Re: Racial spells can now be done in PCGen

  • merton_monk
    Message 1 of 19 , May 1, 2002
      The charactersheets shouldn't need any changing. The Race is added
      to the list of spellcasting classes and the spells all show up as
      level 0 spells for the race. There's no way to associate a caster-
      level yet - this could be done more easily in an SA: tag. Since
      most charactersheets display all the spells in the "Known Spells"
      list, in my own testing I had the racial spells all go to the Known
      Spells list... e.g. I modified Halflings to have
      SPELL:Magic Missile|2|Known Spells
      so it would show up in the "Halfling" level 0 list of spells as Magic
      Missile(x2) on my charactersheet.

      -Bryan

    • SR_Shayd
      Message 2 of 19 , May 1, 2002
        One more time as I screw up basic Yahoo Groups instructions.

        I am trying to figure out a way to display the proper "per day, Save
        DC" for innate spells. I suggested to Merton (in an unfortunate
        private email, sorry) that this be done via modifying the Races so
        that one can define a spell stat (CHA, etc) and adding some token
        variable for per-day usage, but that's an imperfect solution. I also
        tried to muck about with DEFINE in the race file and that didn't work.

        Suggestions?
      • jojo_starfinder
        Message 3 of 19 , May 1, 2002
          Thats kinda where I was going with my question. I called it a
          description tag/token but SA or anything like that would work, which
          is what I was after. Will the innate spell entry for races have its
          own SA tag. I guess you could also just put that info in the races
          normal SA tag section though. How many times per day, what type of
          spellcaster and level the innate spell mimics and such.

          --- In pcgen@y..., "SR_Shayd" <shayd@c...> wrote:
          > One more time as I screw up basic Yahoo Groups instructions.
          >
          > I am trying to figure out a way to display the proper "per day,
          Save
          > DC" for innate spells. I suggested to Merton (in an unfortunate
          > private email, sorry) that this be done via modifying the Races so
          > that one can define a spell stat (CHA, etc) and adding some token
          > variable for per-day usage, but that's an imperfect solution. I
          also
          > tried to muck about with DEFINE in the race file and that didn't
          work.

          > Suggestions?
        • Tir Gwaith
          Message 4 of 19 , May 1, 2002
            How about when I upgrade the MM I add an SA like
            "Innate spells as X level Y,Innate Spell DC %+spelllevel|Formula"

            Where formula is usually 10+X+SpellStat, and I leave off the "+ spelllevel"
            portion for those that have a set DC for their different spellevel
            spells....

            Would that make people happy for now? I don't think this should become our
            focus right now, and that little bit will make it passable for now: it will
            be on the csheet.

            Anyone object to 99 times for 'At Will' racial spells?

            This is for Innate spells/spell-like abilities.. For those that actually
            cast spells as a certain level, I have different plans, with their own
            Monster class, ADD:SPELLCASTER, and BONUS:PCLEVEL, like the dragons. I
            learned a lot from them. :)

            Tir Gwaith
            LST Chimp
            MM Race Dragon

            > Thats kinda where I was going with my question. I called it a
            > description tag/token but SA or anything like that would work, which
            > is what I was after. Will the innate spell entry for races have its
            > own SA tag. I guess you could also just put that info in the races
            > normal SA tag section though. How many times per day, what type of
            > spellcaster and level the innate spell mimics and such.
            >
            > --- In pcgen@y..., "SR_Shayd" <shayd@c...> wrote:
            > > One more time as I screw up basic Yahoo Groups instructions.
            > >
            > > I am trying to figure out a way to display the proper "per day,
            > Save
            > > DC" for innate spells. I suggested to Merton (in an unfortunate
            > > private email, sorry) that this be done via modifying the Races so
            > > that one can define a spell stat (CHA, etc) and adding some token
            > > variable for per-day usage, but that's an imperfect solution. I
            > also
            > > tried to muck about with DEFINE in the race file and that didn't
            > work.
            > >
            > > Suggestions?
          • merton_monk
            Message 5 of 19 , May 1, 2002
              The "times" section of the tag can already indicate times per day.
              SPELL:name|times|book[restrictions]
              Caster level and what to base DC on are the things which cannot be
              addressed in this... as you suggest, assuming CHA might not be a bad
              idea but we're trying not to hardcode things. Most of this can be
              indicated in an SA: tag for now. I'll have lots of brainstorming
              time this next week so I'll put this on my agenda. :)

              -Bryan

              --- In pcgen@y..., "jojo_starfinder" <jojo_starfinder@h...> wrote:
              > Thats kinda where I was going with my question. I called it a
              > description tag/token but SA or anything like that would work,
              which
              > is what I was after. Will the innate spell entry for races have its
              > own SA tag. I guess you could also just put that info in the races
              > normal SA tag section though. How many times per day, what type of
              > spellcaster and level the innate spell mimics and such.
              >
              > --- In pcgen@y..., "SR_Shayd" <shayd@c...> wrote:
              > > One more time as I screw up basic Yahoo Groups instructions.
              > >
              > > I am trying to figure out a way to display the proper "per day,
              > Save
              > > DC" for innate spells. I suggested to Merton (in an unfortunate
              > > private email, sorry) that this be done via modifying the Races so
              > > that one can define a spell stat (CHA, etc) and adding some token
              > > variable for per-day usage, but that's an imperfect solution. I
              > also
              > > tried to muck about with DEFINE in the race file and that didn't
              > work.
              > >
              > > Suggestions?
            • merton_monk
              Message 6 of 19 , May 1, 2002
                How about calling the spellbook "At Will"... that should make it
                clear that the "times" field could be ignored.... in any event, 99
                seems a bit forced. Hm... maybe we could make "-1" times be
                displayed as "At Will" or "Unlimited"? I guess 99 would work for
                now - we can always use a script to change them all to -1 if we
                decide to go that route.

                -Bryan

              • Tir Gwaith
                Message 7 of 19 , May 1, 2002
                  I'll play with it this weekend. Yeah, the 99 times is forced:.that was the
                  point. Like the price on unpriced mounts in monmanmounts, just trying to
                  make it glaringly obvious.

                  -1 times would be great to be "At Will"
                  Tir Gwaith
                  LST Chimp
                  MM Race Dragon

                  > How about calling the spellbook "At Will"... that should make it
                  > clear that the "times" field could be ignored.... in any event, 99
                  > seems a bit forced. Hm... maybe we could make "-1" times be
                  > displayed as "At Will" or "Unlimited"? I guess 99 would work for
                  > now - we can always use a script to change them all to -1 if we
                  > decide to go that route.
                  >
                  > -Bryan
                  >
                  > --- In pcgen@y..., "Tir Gwaith" <tir_gwaith@h...> wrote:
                  > > How about when I upgrade the MM I add an SA like
                  > > "Innate spells as X level Y,Innate Spell DC %+spelllevel|Formula"
                  > >
                  > > Where formula is usually 10+X+SpellStat, and I leave off the "+
                  > spelllevel"
                  > > portion for those that have a set DC for their different spellevel
                  > > spells....
                  > >
                  > > Would that make people happy for now? I don't think this should
                  > become our
                  > > focus right now, and that little bit will make it passable for now:
                  > it will
                  > > be on the csheet.
                  > >
                  > > Anyone object to 99 times for 'At Will' racial spells?
                  > >
                  > > This is for Innate spells/spell-like abilities.. For those that
                  > actually
                  > > cast spells as a certain level, I have different plans, with their
                  > own
                  > > Monster class, ADD:SPELLCASTER, and BONUS:PCLEVEL, like the
                  > dragons. I
                  > > learned a lot from them. :)
                  > >
                  > > Tir Gwaith
                  > > LST Chimp
                  > > MM Race Dragon

                • Spekkio
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 2, 2002
                    Tir Gwaith wrote:

                    > How about when I upgrade the MM I add an SA like
                    > "Innate spells as X level Y,Innate Spell DC %+spelllevel|Formula"
                    > Anyone object to 99 times for 'At Will' racial spells?

                    Assuming we are talking about uses per day, then 0 = At Will would be
                    preferred here. Of course, both "solutions'" will surely cause a
                    problem some day.

                    > Tir Gwaith
                    > LST Chimp
                    > MM Race Dragon
                  • emperorfranz
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 3, 2002
                      Don't forget that Gnomes also get the innate spell-like ability
                      to "Speak with Animals" for small burrowing animals as a 1st level
                      sorcerer and no minimum stat is required for this one.
                      Later,
                      Hugo

                      --- In pcgen@y..., "gsbingl" <byngl@h...> wrote:
                      > It would be:
                      >
                      > SPELL:Dancing Lights|1|Innate|Ghost
                      > Sound|1|Innate|Prestidigitation|1|Innate[PRESTAT:INT=10]
                      >
                      > Byngl
                      >
                      > --- In pcgen@y..., Thomas Clegg <arknight@s...> wrote:
                      > > > Certain races, like Gnomes, have a minimum Intelligence score
                      as
                      > > > prerequisite for Innate spell abilities. Having an ability as
                      > > > prereq falls outside the alignment and level prereqs you stated
                      > > > above.
                      > >
                      > > My understanding is that it'd just be:
                      > >
                      > > SPELL:Magic Missile|2|Innate|Faerie Fire|3|Innate|[PRESTAT:INT=13]
                      > >
                      > > or something like that for the Gnomes
                      > >
                      > > Tom
                    • Tir Gwaith
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 3, 2002
                        How would people like that done, as a "Speak with Animals" spell, or create
                        a "Speak with Small Burrowing Animals" ? Although I won't be doing the PHb
                        stuff unless Mynex asks me to, it will effect how I go about doing the
                        specialized monster spells from the MM.

                        Tir Gwaith
                        LST Chimp
                        MM Race Dragon

                        > Don't forget that Gnomes also get the innate spell-like ability
                        > to "Speak with Animals" for small burrowing animals as a 1st level
                        > sorcerer and no minimum stat is required for this one.
                        > Later,
                        > Hugo
                        >
                        > --- In pcgen@y..., "gsbingl" <byngl@h...> wrote:
                        > > It would be:
                        > >
                        > > SPELL:Dancing Lights|1|Innate|Ghost
                        > > Sound|1|Innate|Prestidigitation|1|Innate[PRESTAT:INT=10]
                        > >
                        > > Byngl

                        > as
                        > > >
                        > > > My understanding is that it'd just be:
                        > > >
                        > > > SPELL:Magic Missile|2|Innate|Faerie Fire|3|Innate|[PRESTAT:INT=13]
                        > > >
                        > > > or something like that for the Gnomes
                        > > >
                        > > > Tom

                      • Tir Gwaith
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 3, 2002
                          Ok, I'll try both 0 and -1 this weekend, and see if either of them break
                          things.

                          Tir Gwaith
                          LST Chimp
                          MM Race Dragon