the easiest way to verify
          what's
          > going on with your character.
          >
          > -Bryan
          >
          > --- In pcgen@y..., "dafrca" <danielc@e...> wrote:
          > > Hello All,
          > >
          > > Our group has started to use PCGen for the whole group. I started
          > > build my character in the program and have run into a minor
          glitch.
          > > It might be my error so if it is please don't flame me too much.
          > >
          > > Because I am so close to the next level I built the character two
          > > ways. One at each of the levels. When I go to the next level I
          > > receive another Attribute point. When I print the two out the
          > Damage
          > > calculation listed is not what I thought it should be. I have
          > redone
          > > the character twice just to be sure I did not click something I
          > > should not have. I need your help.
          > >
          > > The character is a Fighter.
          > >
          > > Character is STR 17 Damage is +3
          > > Use Weapon 2-Handed Damage is +1
          > > Specialize in Weapon Damage is +2
          > > Weapon is Magical Damage is +2
          > > Total Should be (1d10) +8 but PCGen lists it as (1d10) +9
          > >
          > > When I level and the character is:
          > > Character is STR 18 Damage is +4
          > > Use Weapon 2-Handed Damage is +2
          > > Specialize in Weapon Damage is +2
          > > Weapon is Magical Damage is +2
          > > Total Should be (1d10) +10 but PCGen lists it as (1d10) +12
          > >
          > > OK, so where is the extra damage coming from? Any help would be
          > > useful, even if it is I am doing something wrong.
          > >
          > > dafrca
        • merton_monk
          Message 4 of 8 , May 1, 2002
            > > --- In pcgen@y..., "dafrca" <danielc@e...> wrote:
            > > > Hello All,
            > > >
            > > > Our group has started to use PCGen for the whole group. I
            started
            > > > build my character in the program and have run into a minor
            > glitch.
            > > > It might be my error so if it is please don't flame me too much.
            > > >
            > > > Because I am so close to the next level I built the character
            two
            > > > ways. One at each of the levels. When I go to the next level I
            > > > receive another Attribute point. When I print the two out the
            > > Damage
            > > > calculation listed is not what I thought it should be. I have
            > > redone
            > > > the character twice just to be sure I did not click something I
            > > > should not have. I need your help.
            > > >
            > > > The character is a Fighter.

            Your character is 9th level - going to 10th level doesn't normally
            let you add an attribute point, but I'll assume it's rule #0.

            > > > Character is STR 17 Damage is +3
            > > > Use Weapon 2-Handed Damage is +1
            > > > Specialize in Weapon Damage is +2
            > > > Weapon is Magical Damage is +2
            > > > Total Should be (1d10) +8 but PCGen lists it as (1d10) +9

            I'm using PCGen 2.6.1 and I get +8

            > > > When I level and the character is:
            > > > Character is STR 18 Damage is +4
            > > > Use Weapon 2-Handed Damage is +2
            > > > Specialize in Weapon Damage is +2
            > > > Weapon is Magical Damage is +2
            > > > Total Should be (1d10) +10 but PCGen lists it as (1d10) +12

            2.6.1 also gets +10.

            So - I'm not sure if there was a problem with 2.5.2 when you saved
            your character (that's the version stamp in it), but with 2.6.1 it
            seems to work just fine. :)

            -Bryan

            > > > OK, so where is the extra damage coming from? Any help would be
            > > > useful, even if it is I am doing something wrong.
            > > >
            > > > dafrca
          • dafrca
            Message 5 of 8 , May 1, 2002
              Hello Bryan,

              > Your character is 9th level - going to 10th level doesn't normally
              > let you add an attribute point, but I'll assume it's rule #0.

              Sorry, the Character is at 11th now. I stoped building the file once
              the issue happened. I tested the attribute to see if it was a
              rounding error with the two hand use. So the file I have saved is the
              ninth level one.

              > I'm using PCGen 2.6.1 and I get +8

              OK, interesting....

              > 2.6.1 also gets +10.
              >
              > So - I'm not sure if there was a problem with 2.5.2 when you saved
              > your character (that's the version stamp in it), but with 2.6.1 it
              > seems to work just fine. :)
              >
              > -Bryan

              OK, so I went and rebuilt the character from scratch and still get
              the errors. So I deleted the whole PCGen and reloaded from the start.
              Still get the error. I am stumped. I have sent the file to a couple
              of friends as well. Maybe something glitched when I updated to 2.6.1
              on my side. I will have to try reloading the whole thing. Oh well...

              dafrca
            • Kevin Brown
              Message 6 of 8 , May 1, 2002
                Base attack bonus does NOT affect Damage, only your to-hit roll.

                > Hi, dafrca,
                >
                > You did not factor in the fighter's class base attack bonus in this...

                > >The character is a Fighter.
                > >
                > >Character is STR 17 Damage is +3
                > >Use Weapon 2-Handed Damage is +1
                > >Specialize in Weapon Damage is +2
                > >Weapon is Magical Damage is +2
                > > Total Should be (1d10) +8 but PCGen lists it as (1d10) +9
                > >
                > >When I level and the character is:
                > >Character is STR 18 Damage is +4
                > >Use Weapon 2-Handed Damage is +2
                > >Specialize in Weapon Damage is +2
                > >Weapon is Magical Damage is +2
                > > Total Should be (1d10) +10 but PCGen lists it as (1d10) +12
                > >
                > >OK, so where is the extra damage coming from? Any help would be
                > >useful, even if it is I am doing something wrong.
                > >
                > >dafrca
                >
                > Regards,
                > RageHeart
                > rageheart@...

              • RageHeart
                Message 7 of 8 , May 1, 2002

                  At 5/1/2002 3:33:00 PM you wrote:

                  >The character is a Fighter.
                  >
                  >Character is STR 17 Damage is +3
                  >Use Weapon 2-Handed Damage is +1
                  >Specialize in Weapon Damage is +2
                  >Weapon is Magical Damage is +2
                  > Total Should be (1d10) +8 but PCGen lists it as (1d10) +9
                  >
                  >When I level and the character is:
                  >Character is STR 18 Damage is +4
                  >Use Weapon 2-Handed Damage is +2
                  >Specialize in Weapon Damage is +2
                  >Weapon is Magical Damage is +2
                  > Total Should be (1d10) +10 but PCGen lists it as (1d10) +12
                  >
                  >OK, so where is the extra damage coming from? Any help would be
                  >useful, even if it is I am doing something wrong.
                  >
                  >dafrca

                  Regards,
                  RageHeart
                  rageheart@...
                • RageHeart
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 1, 2002
                    Hi, dafrca,

                    Nevermind, Damage, not to hit... ( Need.. More.... Coffeeeeee.)

                    Regards,
                    RageHeart
                    rageheart@...