Problem with customising of weapons

  • Martin Brabander
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2002
      I have just created a elven fighter mage, and tried to equip him with a
      magic longsword.

      * When I equip a longsword, proficiency is ok
      * When I equip a longsword +1, proficiency is ok
      * When I make the +1 longsword a keen weapon, I am no longer
      proficient :(

      Kim pcg is attached for illustration.

      Martin
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2002
        On Wed, 1 May 2002, Martin Brabander wrote:

        :I have just created a elven fighter mage, and tried to equip him with a
        :magic longsword.
        :
        :
        : * When I equip a longsword, proficiency is ok
        : * When I equip a longsword +1, proficiency is ok
        : * When I make the +1 longsword a keen weapon, I am no longer
        : proficient :(

        I have the same problem with a crossbow w/ the grappling hook, even through
        it's considered a simple weapon.

        ---Andrew
      • merton_monk
        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2002
          Hm.... I see your version stamp says 2.6.1. I just tried it in 2.6.1
          and it showed your character as being proficient in Kims Longsword
          and Kims Longsword 2

          Is it showing up listed as red in your inventory tab? Does it
          include a -4 to hit on your character sheet? I generated one and it
          looked just fine.

          -Bryan

          --- In pcgen@y..., Martin Brabander <crazy-horse@p...> wrote:
          > I have just created a elven fighter mage, and tried to equip him
          with a
          > magic longsword.
          >

          > * When I equip a longsword, proficiency is ok
          > * When I equip a longsword +1, proficiency is ok
          > * When I make the +1 longsword a keen weapon, I am no longer
          > proficient :(
          >
          > Kim pcg is attached for illustration.
          >
          > Martin
        • Martin Brabander
          Message 4 of 7 , May 1, 2002
            merton_monk wrote:

            > Hm.... I see your version stamp says 2.6.1. I just tried it in 2.6.1
            > and it showed your character as being proficient in Kims Longsword
            > and Kims Longsword 2
            >
            > Is it showing up listed as red in your inventory tab? Does it
            > include a -4 to hit on your character sheet? I generated one and it
            > looked just fine.
            >
            > -Bryan

            Now that is the strangest thing I have ever seen with PcGen since v 1.2,
            Bryan!!!!

            Yes Kim was created with 2.6.1. I had saved the character, but had not
            closed it. When I sent the email, the 'Kims Longsword' was showing in red,
            with a big 'N' and when previewed, showed as non-proficient. Now I reopen
            the character, evertthing is shown as proficient (as you state).

            I have tried to recreate the error, but can't at this stage. I think I just
            have to put that one down to a gremlin.

            BTW Can I ask why the selection of weapons offered when you choose weapons
            focus as the free feat for a fighter (Don't say that fast!) is much narrower
            than if you close the dialogue box and just select through the feat tab.

            Martin
          • merton_monk
            Message 5 of 7 , May 1, 2002
              --- In pcgen@y..., Martin Brabander <crazy-horse@p...> wrote:
              > merton_monk wrote:
              >
              > > Hm.... I see your version stamp says 2.6.1. I just tried it in
              2.6.1
              > > and it showed your character as being proficient in Kims Longsword
              > > and Kims Longsword 2
              > >
              > > Is it showing up listed as red in your inventory tab? Does it
              > > include a -4 to hit on your character sheet? I generated one and
              it
              > > looked just fine.
              > >
              > > -Bryan
              > >

              > Now that is the strangest thing I have ever seen with PcGen since v
              1.2,
              > Bryan!!!!

              Ok - I'll bite. What strangeness do you remember from 1.2???? At
              that time the versions were daily... not the slow pace of only once a
              week we have now. ;)

              > Yes Kim was created with 2.6.1. I had saved the character, but had
              not
              > closed it. When I sent the email, the 'Kims Longsword' was showing
              in red,
              > with a big 'N' and when previewed, showed as non-proficient. Now I
              reopen
              > the character, evertthing is shown as proficient (as you state).
              >
              > I have tried to recreate the error, but can't at this stage. I
              think I just
              > have to put that one down to a gremlin.
              >
              > BTW Can I ask why the selection of weapons offered when you choose
              weapons
              > focus as the free feat for a fighter (Don't say that fast!) is much
              narrower
              > than if you close the dialogue box and just select through the feat
              tab.

              Yes - you can ask. :)

              -Bryan

              > Martin
            • Martin Brabander
              Message 6 of 7 , May 1, 2002
                merton_monk wrote:

                > --- In pcgen@y..., Martin Brabander <crazy-horse@p...> wrote:
                > > merton_monk wrote:
                > >
                > > > Hm.... I see your version stamp says 2.6.1. I just tried it in
                > 2.6.1
                > > > and it showed your character as being proficient in Kims Longsword
                > > > and Kims Longsword 2
                > > >
                > > > Is it showing up listed as red in your inventory tab? Does it
                > > > include a -4 to hit on your character sheet? I generated one and
                > it
                > > > looked just fine.
                > > >
                > > > -Bryan
                > > >

                > > Now that is the strangest thing I have ever seen with PcGen since v
                > 1.2,
                > > Bryan!!!!
                >
                > Ok - I'll bite. What strangeness do you remember from 1.2???? At
                > that time the versions were daily... not the slow pace of only once a
                > week we have now. ;)

                Sorry, that wasn't meant quite the way it read. When I started with v 1.1,
                everything was strange in terms of usage after the crud program that came out
                with the PHB. By the time I used version 1.2, and started advertising PC Gen
                on usenet, nothing seemed strange. We have had a few bugs, but your trusty
                fly swat has always worked well, and as you say, daily versions (if not
                better) meant I didn't have long to wait for a correction. The download
                times were slightly quicker in the good old days too ;) :) :)

                > > BTW Can I ask why the selection of weapons offered when you choose
                > weapons
                > > focus as the free feat for a fighter (Don't say that fast!) is much
                > narrower
                > > than if you close the dialogue box and just select through the feat
                > tab.
                >
                > Yes - you can ask. :)

                That's my job as 'test monkey the oldest' (I suspect all others from that
                time have evolved to far higher status up the simian tree)

                Martin
              • merton_monk
                Message 7 of 7 , May 1, 2002
                  --- In pcgen@y..., Martin Brabander <crazy-horse@p...> wrote:
                  > merton_monk wrote:
                  >
                  > > --- In pcgen@y..., Martin Brabander <crazy-horse@p...> wrote:

                  > > 2.6.1
                  Longsword

                  > > it

                  > > > Now that is the strangest thing I have ever seen with PcGen
                  since v
                  > > 1.2,
                  > > > Bryan!!!!
                  > >
                  > > Ok - I'll bite. What strangeness do you remember from 1.2???? At
                  > > that time the versions were daily... not the slow pace of only
                  once a
                  > > week we have now. ;)
                  > >

                  > Sorry, that wasn't meant quite the way it read. When I started
                  with v 1.1,
                  > everything was strange in terms of usage after the crud program
                  that came out
                  > with the PHB. By the time I used version 1.2, and started
                  advertising PC Gen
                  > on usenet, nothing seemed strange. We have had a few bugs, but
                  your trusty
                  > fly swat has always worked well, and as you say, daily versions (if
                  not
                  > better) meant I didn't have long to wait for a correction. The
                  download
                  > times were slightly quicker in the good old days too ;) :) :)

                  Now the data files alone are bigger than the original versions of
                  PCGen! Progress means bigger means better, right? ;)

                  > > > BTW Can I ask why the selection of weapons offered when you
                  choose
                  > > weapons
                  > > > focus as the free feat for a fighter (Don't say that fast!) is
                  much
                  > > narrower
                  > > > than if you close the dialogue box and just select through the
                  feat
                  > > tab.
                  > >
                  > > Yes - you can ask. :)
                  > >

                  > That's my job as 'test monkey the oldest' (I suspect all others
                  from that
                  > time have evolved to far higher status up the simian tree)

                  Yup - you definitely have seniority on that score. :)
                  The reason is that it appears that your automatic weapon
                  proficiencies haven't yet been generated by the time that first free
                  feat is taken. If you take it at second level you'll notice that the
                  problem is gone. One of those 'quirks' that needs some attention.
                  Now if anyone knew how to create a few extra hours every day - I
                  could put them to good use!

                  -Bryan