Virus alert! Don't fall for this!

  • merton_monk
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30, 2002
      Okay - typical virus message header is something to make you want to
      look at it... from the "come hither" type stuff to the "Some info you
      requested". The worm/virus I reported a little earlier seems to have
      stepped it up a notch - this email address is bogus and when I looked
      at the full headers it was from the same-bogus-address
      pierre.aussems@.... Here's the text of the message I got - it
      promises immunity from the klez work - DON'T BELIEVE IT! The fact
      that it tells you that it's a worm and to ignore your virus-scanner's
      complaint that it's a worm is a give-away that it's a malicious
      attempt to corrupt your system! The text....

      30 Apr 2002 07:17:25 -0700 (PDT)

      with SMTP; 30 Apr 2002 07:17:23 -0700 (PDT)

      Messaging Server 4.15) with SMTP id GVDX0L02.PIC for
      <merton_monk@...>; Tue, 30 Apr 2002 16:17:09 +0200

      From: "inet" <inet@...> | Block Address | Add to Address
      Book

      To: merton_monk@...

      Subject: Worm Klez.E immunity

      Klez.E is the most common world-wide spreading worm.It's very
      dangerous by corrupting your files.
      Because of its very smart stealth and anti-anti-virus technic,most
      common AV software can't detect or clean it.
      We developed this free immunity tool to defeat the malicious virus.
      You only need to run this tool once,and then Klez will never come
      into your PC.
      NOTE: Because this tool acts as a fake Klez to fool the real
      worm,some AV monitor maybe cry when you run it.
      If so,Ignore the warning,and select 'continue'.
      If you have any question,please mail to me.
    • STILES, BRAD
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 30, 2002

        Well, the poorly worded message would send red-flags up for me right away.
        But that's just me...

        Brad
      • John Rudd
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 30, 2002
          So, has someone been sending viruses around on this list?

          I'm just wondering, because I recently added some new procmail rules to my
          mail filters for blocking out messages that contain attachments with certain
          extensions. Ever since I did that, I haven't gotten any new viruses. If
          someone has sent them to this list, and I'm not aware of it, I'm thinking that
          means my filters are doing their job :-}
        • Gurgi The Brave
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 30, 2002
            Touch wood, but I havent seen any of the emails that you guys have been refering to which means it wasnt sent through the lists. Since I virus check on arrival and control my own mail delivery.
            However Im just wondering what you guys have in common. Do you all have yahoo email accounts which you use??

            In the middle ages to be a physicist was a pointy hat now of cause we need a hat and a large staff with a funny Knob on.
            Available on YIM Gurgi_the_Brave and ICQ 152646717